Ribble gran fondo

dav1d1
dav1d1 Posts: 653
edited June 2013 in Road buying advice
Hello,

Looking at getting the ribble as my first road bike, but am a total newbie when it comes to group sets etc! Even though will be going to ribble later this week when am home, but just wanted some help for you about what would be best group set etc so am not a complete newbie when speaking to ribble

Comments

• freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    Dav1d1 wrote:
    Hello,

Looking at getting the ribble as my first road bike, but am a total newbie when it comes to group sets etc! Even though will be going to ribble later this week when am home, but just wanted some help for you about what would be best group set etc so am not a complete newbie when speaking to ribble

I have this, in my opinion if you are going for Shimano the 105 groupset offers the best performance/ value point in the Shimano range. Others peoples opinions may differ.

Ribble Gran Fondo Shimano
    Ribble Gran Fondo Carbon Road Frame L (54cm C to Top)
    Ribble Gran Fondo Carbon Road Forks 1 1/8-1 1/2 ITS
    ITM Headset 1 1/8- 1 1/2 Hidden 45x45 46mm
    Shimano 105 (5700) Black 10 Spd Double Groupset
    Shimano 105 5700 BB Cups (105 10 Double/Triple) Eng
    Shimano 105 Black 5700 Brakes
    Shimano 10 Spd 105 5700 Cassette 11-28
    Shimano 10 Spd 5701 105 Chain
    Shimano 105 Black Dbl 5750 10 Chainset Compact 172.5 34/50
    Shimano 105 Black (5700) 10 Dbl Fr Gear Braze-on
    Shimano 105 Black (5700) 10 Spd Rear Gear Short (SS)
    Shimano STI Levers 105 Black 5700 with cables Double
    ITM Pr Whls Aero 2.4 8/9/10 Shim
    Deda RHM 01 Bars Red Glossy 44cm
    Deda Zero 1 Stem Red Glossy 80mm
    CSN Superleggera K6 Saddle Black
    CSN Carbon S.E. Seatpillar 31.6 400mm
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    Basically the choice may well be heavily influenced by budget. 900 gets you Sora, and 1K gets you Tiagra or from Campy the Xenon/Veloce option.

From there you are looking at double/triple. Current top sellers seem to be compacts.

Do you have much riding experience? Any ideas on what you want from the bike?

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • freezing77
    cattytown wrote:
    Basically the choice may well be heavily influenced by budget. 900 gets you Sora, and 1K gets you Tiagra or from Campy the Xenon/Veloce option.

From there you are looking at double/triple.????

Paul.
  • dav1d1
    Thanks for the replies, is helping a lot! I have near to none road riding experience, just starting out so this will be my first bike road bike! Just trying to get my head around all the different items! Also just looking for nothing racing just to be able to do long rides, and than will look at a club and sportives!
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    At their respective price points you cannot go far wrong with either

Shimano 105
    SRAM Rival or Apex
    Campag Veloce

It all comes down to your preference re: shifting mechanism and the comfort factor behind the shape of the hoods on the shifters. For me, I like the SRAM double-tap system but accept that it's not for everybody. I have also tried the other two groupsets - think Veloce is a very reliable groupset for the money but some people don't like the Campag thumb shifter or the more positive clunk shift on the cassette. Shimano 105 is also absolutely fine (I have used them all) but for me I don't like the Shimano shift mechanism as much.

No doubt others would think the complete opposite - so try them all out and decide for yourself!

Gran Fondo is a decent bike and as a newcomer I would recommend (like the earlier poster) that you get a 50/34T compact chainset rather than a 53/39T double and a hill friendly cassette maybe 12/25T or even 12/28T. I know Apex can cope with a 32T cassette on the rear but that's overkill on a 34T compact for anybody with a modicum of fitness unless you're really cycling up some of the UK's stiffest climbs of 25%+.
  • cattytown
    Double/triple is the number of chainrings at the front. Within doubles you have traditional (53/39) or compact (50/34). The numbers are teeth on the ring. A compact will give you an easier option on hills, but lose out a little at the higher end, but for most riders there is enough up there on a compact.

Paul.
    Giant Defy 2
  • freezing77
    cattytown wrote:
    Double/triple is the number of chainrings at the front. Within doubles you have traditional (53/39) or compact (50/34). The numbers are teeth on the ring. A compact will give you an easier option on hills, but lose out a little at the higher end, but for most riders there is enough up there on a compact.

