Sods Law!

peddlingmadness
peddlingmadness Posts: 151
edited May 2013 in Road general
Sods Law means that If the bike going to fail your going to be at your furthest point in your ride as happened today. Back tire deflated so hopped off to find that the tire wall had split with about a 2 inch Rip. After staring at it for 5 minutes and realising it wasn't going to repair itself I rolled up some crisp packets I had found and using my emergency gaffa tape I have stuck to the underside of my seat I botched it all together put in a new tube and rode the 20 miles home. It didn't look pretty and I could feel the lump on every revolution but, it did the job. Many thanks to the 3 lots of cyclists who slowed down enough to ask me if I had everything I needed, (was at Rivington reservoir) Shows the cycling community are not a bad lot, thanks also to the makers of gaffa tape, and thanks to the scruffy ba$tards for dropping litter in an area of outstanding beauty (you muppets) and for as good as it was I can't see the schwalbe Ultra monster munch combo catching on.. So on that note what emergency repairs have you had to make to get you home..?

Comments

• Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Was out with a mate on MTB's he misjudged the depth of a Peat Hag and broke his saddle rail, the seat post very nearly took out one of his knackers, as it was he had 4 in gash across the top of his inner thigh. High up in the middle of the Ochils we had to ride out, he "stitched" himself and the bike up with insulating tape and still managed 2 pints in the pub afterward. A lot more nails than me...
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Impressive repair PM!
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Emphursis
    Emphursis Posts: 124
    The other week when I was going for my first 30 mile ride, I got a puncture at roughly the half way point. No problem, I thought, as I whipped the wheel off and changed the tube. It was a pretty windy day, and it started to rain just after I stopped, so I wanted to get back on the bike as quickly as possible. As a result, I didn't check the tube was in as thoroughly as I should have done. Put the wheel back on, started inflating with some C02, only to realise that the tyre was bulging alarmingly. I cut off the C02 and deflated the tube as quickly as I could, and luckily there didn't seem to be any damage. Fixed the pinch and went to inflate it again, only to remember that I only had the one C02 cartridge - I'd used my other one on the previous ride and when I went to buy a new tube that very morning, I thought to myself 'No, I don't need to buy two more cartridges, one tube, one cartridge will be fine.'

I had to use my rubbish mini-pump, which could only get it up to about 30psi. Made for a pretty nerve wracking ride home!
  • Kerguelen
    Kerguelen Posts: 248
    Sods Law means that If the bike going to fail your going to be at your furthest point in your ride as happened today. Back tire deflated so hopped off to find that the tire wall had split with about a 2 inch Rip. After staring at it for 5 minutes and realising it wasn't going to repair itself I rolled up some crisp packets I had found and using my emergency gaffa tape I have stuck to the underside of my seat I botched it all together put in a new tube and rode the 20 miles home. It didn't look pretty and I could feel the lump on every revolution but, it did the job. Many thanks to the 3 lots of cyclists who slowed down enough to ask me if I had everything I needed, (was at Rivington reservoir) Shows the cycling community are not a bad lot, thanks also to the makers of gaffa tape, and thanks to the scruffy ba$tards for dropping litter in an area of outstanding beauty (you muppets) and for as good as it was I can't see the schwalbe Ultra monster munch combo catching on.. So on that note what emergency repairs have you had to make to get you home..?

Had something similar riding home last week. 2 punctures caused by sharp bits of metal, holes big enough for the tube to bulge through. I booted the tyre in both places with some paper I had on me in the hope that it would get me to the next train station a couple of miles away.

Got me home (another 20 miles), which was nice!