new wheels, really needed?

blablablacksheep
blablablacksheep Posts: 1,377
edited May 2013 in Road buying advice
Currently have a canyon SLX 8, with elites(apart from rear currently being sent back).
I've done 2 TT races and loving them (love that burning pain, is that wrong lol)
Times were 1;06 for 22.5 mile (hilly), and 31;38 for 12ish miles.

I'm thinking about some deep section wheels as this certainly seems to be the norm.

Question though, would I see any real world difference compared to what are already good mavic elites?
And if so how much am I looking to have to spend to see such differences (zipp 202s,£1500+?)
Cheers
London2Brighton Challange 100k!
http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    The real question is:

If I spend 1500 pounds and end up 1 minute faster on a 10 miler, does that make me enjoy a TT more? If you finish your 10 miler in 26 minutes instead of 27, does it make a 1,500 pounds difference to your life?

It depends how much a minute is worth for you, I guess... personally for the sake of an amateur TT I would not even spend 10 pounds to get an improvement.

PS: a hard training regime can give you a lot more than one minute and it is a personal achievement, it's real, rather than a gift from Zipp...

That's my view anyway... 8)
    left the forum March 2023
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    According to this article and this one too, buying some clip-on aero bars gives you much more of an advantage per £ spent than aero wheels.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    People are probably going to get fed up of me posting this but here it goes.

50mm carbon tubs = 9s improvement on a 10TT
    skin suit, pointy helmet, shoe covers = 44s improvement

First one cost £700 all in with tyres and cassette
    second one cost £170

bet you can't guess which one I'd vote for?
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    markos1963 wrote:
    People are probably going to get fed up of me posting this but here it goes.

50mm carbon tubs = 9s improvement on a 10TT
    skin suit, pointy helmet, shoe covers = 44s improvement

First one cost £700 all in with tyres and cassette
    second one cost £170

bet you can't guess which one I'd vote for?

Similar to the suit and helmet.

Improve your position and tuck in elbows and knees, take all unnecessary weight off the you/bike - Completely free.
  • I'm currently using some clip on TT bars, which are helping. Last TT result I was 2ish mins behind winner . but I think I bike fit would give me more gains than wheels .
    But question why do so many people have deep section wheels then? If their gains so small.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    I'm currently using some clip on TT bars, which are helping. Last TT result I was 2ish mins behind winner . but I think I bike fit would give me more gains than wheels .
    But question why do so many people have deep section wheels then? If their gains so small.

Aesthetics. Some change wheels for better rolling weight and get deeper rims just cos they look better. Every bit helps. No one thing is going to vastly improve your speed.
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356
    Get fitted into a proper aero position and lose 5kilos et voila, faster TT time. No need for fancy carbon wheels except they look the part on a TT bike!
  • blablablacksheep
    I'm looking to get a bike fit at le beau velo as they look good and price isn't crazy like some.
    Out of interest, someone mentioned at the TT race that deep section wheels improve momentum thus easier to keep up to speed, in turn require less effort to maintain speed once going. In turn you can push harder thus get faster.

Is this true, makes sense, although he did say they rubbish on hills as you lose all there momentum
  • Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Get fitted into a proper aero position and lose 5kilos et voila, faster TT time. No need for fancy carbon wheels except they look the part on a TT bike!

Nice typical forum sweeping statement there - making the assumption he's at least 5kg overweight and not in a proper aero position already!! :lol::lol:
  • Camcycle1974
    Camcycle1974 Posts: 1,356

Nice typical forum sweeping statement there - making the assumption he's at least 5kg overweight and not in a proper aero position already!! :lol::lol:

lol, yes I stand accused of the sweeping generalisation. Apologies if it's not true!
  • blablablacksheep
    I'm about 12 stone atm, but looking to bulk up more to increase my power output, but biggest issue I think atm is my bike setup as I feel like I'm moving around on bike too much.

I'll hold of with the wheels until I get a bike fit at the above then see how it goes from there...

Out of interest, zipp fiercest 202 wheels or a TT bike... What would be better? (Allways wondered if TT bikes that much faster, as I'm doubtful they are)
  • Brommers76
    Brommers76 Posts: 234
    Why do you need to bulk up and why do you need more power? The two aren't directly linked and more importantly it is your power output at threshold that improves TT performance not outright power.

Wiggins isn't built like a brick outhouse remember but he can TT OK.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Wheels will not make yo mch faster. I ride my TT's on 28 spoke wheels on a early 90's Trek race bike. I have scope for imporvement bt all that improvement is in my legs. I am not using any aero aids either and I do not want too. It is the race of truth after all and not a race of how much money I have for aero aids.

Aero aids will not make me enjoy the TT any more than I do at the moment. Last years TT's were done on a 1980 Alan with period components aprt from the pedals, every week was a new PB as well. I might use this bike tonight as well. Also clip on bars which would cut times kind of look worng on a road bike to me.

Fast times on a TT are all about low Cd, the biggest Cd factor on a bike is the rider, a TT bike will give proper position and redce yor Cd, also the frame will have a low Cd. The wheels to be blunt are the icing on the cake and will make some difference but not a big one. I hope to do 26 minute 10 mile TT this year on CCS Lavenham course but on my 19080 Alan without aero aids. I will do this by training and it will feel like more of an acheivment.

Still get faster by getting fitter. Interval training will do that and will make a big difference to you. Enjoy TT for what they are meant to be not for what you think they are meant to be.

Consider aero wheels make a difference that faster yo go. Really 50mm deep aero wheels make there presence felt over 25mph average. The closer you get to 30 mph avergae the bigger the difference they make. You are averaging 23mph which means you will not gain mch at all from the big spend on Zipps.

Training is what you need to do, like me.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.