Triban 3 or 5a? Opinions needed.

Oliver T
Oliver T Posts: 22
edited May 2013 in Road buying advice
Hey everyone,

So I've come up with a bit of a niggle in the route to buying a new road bike.

Basically, I've managed to narrow myself down to two bikes - the Triban 3 (The classic red one), and the Triban 5a (The black one).

My budget is preferably at the lower end, but I can stretch to get the 5a at £430.

So, what's your opinion?

Thanks everyone.

Comments

• VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Get the 3.
    Badass bike and worth twice the price.
    Living MY dream.
  • c-mac
    c-mac Posts: 30
    The 3 was my first road bike. Very happy with it. Previously rode a 15 year old Giant mountain bike so anything would have been an improvement! Not familiar with the 5a so not sure what the jump up in components is.
  • Oliver T
    The 5 is http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-5-roa ... 39801.html

It looks nice but I'm not really sure how it warrants such an increase in price.
  • Blandiblub
    Blandiblub Posts: 134
    Ah, almost the very same question I had! Cheers!

Yes, been looking at a first road bike (currently have a Sirrus) but not sure whether to really go for it (Canyon Roadlite) relatively speaking or start with a more budget model. I know the 3 is really rated but can't help thinking the 5 is a better starting point. Was previously looking at the 7 (Tiagra, double compact, more carbon!). The new 5 has 2013 Sora doesn't it, as opposed to the microshifts on the 3?

I thought the 3 was cutting costs by going back to a metal fork - site still says it's carbon. Hmm.

The only other Q I had - not wishing to hijack - was about the double/triple selection. No idea what's on the 3 but the 5 is a triple and the 7 a double compact. Not sure what's better - I do have a big(ish) hill near home (SE London) but then it's pretty flat. I do currently need the granny gear on the Sirrus but maybe a higher gear will motivate me to get fitter quicker?!!
    Specialized Allez Elite 2011 *NEW*
    Specialized Sirrus Elite 2011
  • Oliver T
    I'm not sure about the gear question, but I know that you're thinking of the 3a when you say no Carbon fork. That's the cheaper white model, not to be confused with the 2012 t5 which is also white :D
  • Blandiblub
    Popped into Decathlon in Lakeside yesterday - tried the 3 in a size 54 (indicated by their sizing on their website). Seemed about right for me (5'7", short legs!). Guy in there was very helpful - gave me loads of info about new models, what's being replaced, comparisons with groupsets, etc.

I'm still none the wiser in terms of triple v double but the 3 and 5 have triples and the 7 a double (Tiagra) so I guess it'll come down to what I want to spend. At £429, the 5 seems a great bike (new one with the full 2013 Sora) but I'm not sure I can justify an extra £170 for Tiagra. The shop guy said he thinks it IS worth it (he would wouldn't he!), but I can't help think that if you add on some Mavic wheels, you're approaching Canyon Roadlite pricing and that has 105.

I might be over thinking this though (probably am) - should just get a 5 and get on with it.
  • I am also looking to getting my first full road bike, i think i will go for the triban 3, cant justify the extra money for IMO not much gain. (although the 5 certainly looks better - not keen on the triban 3 red, but its only a colour!)

Is it just me or does the decathlon website not function correctly today? I have been keeping an eye on the stock of the Triban 3 at my local store (Lakeside) as they have been out of stock for a while (well in a 57 anyway..) it seems now you cant view the stock at a particular store??? or am i missing something and just stupid...?

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-3-red ... 74036.html
  • AllanES
    AllanES Posts: 151
    Blandiblub wrote:
    Popped into Decathlon in Lakeside yesterday - tried the 3 in a size 54 (indicated by their sizing on their website). Seemed about right for me (5'7", short legs!). Guy in there was very helpful - gave me loads of info about new models, what's being replaced, comparisons with groupsets, etc.

I'm still none the wiser in terms of triple v double but the 3 and 5 have triples and the 7 a double (Tiagra) so I guess it'll come down to what I want to spend. At £429, the 5 seems a great bike (new one with the full 2013 Sora) but I'm not sure I can justify an extra £170 for Tiagra. The shop guy said he thinks it IS worth it (he would wouldn't he!), but I can't help think that if you add on some Mavic wheels, you're approaching Canyon Roadlite pricing and that has 105.

I might be over thinking this though (probably am) - should just get a 5 and get on with it.

I got a Triban 3 last summer from Lakeside. I can't fault it. I've just had it serviced by a local guy to me and it's like as good as new again.
    I must say, as a road cycling beginner i've been grateful for the "granny-ring" on the triple a few times.
    For the price, my impression is it's difficuly to beat as an entry, try-it-and-see-if-you-like-cycling bike. It's done the trick for me!
    And now I'm looking to upgrade to something else around the popular £1000 mark and I'm finding myself, like you, over thinking it all. And doing far too much research. I just need to take the plunge and get the bike!
    Having said that, i'll definitely be holding onto my 3 as a very able back-up.
    Red Triban 3
    Giant Defy 1
  • AllanES
    AllanES Posts: 151
    I am also looking to getting my first full road bike, i think i will go for the triban 3, cant justify the extra money for IMO not much gain. (although the 5 certainly looks better - not keen on the triban 3 red, but its only a colour!)

Is it just me or does the decathlon website not function correctly today? I have been keeping an eye on the stock of the Triban 3 at my local store (Lakeside) as they have been out of stock for a while (well in a 57 anyway..) it seems now you cant view the stock at a particular store??? or am i missing something and just stupid...?

I got my Triban 3 last summer as my first road bike (great bike for the money IMO) - from Lakeside and yep, finding stock of the size i was after (60) was difficult. I actually phoned and then got them to reserve a 60 when one came into stock. I didn't rely on the website stock list.
    Red Triban 3
    Giant Defy 1
  • I am also looking to getting my first full road bike, i think i will go for the triban 3, cant justify the extra money for IMO not much gain. (although the 5 certainly looks better - not keen on the triban 3 red, but its only a colour!)

The Online stock checker now seems to be working :shock: It seems they now might have my size instock, as mentioned above will call to double check and reserve.
  • Blandiblub
    FWIW, I was in there yesterday and it seemed though they only had 54 in stock and ready to try out, which was handy as that's my size! They MAY have had a 57 but can't say for sure.

Really helpful in there though so would presume they'd be equally helpful with a phone call to check the stock.

Mind you, my next nearest is Surrey Quays on my side of the Thames so if I do get one, I'd probably get it there so I can ride it home!