4th Cat and then 3rd/4th Cat

saprkzz
saprkzz Posts: 592
edited May 2013 in Amateur race
The races I am doing at the moment are 4th cat only, but in 2 weeks time it changes to 3rd/4th Cat. I had planned to do the whole summer series with them.

So what will the difference be between the two races?.. Is the race going to feel different now the "experienced" riders will be playing? Basically what I am asking, is there any point me turning up? lol
:lol::lol:
I am thinking it could be good for training purposes to improve fitness.

Comments

• Much the same. Maybe ever so slightly faster.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    You should be fine & probably right that if you can get into the right group & stay with them will be a good racing & training session.

Yes turn up as if you can hold your own in a 4th only being with some 3's should not cause you any issues. Who knows on your day you might if you get going and on the right wheel be going faster than you would in a 4th only and place better if 'weaker' 4th cats are getting out into a slower group.

You might get lapped by a faster group but its all a learning experience - so yes to answer your question there is a point in you turning up.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Doubt you'll notice. Maybe there will be a breakaway that'll actually stick, but that's about it. Got to remember 3rd is only 10 pts away from 4th, so it doesn't necessarily mean that they'll be far superior.
  • herzog
    herzog Posts: 197
    Also, remeber there are some good 4th Cats around (ie., those just starting, but have been training/riding for a while, coming back to the sport etc.).

You'll probably not notice the difference - perhaps less shouting and bad corninering.
  • saprkzz
    Great advice from all, thanks.. will give it ago.. They are also adding in "the hill" on the full circuit so should be fun!

Racing tonight in this beautiful weather! looking forward to it already, you never know I may even be a 3rd by the time it happens... hmm but then maybe not :roll: :lol:
  • Zoomer37
    Zoomer37 Posts: 725
    Shouldn't be that much of a difference at all unless there are some former 2nd cats etc getting back into racing this year and are back in as 3rds. If that's the case you'll probably not be racing in the same race anyway. if that makes sense :twisted:
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Agree with what Zoomer said. I've found early season 3/4 races to be a lot harder than later in the year. I put this down to those yo-yo riders (going between 2nd to 3rd and back) getting the points to get their 2nd cat licence, once they're out the way the ability level is closer.
  • saprkzz
    Well, all the above is irrelevant, after two races I am up.. came 11th of 64 in the first race and then last week took an impressive win at a different circuit to get the 10 points, so cant worry about racing against 3rd's now lol :roll: :roll:
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    saprkzz wrote:
    Well, all the above is irrelevant, after two races I am up.. came 11th of 64 in the first race and then last week took an impressive win at a different circuit to get the 10 points, so cant worry about racing against 3rd's now lol :roll: :roll:

You'll be fine against them, be more worried about that wind/rain you had last week coming back this week if your racing
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.