problem with xt brake. M785

brandfreak
brandfreak Posts: 137
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

Bleeding my rear brake this morning using the 2 syringe method, I discover oil leaking out from under the silver coloured brake cover (on the top) as I pushed oil through from the caliper end.

Has anyone else had this issue? How can I fix it? Is there a seal or something in the brake that needs replacing?

Many thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Why not use the proper Shimano method?maybe you exceeded the pressure seal is meant to cope with (Gravity for about 2" of fluid) by using the wrong method?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • twonks
    twonks Posts: 352
    I had the same issue when I bled my 785 brakes using the two syringe kit thing. (I'm sure the kit was recommended on the forum at the time :? )
    However, I backed off the force and essentially went to using the Shimano method and all is well.
    I bled my brakes as I had to shorten the hoses and they ended up rather spongy.
    After bleeding they perform superbly and are now easily the best and sharpest brakes I've had.
  • Gibbo GTI
    Gibbo GTI Posts: 98
    I use the Cyclo universal bleed kit. I was having problems bleeding the rear brake (m775) on mine using other methods so decided to buy this kit.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=15512
    GT Force Carbon Expert
    Carrera Fury
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    It's normal after bleeding, it's mentioned in the Shimano literature somewhere, it's just a bit of excess fluid.