Bike trainer

GSJ
GSJ Posts: 150
edited May 2013 in Road buying advice
Considering buying the elite magnetic trainer from halfords which is on offer at the moment, my only question is do you really need to get a spare slick tyre to put on and why do people do this? What will it do to the tyre that I use normally if its normal wear what you would get on a road is it really worth the hassle of changing your tyre every time and spending extra money on a new tyre.
My other questions is it okay to use in the garden as there really isn't much room anywhere in my house.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    You need a turbo tyre otherwise your normal road tyre will die pretty quickly.
    It is made to withstand much higher temps and stresses.
    Living MY dream.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    You only really need a turbo specific tyre if you're using high resistances, or if you have soft race tyres on your bike as standard. Either use an old tyre, or buy something like a Gatorskin.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • GSJ
    I have rubino pros on, is that okay? Or would I need something else. And how quickly would my tyre die out if I were using it lets say..4x a week.
  • MattC59
    GSJ wrote:
    I have rubino pros on, is that okay? Or would I need something else. And how quickly would my tyre die out if I were using it lets say..4x a week.

They'll be fine. If you're using a high resistance you might find that the higher strain on the tyre might cause it to heat up or perhaps wear out prematurely. Rubio Pros aren't that expensive, so try it and see.

There are loads of people on here who use standard tyres on their turbo with no ill effect, myself included.
  • GSJ
    MattC59 wrote:
    GSJ wrote:

They'll be fine. If you're using a high resistance you might find that the higher strain on the tyre might cause it to heat up or perhaps wear out prematurely. Rubio Pros aren't that expensive, so try it and see.

There are loads of people on here who use standard tyres on their turbo with no ill effect, myself included.

Thanks for quickly reply.
    Do you change your tyre or just keep that same one on both for going out and trainer
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    A purpose made turbo tyre is around £20. I use the schwalbe blue tyre which also doesn't smell when in the trainer like the normal road tyres.
    Living MY dream.
  • MattC59
    GSJ wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    GSJ wrote:

Thanks for quickly reply.
    Do you change your tyre or just keep that same one on both for going out and trainer

The Rubino Pro will be fine on the Turbo, so if you're using it on the road then there's no need to swap it out for another one for Turbo use. Just keep an eye on it to make sure it's not suffering, if it is, then you know to get a tougher tyre.

As you don't need to worry about cornering grip or feel, if you do find that they wear, you can by cheap tyres for the turbo and swap them when you go out on the road.

I bought the cheapest wheel I could find, so that I don't have to swap the tyre every time I want to use he Turbo.
  • GSJ
    Okay thanks i'll see how it goes.

Does anyone know if the elite magnetic trainer will work on a fixed gear bike too? With bolts on the side. Or just specifically road bikes