Off/On road cycling apps - suggestions

5parky
5parky Posts: 49
edited May 2013 in MTB general
Before I take the plunge and purchase 'Strava' @ £3.99 a Month, I was wondering what others use. I did have everytrail but after starting to look around I came across 'Strava', I like the idea of the time competing against others but I also like making up my own routes, whether competing against myself or out for a casual ride.

There seems to be so many apps out there, with different lists of Top 10 or Free so any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks

Mark

Comments

• I use runtastic, although not ideal for biking it does give good stats on climbs & split times.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Free Strava. 50 quid a year seems a vey lot to me.
  • 5parky
    50 quid a year seems a vey lot to me.

That was my thought too, I like the idea of comparing times and using others to compete against, although I'm not a hardcore rider.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    5parky wrote:

That was my thought too, I like the idea of comparing times and using others to compete against, although I'm not a hardcore rider.

You can do that with free Strava. £3.99 just gives you more analysis that you probably don't need.
  • mcnultycop wrote:
    5parky wrote:

You can do that with free Strava. £3.99 just gives you more analysis that you probably don't need.

^ This

The only thing your premium membership buys you is the ability to do things like set goals on segments. You also get things like your "suffer score" when using a HRM and additional analysis for power meter users. It's mostly identical though.

Oh, and you get a little badge over your name that let's everyone know you're a premium user and therefore better than they are :lol:

I'm a massive Strava addict. I have the premium version, mostly because I use the roadie a lot more than the MTB these days, and I use the premium features on there with the Garmin.
  • Cardiotrainer.
  • 5parky
    Cheers everyone, I'll stick with the free version and see how it goes. :)
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Endomondo. ting done.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • 5parky
    Ok, used Strava for a week now but thinking of ditching it. It's great for just going out, recording your ride and then seeing if there any comparison with others (and riding those routes again), but that's where it seems to end. You can go online and search for routes but there seems no way of downloading them to the app (at least Iphone from what I can see) and the app itself on the device is very limited when exploring.

Think I'll try some of the others
  • 5parky
    Ok, used Strava for a week now but thinking of ditching it. It's great for just going out, recording your ride and then seeing if there any comparison with others (and riding those routes again), but that's where it seems to end. You can go online and search for routes but there seems no way of downloading them to the app (at least Iphone from what I can see) and the app itself on the device is very limited when exploring.

Think I'll try some of the others
  • 5parky
    Endomondo. ting done.

So far this is getting a thumbs up. :)