Paul.
    To quote

So you are saying that after Sora, and 1K gets you Tiagra or from Campy the Xenon/Veloce option.
    You can only get doubles or triples and not compacts

From there you are looking at double/triple. Current top sellers seem to be compacts.

Do you have much riding experience? Any ideas on what you want from the bike?

Paul.
  • cattytown
    No - For a compact select double, then you have casette and chainset options. Look at chainset pulldown and you have the options for compact.
    Giant Defy 2
  • dav1d1
    Thanks for all the replies realy helped alot on getting more knowledge on everything! Will see what I like when I go to ribble later this week! Will post updates! Really like this forum for the help you get
  • fsman
    fsman Posts: 112
    My advice get the GF with compact (50/34) campagnolo volece 12-25 rear. great VFM and widest range of gear options.
    Don't get a triple.
  • dav1d1
    Thanks, will be visiting Wednesday to order it, and getting fitted for the right size and also will be picking up some shoe, bib shorts and New Jersey and helment
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    The Ribble bike builder web site is the tool of the devil.... It will always tempt you to just one more upgrade.

It's good fun though - i must have spent hours fiddling with it before ordering mine.

I just had a play and trying to choose optimum value/performance I came up with the below (I was trying to make it look nice and sexy too hence the white deda stuff). If it's too much £ I'd downgrade the groupset (to Tiagra) before the wheels. I left the basic saddle as it's probably fine, and if you are new you might as well start with this them maybe upgrade if you find it doesn't fit your arse. Add pedals to suit

Frame Ribble Gran Fondo Carb Road Frame L (55cm C-Top)
    Headset Ribble Headset Branded Ribble 1 1/8" Hidden (ITS) 45 x 45
    Groupset Shimano 105 (5700) Black 10 Spd Double Groupset
    Cassette Shimano 10 Spd 105 5700 Cassette 12-27
    Chainset Shimano 105 Black Double 5700/5750 10 Spd Chainset 5750 Compact 172.5 34/50
    Wheels Mavic Aksium S White Clincher Wheels / Tyre System Pair M10 Shim 700x23
    Handlebars Deda RHM 02 Bars White 44cm
    Handlebar Stem Deda Zero 2 Stem White 100mm
    Headset Spacers Ritchey Spacer Wet White (each) 1 1/8'' 10mm
    Saddle Selle Italia X1 Man Saddle Black
    Seatpillar Deda RSX 01 Seatpillar White 31.6 350mm
    Handlebar Tape Fizik Performance Bar Tape Red
    Price excluding Pedals: £1,275.42
  • dav1d1
    So i went to ribble yesterday to get sized up and help choosing which bike and the componants and this is what they came up with

ribble 7046 sportive curved frame 52cm c top
    ribble 7046 sportive carbon road forks 1 1/8" its
    ribble headset branded ribble 1 1/8" hidden its 45x45
    shimano sora 3500 9 spd double groupset
    shimano 4600 bb cups 34/35/4500 double/triple eng
    shimano sora 9 3500 brakes black
    shimano 9 spd hg50 sora/tiagra cassete 12-25
    shimano 9 spf hg53 chain sora/tiagra 9/deore
    shimano sora double 3550 9spd chainset 170 34/50
    shimano sora 3500 9 spd double front gear braze on
    shimano 3500 9 spd ear gear short cage ss
    sdhimano sti levers sora 3500 9 spd w/cbls double
    mavic pr wts aksium s red clinche m10 shim 700x23
    itm alutech 6061 31.8 bars black 42c to c
    itm alitech 6061 31.8 stem black 100m
    trivio headser spacers alloy 1 1/8 black 10mm
    selle italia x1 saddle black\csn carbon s.e seatpiller 31.6 400mm
    no tyres needed wts
    no tubes needed tubulars
    itm cork embossed handlebar tapre red
    shimano clipless spd a530 pedals black

does that loo decent for my first road bike?
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Spec the bike on both the Bike Builder and Special Edition tabs, on the Ribble website. I've spec'd the exact same R872 on the Special Edition bike tab and it worked out quite a bit cheaper.

