Is the Giro being shown on terrestrial television?

crispybug2
crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
edited May 2013 in The cake stop
Not being in possession of either Sky Sports or Eurosport just wondering if the Giro is on TV. I've checked ITV schedules and it's not being shown so is it available to us mere humble fans?

Comments

• Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Sadly not - ned boulting tweeted as much the other day - check out steephill for some feeds.

RAI have it live on the web too.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    there's http://www.eurosportplayer.co.uk/

not sure if/how there's giro coverage, i'm not on uk at the moment so it won't let me connect to check
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    crispybug2 wrote:
    Not being in possession of either Sky Sports or Eurosport just wondering if the Giro is on TV. I've checked ITV schedules and it's not being shown so is it available to us mere humble fans?

No Sky Sports or Eurosport? Are you in prison and had your satellite channels switched off? :D
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    not everyone chooses to subscribe to the murdoch empire
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    not everyone chooses to subscribe to the murdoch empire
    Subscribe to Eurosport player for a month, it's a fiver.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • If you rummage around on the internet, you'll be able to find live feeds of the race from a variety of channels. The picture quality is poor though.

I use Eurosport Player on the iPad, mainly cos I can never evict the missus and/or kids from the TV when the cycling's on. £2.99 a month, and it's pretty good. Also available on Android and Windows (with Silverlight) Cancel when the season finishes.

Yes, it's a subscription to the Murdoch Empire, but if you want to watch, you gotta pay
  • fast as fupp
    thats what i do- eurosport palyer on the ipad fed to the telly via apple tv- works well (usually)

eurosport arent owned by $ky -theyre owned by TF1 and Discovery Communications.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    Is cycling likely to go the same way as some other sports, Sky obtaining sole UK rights? Just has that kind of sad inevitable feeling about it once someone at Sky HQ notices more affluent middle class males are watching a bike race on a summer sunday afternoon than the cricket or motor racing they already show.
  • fast as fupp
    if that happens it will be viewed solely on the intersnide!
  • Rigged
    Rigged Posts: 214
    Is cycling likely to go the same way as some other sports, Sky obtaining sole UK rights? Just has that kind of sad inevitable feeling about it once someone at Sky HQ notices more affluent middle class males are watching a bike race on a summer sunday afternoon than the cricket or motor racing they already show.

That's something I fear, particularly considering they just covered the Tour de Romandie.
  • lucan2
    lucan2 Posts: 293
    thats what i do- eurosport player on the ipad fed to the telly via apple tv- works well (usually)

ooh, how does that work? I've got the i-pad and a eurosport subscription but I'd like to link it to a bigger screen if possible. How do I connect it to the TV? Or is 'Apple TV' hardware rather than software?
  • fast as fupp
    http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/s ... s/apple_tv

plugs into your telly with a hdmi lead
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    FatTed wrote:
    Free for the iPhone and I have an HDMI adapter to connect to the TV so why not? :P

Although I already have Eurosport Player, it will add another scheduling (at my convenience) option.

Thanks.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,372
    daviesee wrote:
    FatTed wrote:
    Free for the iPhone and I have an HDMI adapter to connect to the TV so why not? :P

Although I already have Eurosport Player, it will add another scheduling (at my convenience) option.

Thanks.

So, numpty question here,

If I have an iPhone, download a free app and buy a wire that connects iPhone to TV, I can watch the Giro live?

If so, what lead do I need?
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    No idea i am too dumb for a smart phone let alone apple tv
  • daviesee
    laurentian wrote:
    So, numpty question here,

If I have an iPhone, download a free app and buy a wire that connects iPhone to TV, I can watch the Giro live?

If so, what lead do I need?
    This one - http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MD098 ... av-adapter
    Not cheap but I tried a cheaper Ebay version that made the colours all wrong and now I can use my phone on a big screen almost everywhere for everything while traveling. An Apple TV will be more expensive again but more convenient in operation. *Other alternatives are available but I use Macs so their hardware makes my life simple. Personal choice, no point flaming.

I doubt the App will show the race live, but maybe. It looks like you will get highlights after the fact.
    I will be working or simply out and about during the races anyway. :(
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,372
    Thanks!
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    I use Virgin Anywhere can stream Sky Sports or Eurosport to nominated devices (laptop, iPad, tablet, mobile etc). Sky have the same thing I think.
  • daviesee
    I think the point of this thread is for those who don't have Sky or Virgin, or similar on TV.
  • forward_loop
    forward_loop Posts: 314
    daviesee wrote:
    laurentian wrote:

I doubt the App will show the race live, but maybe. It looks like you will get highlights after the fact.
    I will be working or simply out and about during the races anyway. :(

Its one of the best race aps out there. Last year it did show the race live iirc
  • Do you get highlights/repeats on the Eurosport player?
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    It's effectively having Eurosport, it shows ES1 and 2 live...
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Graculus
    Graculus Posts: 107
    Can you watch ESplayer through a Playstation 3?

(sorry if that's a dumb question, but my son is away :oops: )
  • Rigged
    Rigged Posts: 214
    Graculus wrote:
    Can you watch ESplayer through a Playstation 3?

(sorry if that's a dumb question, but my son is away :oops: )

No, I'm afraid you can't.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Free to air on German Eurosport. Yet another example of the UK ripping you off.