Marzocchi Seals, how do i remove?

I7 Extreme
I7 Extreme Posts: 228
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello, i've disassembled my Marzocchi bomber z1 wedge forks and taken off the lowers and cant get off/dont know how to take off the seals. i've seen one video where someone put a spanner in and poped them off but they were different forks, i've given it a bit of a go but it didnt work. Can someone give me some advice?
(i want to take off the seals because i'm going to attempt to vinyl wrap the lowers 8)

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Put a tyre lever inside and underneath them and lever it out. If you use a plastic tyre lever it should prevent it from being damaged, though if you're taking it out you may as well buy a new seal since i'm guessing that one is many years old?
  • I7 Extreme
    yea, i think it is many years old, i've just broke a flatheaded screwdriver trying to get it out. It has moved a millimeter so i think they will come off with a lot of force. What seals should i get? dust or oil or both?
    thanks for the help
  • bennett_346
    Just the dust seal, unless the oil seal is damaged and has been leaking. I find dust seals tend to go brittle after a few years and reduce the smoothness of the fork.
  • I7 Extreme
    if there was an oil leak would the oil leak around the dust seal? if its not there where would it be? (just to make sure that i didn't have an oil leak without realizing)
    Thankyou for the advice i'l buy a new dust seal :-)
  • bennett_346
    You would of seen oil on the stanchions, you would know if it had leaked oil.
  • cobba
    cobba Posts: 282
    Marzocchi Seals, how do i remove?

Look at some old Marzocchi Service Manuals and see how it's done.

http://my-sport.spb.ru/manual_1/index-16.htm
  • I7 Extreme
    does anyone have any tips for getting off stiff seals?
    there's dirt down the side of the seals and once i move a bit up 3mm or so and take out the tool the seal returns to its original position. I cant take the whole seal of in one go because the tool would just bend too much (its a ParkTools thing). I'm going to try and get some dirt out the side and look for some stronger tools, but if anyone has a tip or some easy trick i'd love to hear it. thanks
  • I7 Extreme
    i got it off in the end with some huge tool which made it easy :D
  • I7 Extreme
    i think i'l buy two of these, http://activesport.co.uk/shop/article_5 ... ml?pse=coa (looks like an oil seal in picture but there also selling an oil seal on the website so i think they just used any pic)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I would buy nothing off Mark Anthony/Activesport. Do a forum search and see why.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I7 Extreme
    edited May 2013
    Thank you for doing it for me, you probably saved me £7. After reading all the reviews they probably wouldn't have had it in stock. i didn't search the forums for the website because according to Google shopping they have 36 reviews and a 5* rating. Just before i order some i better make sure that the seals i need are the same size of the sanctions, right?, thanks again for the links
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    It is rumoured that they write their own reviews.
    Obviously just a rumour.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I7 Extreme
    I couldn't find anywhere selling the 30mm seals on there own, there were just dust and oil kits, but even then they were too expensive. Not with much choice I Ignored the advice and bought them, making sure I had screen shots and didn't delete any emails. The first email it said it should take 48 hours to dispatch and 3-5 working days to arrive however some things need to be ordered in which can take 7-10 days. It has been 16 days and they have arrived and they are the right size. I've had no issues with the company but I didn't contact them, that seems to be the issue with their service. I wouldn't recommend them though because of all the bad reviews but they may be okay if you've got time, not much money and only buy nothing over £20.