General rule of thumb?

JohnBurt
JohnBurt Posts: 94
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
As it says - if I go up with handlebar width should I be thinking about shortening stem also. I'm kind of Orang-utan shaped and am more comfortable with a wider bar (780mm) or so but its not perfect and \I feel a little stretched.

Cheers

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Change it then.
  • JohnBurt
    Yeah change it I will but that wasn't the question. I was just wondering how evertybody else got on?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Not everybody is Orang Utan shaped - but as you are more stretched a shorter stem will obviously make you less stretched.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    JohnBurt wrote:
    As it says - if I go up with handlebar width should I be thinking about shortening stem also. I'm kind of Orang-utan shaped and am more comfortable with a wider bar (780mm) or so but its not perfect and \I feel a little stretched.

Cheers
    do you feel like you are in the correct position now?

when going wider on the bars the reason to go shorter on the stem is to bring you back to about the same position..
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • JohnBurt
    No I feel extended - reckon I'll try a shorter stem.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    cheaper to slide all the controls inboaed first and see.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown