Going to the pub on your own.

ben@31
ben@31 Posts: 2,327
edited May 2013 in The cake stop
I'm bored and nobody I know does anything anymore. Except watch television zzz

What do you think to going to the pub on your own? Is it for cool a French traveller touring around in his van or is it for weirdo old men ?

Why is it you never see women in the pub on their own?
"The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Depends on the pub as to whether you will see women on their own.

In some you will. In some they will be cheap women and in others they will be expensive. :wink:

As to the original question, if it is your local, why not?

If you are travelling, what is the option? Do an Alan Partridge?

A stranger is only someone you haven't met yet. :wink:

Unless they are strange. :twisted:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    do it.

it is the only way to meet new people.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Cleats Pub Tip #1 Secrete Bosch cordless drill down front of pants. Go to bog that backs onto ladies toilets - drill hole - and you get to see loads of women on their own. :mrgreen:

And if you live in sex starved Crewe you can even charge and make a few bob for a couple of pints. :mrgreen:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • awallace
    awallace Posts: 191
    I think its fine if you choose the right pub. I have sat in a pub with good beer, a book and spent a few hours, however I wouldn't sit with those young'uns raving away whilst on my own - I may look like a perv!
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    I did this once back in Austria, and while it was a good time I didn't meet anyone I would want to drink regularly with. You win some, you lose some. I'd say give it a go and see what happens!
  • solosuperia
    solosuperia Posts: 333
    I tend to wander down the local pub by myself..........
    Lived in a couple of different towns, but 10 years ago moved to a rural village. First time I popped into the local after moving in, "Oh you moved in the other day didn't you? Have the first pint on us.......".
    It tends to be more like a club than a pub, there is always someone you know in there, saying that anybody who walks in gets included in the conversations around the bar.
    A friend who moved from London to a village found that encountering the locals being so familiar unnerving!!!!
    And didn't go in the pub again.
    Mind you living in a small rural village, you only have to fart and everybody knows about it..........
    which is mainly good.
  • Rigged
    Rigged Posts: 214
    Local pub...what's one of those?
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    ben@31 wrote:
    Why is it you never see women in the pub on their own?

You always seem to find them sitting in expensive hotel bars for some reason. You could try looking there.

Take your wallet with you though!!!! :wink:
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,436
    i travel a lot on business, going solo to cafes/bars/pubs/restaurants is inevitable, smaller ones tend to be more friendly

take a newspaper or magazine, if there's no one to chat with you don't have to sit there looking like you've just been stood up

could be that i'm just a grumpy git, but after some days, a solitary drink/meal reading the herald trib is a pleasure!
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Just go to the pub and take it from there, assuming you're not a total social outcast you'll be alright.

Having said that, the fact you're a cyclist and posted on a web site to ascertain whether "going to the pub" is a valid way of spending your time makes me consider selling mi bikes and growing leg hair again. :wink::lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    Rigged wrote:
    Local pub...what's one of those?

Something successive governments seem determined to kill off!

I go to the pub solo occassionally, as already said it depends on the pub. I plan to take a book to my local tomorrow afternoon in fact, forecast seems very amiable for a couple of beers outside in the garden.
  • smoggysteve
    I have lived away from the UK for 13 years. There are not many things I can say I miss about the place except for a decent Indian restaurant and a good old British pub. One where I can buy a pint, sit down and read a paper or just chill out in the beer garden. Believe me, there is nothing else in the world that compares to them. Try doing the same thing on the continent and there is always a waitress hovering, ready to pester you. Its a sad thing to see them dying out as fast as they are.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Hear, hear Smoggy.

Here's to the Great British Pub. And no, I'm not Al Murray or Nigel Farage. The really great thing about the pub is you can sit down and savour a pint over the crossword or natter with the locals - it's up to you. Visit them while you can, they are a dying breed.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Is it weird to go to the cinema on your own?
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • daviesee
    Apart from chatting about the film afterwards, I see no good reason for going with someone.
    If it is a good film, I don't want to be chatting and since I got my own place to live I have had no real reason to use the back row. :wink:
    I know this opinion is not normal. :mrgreen:
  • Frank the tank
    Hear, hear Smoggy.

Here's to the Great British Pub. And no, I'm not Al Murray or Nigel Farage. The really great thing about the pub is you can sit down and savour a pint over the crossword or natter with the locals - it's up to you. Visit them while you can, they are a dying breed.
    Frequent your local, you'll miss it when it's gone.

