Floor/Track pump compatibility

tezboy1234
tezboy1234 Posts: 132
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
I'm about to order a floor pump and i was looking at the ones on the Topeak website. They have about nine or so on there and they all seem very similar. I assume they must be for different types of wheels or there'd be no need for so many of them, but there's nothing to clarify wich ones are intended for mountain bikes.

On say, mini pumps for example, they have high pressure pumps wich are for road bikes and high volume pumps wich are for mountain bikes. Is this the same with floor pumps? Or will any floor pump do the trick.

Which Topeak floor pump is the best for a mtb? Or any other recommendations?

Thanks.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Any.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    tezboy1234 wrote:
    I assume they must be for different types of wheels or there'd be no need for so many of them

welcome to Consumerville...you must live in Cuba or something? Check out how many different types of milk there are next time you go to the supermarket...it's crazy man
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • tezboy1234
    Thanks.

I take it that floor pumps aren't specific to pressure/volume (road/mountain) like mini pumps are?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    tezboy1234 wrote:
    Thanks.

I take it that floor pumps aren't specific to pressure/volume (road/mountain) like mini pumps are?

mini pumps are not that bothered either.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Yacoby
    Yacoby Posts: 211
    tezboy1234 wrote:
    On say, mini pumps for example, they have high pressure pumps wich are for road bikes and high volume pumps wich are for mountain bikes. Is this the same with floor pumps? Or will any floor pump do the trick.
    You can get higher volume floor pumps, but anything works really.
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    I got the Toppeak Joe Blow Sport. It's fine for both mtb & road bike.
  • equinefunk
    equinefunk Posts: 323
    As long as they are Schraeder & Presta compatible (which they will be) they will meet the pressures of road and mtb tyres. I have the Lezyne floor drive, absolutely brilliant and built to last easy to inflate tyres quickly.
    I'm over 6' and have quite a large head.
  • tezboy1234
    Thanks for the replies.

I have noticed that Topeak do a high volume mountain specific floor pump, so i'm going to give it a try. I missed it the first time i looked.

Heres a bit about it from what i found from reviews and on youtube.

They say it's the first and only mountain specific floor pump you can buy, but maybe there's others about now, i don't know for certain. I've looked a lot on the internet the last few days and i haven't seen another one.

It can be used for roadbikes too, but the last few strokes will be difficult and you won't get an accurate pressure reading as it's only a 75-85 psi pump, so it's best to find something with 100 psi minimum, if you intend to use it on roadbikes that is. It apparently handles ust tires too, but an air compressor is still recommended for that.

I saw a guy youtube pump up a flat tire in about 3-6 pumps with it. A guy on a review said it takes him 6 pumps too.

The gauge is supposedly very accurate. It has an abs button and connectors for balls and li-lo's etc. It does prester and schrader and locks on. It has a long hose.

Hope this helps anyone looking for a mountain specific floor pump, and wanting to get a mtb tire fully inflated in as few strokes as possible. I'll let you know if it's any good when i've tried it out a few times, or if it's best to get something else.
  • felix.london
    :roll:

Trek Session 8
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Well, maybe so. But how likely do you think it is that more than a handful of people who have both road and mountain bikes have a track pump for each of them?
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • equinefunk
    I don't understand the reasoning behind a mountain bike specific track pump.
  • tezboy1234
    If someone has both mountain and road bikes, even though there are specific pumps for either, then it would make sense to get a normal one wich can work on both, at least from a financial point of view. I also could'nt see too many people buying two pumps.

But a specific pump is aimed i suppose more for people like me, who are unlikely to even consider a road bike and will probably only ever be dealing with fat mountain wheels.

As for not seeing the point in a pump like this, i think it makes sense. If your going to buy a floor plump, which you only intend to use on mountain bikes, then why not go for a high volume mountain specific one? It'll be quicker, easier and take less strokes to get your tyre fully pumped.

That at least is the case on paper. Wheather or not it actually is turns out be a noticeable improvement on other floor pumps, time will tell, it could be rubbish for all i know.
  • equinefunk
    The volume of air to be shifted is the only thing that matters. I think most pumps deliver 5psi per stroke. Depending on Tyre size.If I recall correctly there is only a small difference in air volume between a 26" MTB Tyre & a 700c Road Tyre, so you need the same amount of strokes to fill a road or fat MTB tyre. The limiting factor on that pump is that gauge only goes to 75psi. So if you ever needed more pressure say to help a fallen Roadie :-) or if you bought a Hybrid you couldn't use that pump.