You are limited on the Special Edition options, but for some reason the groupsets are cheaper (when I checked a few weeks ago).
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • Bagggers
    Bagggers Posts: 348
    I have a Gran Fondo with Ultegra Gloss Gray and RS80's. Amazing setup weighing 7.31kg. I would defo advise going to the shop if you can so you can have a sit on one to get the sizing right. I cocked it up on the bike builder and changed frame size once Id been in. If you are closely managing your budget like we all do, a sensible choice may be 105 group and spend a little extra on the rims.

For the record the bike rides and climbs like a bike twice the price. You will love it.
    Cervelo S5 VWD DA Di2
    Cervelo P5 Six RED
    Cervelo R5 Record 11
    Dolan Preffisio Winter Trainer
    Scott Plasma Ltd SRAM Red
    Scott Foil Premium Di2
    S-Works Venge Di2
    Giant TCR Adv SL Di2
    Ribble Gran Fondo built for our 10 month winter
  • Bagggers
    Dav1d1 wrote:
    So i went to ribble yesterday to get sized up and help choosing which bike and the componants and this is what they came up with

ribble 7046 sportive curved frame 52cm c top
    ribble 7046 sportive carbon road forks 1 1/8" its
    ribble headset branded ribble 1 1/8" hidden its 45x45
    shimano sora 3500 9 spd double groupset
    shimano 4600 bb cups 34/35/4500 double/triple eng
    shimano sora 9 3500 brakes black
    shimano 9 spd hg50 sora/tiagra cassete 12-25
    shimano 9 spf hg53 chain sora/tiagra 9/deore
    shimano sora double 3550 9spd chainset 170 34/50
    shimano sora 3500 9 spd double front gear braze on
    shimano 3500 9 spd ear gear short cage ss
    sdhimano sti levers sora 3500 9 spd w/cbls double
    mavic pr wts aksium s red clinche m10 shim 700x23
    itm alutech 6061 31.8 bars black 42c to c
    itm alitech 6061 31.8 stem black 100m
    trivio headser spacers alloy 1 1/8 black 10mm
    selle italia x1 saddle black\csn carbon s.e seatpiller 31.6 400mm
    no tyres needed wts
    no tubes needed tubulars
    itm cork embossed handlebar tapre red
    shimano clipless spd a530 pedals black

does that loo decent for my first road bike?

Dont make the same mistake I did. My firs bike was underspecced in hindsight and I very quickly changed it at considerable cost. I would maybe look at 105 as a minimum if you can stretch to it.
    Cervelo S5 VWD DA Di2
    Cervelo P5 Six RED
    Cervelo R5 Record 11
    Scott Foil Premium Di2
    S-Works Venge Di2
    Giant TCR Adv SL Di2
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I would 2nd that.
    The thread started off with some of the most sensible advice I have seen on this site.
    I was beginning to think it was just me that feels proper bikes should start at 105 in Shimano or equivalents.

Why does the spec say 'no tubes needed tubulars'?

Mrs is getting her first road bike and am thinking Ribble might be a great option.
  • dav1d1
    Thanks for the info I will update it to shimano 105 what group set should I go for, and it says no tublars as they come with the wheels
  • Bagggers
    Carbonator wrote:
    I would 2nd that.
    The thread started off with some of the most sensible advice I have seen on this site.
    I was beginning to think it was just me that feels proper bikes should start at 105 in Shimano or equivalents.

Why does the spec say 'no tubes needed tubulars'?

Mrs is getting her first road bike and am thinking Ribble might be a great option.

I think in terms of value, thats a cracking way to go. Personally I dont think any of the big manufacturers come close on a like for like and quality. Plus the bike builder gives you that more personal feeling and on picking mine up I knew that I had specced it exactly how I wanted it.