As for going to the pub on your own..........................It's cheaper than taking the missus with you.

I was once in a club and it had a room in which according to the notice above the door said NO WOMEN ALLOWED IN THIS BAR.

I said to Mrs Tank if it were £4 a pint in there it'd be cheaper than the local.
    How's that then? she asked.
    Well I wouldn't have to buy your drink would I.
    Tail end Charlie

• smoggysteve

I was once in a club and it had a room in which according to the notice above the door said NO WOMEN ALLOWED IN THIS BAR.

Was this bar called the Blue Oyster by any chance??
  • Frank the tank

Was this bar called the Blue Oyster by any chance??
    Errrrrrrrrr No.
    Tail end Charlie

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    One of the best things about London is that there are still lots of proper British pubs kicking about. It takes some beating: my own company, a copy of Rouleur and a jug of real ale.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Frank the tank
    Ben6899 wrote:
    One of the best things about London is that there are still lots of proper British pubs kicking about. It takes some beating: my own company, a copy of Rouleur and a jug of real ale.
    A friend of mine who works as a plasterer was working on a contract at blue water and went for a drink at a pub in Grays.

He and his two colleagues stood out like a sore thumb with their accents. They had only took the head off their ale when one of the locals walked over and gave it.

"Drink your f@ckin ale and F@ck orf you c@nts".

My mate can look after himself if need be but on this occassion thought discretion be the better part of valour.
    Tail end Charlie

• MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    Ben6899 wrote:
    A friend of mine who works as a plasterer was working on a contract at blue water and went for a drink at a pub in Grays.

He and his two colleagues stood out like a sore thumb with their accents. They had only took the head off their ale when one of the locals walked over and gave it.

My mate can look after himself if need be but on this occassion thought discretion be the better part of valour.

Whoah, that is pretty insane! Luckily, even being an American, I have never really had problems anywhere, even in some rather shady areas.
  • Frank the tank
    Ben6899 wrote:

Whoah, that is pretty insane! Luckily, even being an American, I have never really had problems anywhere, even in some rather shady areas.
    Tend to agree fella, but my mate had no cause to make up such a story. He just might have been in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    Tail end Charlie

• Graham K
    Graham K Posts: 329
    I regular go the pub on my own, a nice quiet pint or 6, depenadant on the pub as to whether I take a book/paper/notepad with me, sometimes its the local where there is always somebody there to talk to, other times its a pub I dont know hardly anyone so get some quiet time.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Ben6899 wrote:

Wow, that's really something!

Although Grays isn't London.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • wiffachip
    wiffachip Posts: 861
    I'm in the local on me own now, powder monkey wallsend.

All depends on the time. Mid week and dinner times is fine. Weekends a no no

Worst bit is when some fecker wants to talk to you. Bog off, I've come out for some peace
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Worst pub I've been in was in the mid 80s in Edinburgh. Think it was called The Pennywell on Pennywell Rd. What a shithole! Didn't even order a drink. Place went hushed when I walked in, so just turned around and walked out again.
  • u can go in for lunch on your own in the working week i think nothjing wrong with that. also if its a nice midsomer murderish country pub where u get loads of old codgers going in on their own thats fine. in m dotage i hope to do such a thing, have a place at the bar, welcome the hunt back in etc etc.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

Wow, that's really something!

Although Grays isn't London.
    No, Grays is in Essex. You don't want to go to a pub in grays quite honestly, I'm not really surprised at this reaction, I wouldn't go in any pub in Grays.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    My local is pretty friendly. I often pop in for a quick drink with the colourful regulars. The owner of the bar, Tam Malone, is a retired football player; Dr. Brasier - the "resident psychiatrist" who frequents the bar and could often use a little analysis himself; Norman - a semi-professional beer drinker and Clifford - a thirtysomething mailman who still lives with his mother. To get away from their "hum-drum" lives, they all come to the bar where "Everybody Knows who you are".
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • daviesee
    seanoconn wrote:
    My local is pretty friendly. I often pop in for a quick drink with the colourful regulars. The owner of the bar, Tam Malone, is a retired football player; Dr. Brasier - the "resident psychiatrist" who frequents the bar and could often use a little analysis himself; Norman - a semi-professional beer drinker and Clifford - a thirtysomething mailman who still lives with his mother. To get away from their "hum-drum" lives, they all come to the bar where "Everybody Knows who you are".
    It's a long walk from your local to home.
    Boston to South London! :wink: