Sun tan cream when cycling

supermurph09
supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
edited May 2013 in Road buying advice
I am now sporting a pro style cycling tan after 93 miles in the saddle yesterday, I wondered if others used any sport specific cream when out on the bike? I guess with the amount of sweating etc the standard stuff might not be upto the job?

Appreciate any recommendations or tips for avoiding the lobster look and Red arms, white hands!

Comments

• Davdandy
    Davdandy Posts: 571
    For the very little time we get sun i don't bother.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • I use standard waterproof stuff from Superdrug. It doesn't come off or go patchy under sweat, which is nice.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Davdandy wrote:

Absolutely. Soak it up dude!
  • Davdandy wrote:

Absolutely. Soak it up dude!

Spending several hours exposed to the sun when we're simply not used to it is why you should always wear the lotion when we do get sun!
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    The Piz Buin One Day Long stuff works well for me. I have ginger tendencies so burn easily but have found that even the low (for me) spf of 30 keeps me safe for a day in the saddle. Quite impressive since I do sweat a lot and would normally need to reapply normal sun cream throughout the day. I think Boots were doing a 2-4-1 deal on it too.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    If you feel you need it - Riemann P20.

Worked for me and a ginger fellow cyclist in Mallorca so should work here. :P
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    Neutrogena dry touch - best sun lotion ever
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    The Piz Buin One Day Long stuff works well for me. I have ginger tendencies so burn easily but have found that even the low (for me) spf of 30 keeps me safe for a day in the saddle. Quite impressive since I do sweat a lot and would normally need to reapply normal sun cream throughout the day. I think Boots were doing a 2-4-1 deal on it too.
    +1. cant believe anybody would advocate not wearing sun protection. Friend of mine has just had skin cancer luckily they caught it in time. He's only 34.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    +1. cant believe anybody would advocate not wearing sun protection.

You obviously do not read many posts on here then :-)

Not using sun cream is the least bad piece of advice when measured against wheel choices :mrgreen:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • pipipi
    pipipi Posts: 332
    I also wear a Buff which protects my bald head and the back of my neck.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    daviesee wrote:
    If you feel you need it - Riemann P20.

Worked for me and a ginger fellow cyclist in Mallorca so should work here. :P

+1

I used to use this when I rode a lot in the alps (mountain bikes, before I got into road bikes :wink:) and this stuff is great and really is once a day :)
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    Wear sun screen.

Take lightweight arm warmers with you and cover up after an hour.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • supermurph09
    Cheers for the suggestions, I'll certainly be going with cream next time, will check out the brands mentioned.
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Baby oil.
    Works great for me, but i go brown very easily.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura
  • john_wr
    john_wr Posts: 50
    Another for Rieman P20, either the spray or the liquid. Works brilliantly, even if you have very fair skin.

John.
  • deswahriff
    deswahriff Posts: 310
    Bobbinogs wrote:

done 5 hours on the bike today (San Fairy Ann Sportif in wall to wall sunshine..) with the Piz Buin all day factor 15...barely a tan line showing for this fair, freckled celt...I swear by this stuff...used it in Spain, dpes exactly what it says and doesn't dry your skin like some of those (alchohol?) based ones.....got s new batch from Superdrug half price..
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,823
    Another +1 for the Piz Buin All Day 30.

Works great for me and I've just bought some at half price for my cycling tip to Spain in 5 weeks. And I'm ginger so if it's good enough for me then it's good enough for anyone! Plus the bottle isn't massive either so can easily fit in your back pocket/saddle bag if you want to re-apply it during the ride.

P.S got mine from Asda for £5.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • cattytown
    cattytown Posts: 647
    P20 is good, but can stain light coloured clothing. Ultrasun is very similar, less staining but I find it irritates my eyes.
    Giant Defy 2
    Large bloke getting smaller :-)
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    +1 for P20, it works a treat. As long as you give it time to soak in properly you shouldn't have any issues with it staining clothes.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • blablablacksheep
    blablablacksheep Posts: 1,377
    P20 +1 working by a pool for 6 hours I know which creams work now Lol.
    Unlike other creams you must let it soak in. But it's very good, you won't burn if you use it properly.

One issue I have with p20 is its not great for the face, gets too greasy.
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Hawian tropic for me but i love the smell but as its an oil when you leave the house early in summer after the first 15 miles your arms and legs look like you have slept under a pepper mill as all the little morning flys stick to you. Well they do here in mallorca anyway.
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    It's a must for fair skin riders, and use a factor 30 or 50. Asda own brand of suncream works well, it came out very well in some camparative test with leading brands cple years ago. I'd imagine Sainsburys and Tesco also do similar.
  • supermurph09
    I've bought the Piz Buin stuff, typically summer appears to have ended today!
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Aloe Pura spf 25 for me. Works really well and seems to last all day.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Boots SPF 50 for me, except that I forgot to put any on on Monday and did 100 miles...now I'm feeling it.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,823
    I've bought the Piz Buin stuff, typically summer appears to have ended today!

Blame you for the rain then :lol:
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Another one for Riemann P20. It's alcohol based so it smells like your smearing vodka all over yourself - but you just need to put it on in the morning and forget about reapplying.
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    I'm currently using this http://www.bananaboat.com/products/14971.aspx?cat=1&curBrowseBy=Usage they also do it in a 50 and 100 SPF
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'