I'm sure that the Pumps is great, I just think it's a bit of marketing BS.
  • felix.london
    a bit of marketing BS? I can't believe people actually get sucked into it all.

Airwave track pump from CRC, £17. It's green, it has a handle and a hose and a gauge (that goes up to 100psi) and it pumps tyres tyres up

Trek Session 8
  • equinefunk
    Marketing BS is what makes the MTB world go around
  • tezboy1234
    It very possibly is marketing bs, and i assure you i don't get sucked in to anything. That's why i post on here, so i can reduce the chances of buying rubbish based on marketing.

I never stated that what's been claimed about this pump is something i was going to take as fact, based solely on their word. All i said was on paper, the idea of this pump makes sense. However, i'm fully aware it could be a load of rubbish.

Also, sometimes a company's description is all a person has to go on, and as said above, it does help keep the industry going.

I have now read a few independent reviews of this product, and have seen it being used on youtube. So far it seems to be the real deal. Weather it's actually pumping up a MTB wheel any quicker than any other floor pump, i don't know for certain as i don't have anything to compare it with. You can see it for yourself though, go on youtube and search Topeak jo blow mountain. Or read the independent reviews wich aren't the company's own marketing bs.

It would be appreciated if anyone with a floor pump could view this thing on youtube and let us know how it compares.
  • equinefunk
    edited May 2013
    I'm not criticising your choice of pump, I just think that sometimes they bring out products to fill a niche that doesn't exist. How often do you use the floor pump? I rarely use mine.

So what's the advantage of a Higher Volume Pump? It delivers between .36 - 0.76l more of air...so what does that mean in real terms? I don't know how much air is in a Tyre, is it the difference between 6 or 10 strokes? So that 4 extra strokes is a deal breaker? I know they said that you can pop tubeless on with these pumps. But I've done it with a mini pump....

The key things are with a pump is it Schraeder & Presta compatible? Is the gauge accurate? My old Cannondale Pump gauge was 50psi out & I thought I was at 80psi and in fact I was at 130 odd psi and it blew the tyre off & covered me with Stans Sealant :-(

I personally feel that the rest is BS.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    Cross section of 2" MTB tyre is about 3 or 4 times as much area as a 1" road tyre. Road tyre approx 3 or 4 times pressure of MTB tyre... therefore same amount of air needs shifting into either.

I deduce that there is much marketing BS here.

BTW, Lezyne floor drive FTW.
  • felix.london
    equinefunk wrote:
    Marketing BS is what makes the MTB world go around

:lol:

Trek Session 8
  • felix.london
    equinefunk wrote:
    I thought I was 80psi I was at 130 odd psi and it blew the tyre off & covered me with Stans Sealant :-(

:lol::lol:

Trek Session 8
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    tezboy1234 wrote:
    I have now read a few independent reviews of this product, and have seen it being used on youtube. So far it seems to be the real deal. Weather it's actually pumping up a MTB wheel any quicker than any other floor pump, i don't know for certain as i don't have anything to compare it with. You can see it for yourself though, go on youtube and search Topeak jo blow mountain. Or read the independent reviews wich aren't the company's own marketing bs.

It would be appreciated if anyone with a floor pump could view this thing on youtube and let us know how it compares.

It looks absolutely fine to me. The Topeak floor pumps are very good. I've had other makes fail on me, so think it's worth getting a decent one.

I have the Topeak Joe Blow sport. It doesn't take log to blow up a mtb tyre, but looks like the mtb specific version is a bit quicker. A few strokes (whether it's 5 more or 15 more) make little difference to me, but if you don't need the flexibility of using it on a road bike, then what's not to like about it? Marketing bs or not, I think it will do a good job. Hope you like it.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I've had a couple of £10 pumps off ebay and they havn't lasted, I thought for once I would spend a bit more so got a Topeak Joe Blow Max II much better quality and should last a lot longer.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I have this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Airace-Infinity ... B003SWZJQM

Is very good, sturdy, accurate, great adaptor head.
  • tezboy1234
    That's a good price! That's cheaper than i paid for a mini pump, good reviews too. Thanks for the recommendations. I think i'm still going to try the mountain, but i'll get the airwave if it's no good.
  • felix.london
    I have this:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=47804

It pumps up my tyres now and again

Trek Session 8