Just one point on the bike builder. The back end that controls it is a bit quirky and you may for example find it forces you to switch groups on certain rims etc but actually, by re-selecting the original group solves it (Unless of course you are trying to put shimano on campag wheels etc). Just follow up with a phone call and yu will be fine.
    Cervelo S5 VWD DA Di2
    Cervelo P5 Six RED
    Cervelo R5 Record 11
    Scott Foil Premium Di2
    S-Works Venge Di2
    Giant TCR Adv SL Di2
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    I have the Sportive 7046 curved frame and forks, and my mate has the Gran Fondo.
    Aside from the fact that the Fondo is carbon, I would say there isn't a lot in them, and I would happily have either.
    I also have 105 group set and RS80 wheels (Cheap RS20's for running through the winter months) and to be honest it is a great bike.
    I bought it in parts and built it myself for the experience, but I have heard there CAN be long lead times for built up bikes. I have no idea if this is true, and I have never had any problems with Ribble personally :wink:
  • Bagggers
    Agreed, the Sportive 7046 is a great bike. God knows how they can do it for the money. Im the same and didnt have any trouble dealing direct with Ribble. They do get a bad rep on here but I think they have pretty much sorted their bad rep out now. Lead time on my bike was 15 working days so effectively 3 weeks. Well worth the wait.
    Cervelo S5 VWD DA Di2
    Cervelo P5 Six RED
    Cervelo R5 Record 11
    Scott Foil Premium Di2
    S-Works Venge Di2
    Giant TCR Adv SL Di2
  • Anonymous
    I fancy the look of the 'New Sportive Racing' bike for the mrs. Whats the main difference between this and the Gran Fondo?

She might like the Sportive Bianco. Again, what are the main differences in the frames?

What bottom brackets do Ribble use?

Cheers guys, I like the option to pick the spec :)
  • dav1d1
    So with the bike ordered, I have been looking at the accessories I will need, already got the clothing, so am talking like seat bag and what tools and tubes, already been watching few YouTube videos on how to change tyres, so this is what I have in mind

Two bottle holders
    Inner tubes
    Puncture kit
    Mini pump/co2
    Little first aid kit
    Tools?
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    Recommendations above seem pretty good, although I wouldn't bother with a carbon cage. I have a couple of these Elite-style cages: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cycling-Bicyc ... 2a2b729c3c
    Although they don't hold the bottle as tight as the genuine Elite cages, they still do the job perfectly well.

What tools do you already have, if any? I have something similar to this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bike-Hand-Bik ... 4abcf7823f and it has almost everything you are likely to need. I recently assembled a bike from scratch using this tool kit and a decent quality cable cutter (which is one of the few items really worth paying a little extra for). It's also got a multi-tool and puncture repair kit in there. Just make sure it matches your groupset (they do Shimano and Campag variants with slightly different tools) and you can't go wrong.

A track pump is also a very worthwhile investment. Around £25 will get you somethng decent - topeak Joe Blow seems to get good reviews; I have a Blackburn AirTower 2 and can recommend that.
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    As it is sort of relevant to the thread, this is the bike I built: viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=12914183 8)
  • dav1d1
    Thanks for the reply, gave me something to look and think about :)
  • dav1d1
    does this look better?
    Frame
    Ribble 7046 Sportive Curved Frame 52cm (C-Top)
    Headset
    Ribble Headset Branded Ribble 1 1/8" Hidden (ITS) 45 x 45
    Groupset
    Shimano 105 (5700) Black 10 Spd Double Groupset
    Hide Groupset Data
    Cassette
    Shimano 10 Spd 105 5700 Cassette 12-27
    Chainset
    Shimano 105 Black Double 5700/5750 10 Spd Chainset 5750 Compact 172.5 34/50
    Wheels
    Mavic Aksium S Red Clincher Wheels / Tyre System Pair M10 Shim 700x23
    Handlebars
    ITM Alutech 6061 (31.8) Bars Black 42cm
    Handlebar Stem
    ITM Alutech 6061 (31.8) Stem Black 100mm
    Headset Spacers
    Trivio Headset Spacers Alloy 1 1/8" Black 10mm
    Saddle
    Selle Italia X1 Man Saddle Black
    Seatpillar
    CSN Carbon S.E. Seatpillar 31.6 400mm
    Tyres
    No Tyres needed (WTS)
    Inner Tubes
    No Tubes needed (Tubulars)
    Handlebar Tape
    Fizik Superlight Glossy Bar Tape Red
    Price excluding Pedals: £1,072.22
  • Anonymous
    I am just looking into a Ribble for the mrs.
    Have you thought of upping the stem, bars and seat post to Deda?
    Is yours the special edition version of your bike?
  • dav1d1
    Carbonator wrote:
    I am just looking into a Ribble for the mrs.
    Have you thought of upping the stem, bars and seat post to Deda?
    Is yours the special edition version of your bike?

Hello, well am new to cycling so I have been in to the shop to get bike fitted and the guy went through what would be good for my first bike. Than got help from the thread to upgrade to shimano 105, never though of upgrading them only upgraded the seat post to carbon firbre no this was on the bike builder