Shoe covers over trainers

ErikH
ErikH Posts: 22
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
Hi,
I cycle in trainers and get cold feet when out. I am wondering if I could use shoe covers over my trainers, would there be enough of a "gap" underneath the shoe cover to allow a good grip on the pedal. (I use flat pedals)

Thanks,
Specialized Allez 16 - 2012

Comments

• farrina
    farrina Posts: 360
    edited May 2013
    I am not aware of any shoe covers suitable for trainers - I guess the problem would be that to allow sufficient space for your shoes to grip the pedal the would be little of the underside of the shoe cover left to stop it coming away from the shoe.

As far I am aware all shoe overs are designed to be worn over cycling shoes with plates that attach to your pedals.

I guess if you were using toe clips and straps you might be able to get away with using standard shoes covers but my suggestion would be down the clipless pedal route.

There are differing types of cycling shoes available to suit weather conditions, but we are getting into expensive territory here. No doubt somebody better informed than I will be along to say they have the perfect solution....

Regards

Alan
    Regards
    Alan
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    I would also suggest going clipless. Most roadies do in the end for lots of good reasons but if you don't want to then my suggestion is foot warmers. These are little sachet type things that heat up. You stick them in your shoes and, by all accounts, they work very well.

I never seem to get cold feet as I have neoprene overshoes over my Shimano shoes but this does seem to be a common problem. Do make sure you haven't done up your trainers too tightly though as this can cause cold feet.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Toe covers would work. I got some Campagnolo neoprene ones that go right around from toe to heel, so they will stay on and have nothing on the base apart from at the very front.
    Not as warm as full overshoes which will cover whole foot and ankle, but will be a lot warmer than nothing.

The other thing that would work is waterproof socks. Sounds rubbish but I have Sealskins ones that I often wear if its cold but not wet. They keep the wind (which is what often makes you cold) off and it save me having to bother putting the overshoes on (the two things combined are very snug and dry). Have had no breathability issues with them.

They are just like thick black socks and I think Go Outdoors have them at a discount.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    In crap weather I've worn my BBB overshoes over my trainers on the commuting bike. works absolutely fine, the "straps" on the underside of mine come under the arch of my foot, not somewhere I want to be pedalling.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • ErikH
    Great guys, thanks a mill, some food for thought.

Cheers,
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    I stopped wearing my overshoes nearly a month ago.... It's warm enough without them, granted my toes were a bit frozen this morning on my ride, but that was early morning, it's now 15 out!
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    I have a pair of sealskinz socks that seem to be pretty windproof and do the trick if i am wearing trainers on the mountain bike.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Someone on my club ride was wearing some cutout socks over his shoes, cheap option if you wanted to experiment!
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Someone on my club ride was wearing some cutout socks over his shoes, cheap option if you wanted to experiment!

You are in last of the summer wine territory, was it Compo?
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015

Probably not as cheap as you think or as Compo as Simonhead implies...... :wink:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/defeet-slipstream-overshoes/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=defeet%20slipstream%20exact&utm_campaign=RTC_defeet&referid=googwig&utm_adgroup=MC_DeFeet_Overshoes&gclid=CLzaqYjB9bYCFdHLtAod_S8Ang
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Jim C
    Jim C Posts: 333
    A large pair of planet x neoprene overshoes should fit. Cost, a tenner
    Can't see a problem, other than its warming up in the UK :-)
    jc
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Cheaper option than going clipless why not just buy thicker socks?
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • ErikH
    I already wear 2 pairs of socks :-)

Maybe the sealskins as mentioned above or the oversized shoe covers are the way to go.