New wheels - upgrade from Mavic CXP22's

Garbit
Garbit Posts: 54
edited May 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi there,

My rear wheel is definately in need of changing as the hub is rattling like an old lady and I'm missing about 6 spokes.

I'm currently riding a Giant Defy 2 2009 with Mavic CXP22 wheels and I'm looking for an equivilant or better replacement. I'm ~67kg and I was considering sticking a pannier rack on it for the c2c I'll be doing later on in a couple of weeks.

Budget ~£200

After doing a bit of reading/asking around I've come across;

Mavic Aksium - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=93155

And also Planet X wheels (not sure which one)
As I said I'll need these asap so quick responses are much appreciated

Thanks,

Andy

Comments

• t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Askiums are very good for the money and pretty much on your budget.

People rave about planet X too but I've never used them so can't comment.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Garbit
    I've been in contact with a bike repair guy and he basically said the low spoke count detracts from the durability of the wheel. He also mentioned that the spokes on those wheels are expensive and hard to get hold of if they break :/

However I've been advised to go with the fulcrum racing 7's, shumano rs30 / r501. Interestingly I've been offered a pair of hand built wheels for £210 (will edit with details of rims later on)
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,234
    Garbit wrote:
    I've been in contact with a bike repair guy and he basically said the low spoke count detracts from the durability of the wheel. He also mentioned that the spokes on those wheels are expensive and hard to get hold of if they break :/

However I've been advised to go with the fulcrum racing 7's, shumano rs30 / r501. Interestingly I've been offered a pair of hand built wheels for £210 (will edit with details of rims later on)

The repair guy is right, go with whoever offered you handbuilt... for 210 you should be able to get Open PRO, which mean business.
    The RS 30/501 are cack and the R7 are not an upgrade to what you have already.
    10 years ago the Aksium were very decent wheels and did retail for 150 a pair... since then they have gone cheaper and worse
    left the forum March 2023
  • Garbit
    edited May 2013
    The bike mech has said he'll use Kinlin* XR240 rims with 32 spokes. I did a bit of googling and I can't find much about them

*thanks ugo :)
  • ugo.santalucia
    Garbit wrote:
    The bike mech has said he'll use Keymet XR240 rims with 32 spokes. I did a bit of googling and I can't find much about them

Try Kinlin XR 240... :wink:

They are OK, but I would go for Open PRO, it is a more durable rim... built on 105 hubs with Alpina spokes should come at £ 210. If he can't do it for that price, contact the cycleclinic on this forum and he will... :wink:
  • Garbit
    The kinlin rim model is xr270 or xr240. They are cheaper than open pros but just as good in my opinion - only downside would be faster rim wwear but this can be negated by using certain brake pads. Open pros were the default choice for years, but a bit outdated now - if you want to spend open pro money you would be better off with velocity a23 or h plus son archetype. Both are wider than open pro which gives better lateral stiffness and aerodynamics (smoother tyre / rim transition) but at the same weight as open pros. Think around £280 - £350 /pair but they would be truly awesome wheels!

The builder has basically said he'd be using the kinlin rims (built and fitted @£210) which are cheaper than the Open pros/velocity a23 (£280 - £350) his prices.

I do kind of need this done asap so I'm not really sure
  • ugo.santalucia
    Garbit wrote:
    The kinlin rim model is xr270 or xr240. They are cheaper than open pros but just as good in my opinion - only downside would be faster rim wwear but this can be negated by using certain brake pads. Open pros were the default choice for years, but a bit outdated now - if you want to spend open pro money you would be better off with velocity a23 or h plus son archetype. Both are wider than open pro which gives better lateral stiffness and aerodynamics (smoother tyre / rim transition) but at the same weight as open pros. Think around £280 - £350 /pair but they would be truly awesome wheels!

The builder has basically said he'd be using the kinlin rims (built and fitted @£210) which are cheaper than the Open pros/velocity a23 (£280 - £350) his prices.

I do kind of need this done asap so I'm not really sure

The price depends on which hubs he uses of course... if he uses 105 hubs he is a bit dear, if he uses Ultegra or Hope hubs those quotes are OK.

Roughly speaking, you can check the RRP for hubs and rims, then add 20-40 pounds for the spokes, depending on brand, then add 40-50 pounds for the build and you have your total... if it is way off that figure, then look elsewhere.

You can get Shimano wheels quickly online, but they are "shxt" and you will have to live with that for a while, sometimes it is better to wait a week or two and get something good instead... :wink:
  • alanparsons
    alanparsons Posts: 529
    I have just had a pair of Open Pros made up with wheelsmith spokes for £86 each, I supplied the hubs (Ultegra 32h), and they are F*ckin' fantastic!!
    All in the price was £265 as I got the hubs in the CRC sale.
    I would say with 105 hubs you would be in budget and you could choose Silver or Black. (Black spokes are more expensive though)
  • Garbit
    Looks like they'll be Novatec A171/F172 hubs and Kinlin XR270 / XR240 rims
  • ugo.santalucia
    Garbit wrote:
    Looks like they'll be Novatec A171/F172 hubs and Kinlin XR270 / XR240 rims

For those, assuming they are the ones with no stickers and logos, a good price point is 180-200 (without delivery) depending on spokes... the higher quote being for Sapim or DT Swiss.
    They are good hubs for the money