Polar cs200CAD problem

bing gordon
bing gordon Posts: 662
edited May 2013 in Workshop
I've had my trusty cs200CAD a few years now but recently the speed sensor just stopped. I bought a new battery and managed to sprise it open and replace the battery but it still didn't work. So thinking it must be the speed sensor that's knackered I bought a brand new one and replaced it.
I tried it but for some reason this aint working either. I've tried every position possible for both sensor and magnet but it 's still playing me up. I just left it and went for a ride just using the cadence and heart monitor (which both still work fine) then suddenly the speed sensor worked for around 5 miles then stopped again.
I've read a few article's were some people have problems with the speed sensor but mines worked flawlessly for 4 years till now.
Is it time to give up and just buy a new computer to match the gear I already got ? also, would a really strong magnet help ? .I have tried a new one but its exact same as my old one.

Comments

• doug5_10
    doug5_10 Posts: 465
    I have had cs200CAD for several years, its been ok but not faultless, HRM signal has been patchy recently after a battery change. When I first got it, I had to send a faulty cadence sensor back to Polar for service/replacement. If you take the sensor and magnet in your hand and pass past each other, you should hear a little click from the sensor each time if its functional. After 4 years I don't know if you can send it away to Polar, no harm in contacting them at least.
    Edinburgh Revolution Curve
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/1920048
  • bing gordon
    I just tried it off the fork and had to brush the magnet virtually against the sensor before the computer worked. As soon as it's on the bike I cant get it close enough to the sensor to register. Do you think one of the super duper neo earth magnets might help ? I've seen some on eBay were you glue them to the fork with a dab of epoxy resin.

Has anyone had problems with magnets not been picked up ?
    Oh I can't here no click , mine's the older cs200CAD, the one with the red buttons not grey.
  • doug5_10
    doug5_10 Posts: 465
    Mine is the older version too, there should be an audible noise/buzz/click when the magnet passes the sensor if its working properly. I am unsure if those neodinium mags make a difference, although you would need to glue it to the spoke, not the fork!
    Edinburgh Revolution Curve
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/1920048
  • bing gordon
    lol yeah sorry spoke :) well I've ordered a few small n48 neo earth magnets off eBay, for the sake of £1.50 it's worth a go before I think of reinvesting in another unit. I'm thinking the neo earth magnet should simply attach to another magnet rather than glue just so i can test it. I did try listening again but I can't here a click . Saying that , my hearing has gone naff the older I've got. thanks for the help.
  • bing gordon
    I received the neo magnets but still it doesn't work. the cadence and heart rate work fine but even with a brand new sealed speed sensor it doesn't pick up the magnet.Ive moved the magnets around top middle bottom of the sensor and held the computer up to the spped sensor. I see there's a tiny hole on the back , is that a full reset type button ?. Also , is there something within the settings ?. I did pick it up for about 5 seconds then stopped.
    Is it time to reinvest or is there something else I could do ?.
  • its shagged
    time for shiny new things :D