Building Stamina

longy
longy Posts: 74
Can anyone suggest the most effective routines/programmes for building stamina - for better performance up hills specifically?

I do one or two rides per week and one or two gym sessions per week.

Comments

• DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    look up threshold training on Google
  • _HENDO_
    _HENDO_ Posts: 93
    Hope you've got plenty of time! Only joking.

If you have a heart rate monitor it will help gauge what pace to ride at. Roughly 60-65% of your Max heart rate, or about a 6/10 for effort will be where you'll improve stamina.

However you will need to ride for 2 hours plus to develop your aerobic engine fully.

That's quite a general answer but if I went in to great detail you'd be reading more than riding!
    For professional MTB & BMX coaching, training & guiding!
    www.pedaltoprogression.com
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Or to keep it simple if its hills you struggle with then train on the terrain. Set yourself up a loop with a good sized hill and either ride back down for recovery or if you can work out a short road return to the bottom that would work. Then ride the hill at a good hardish steady pace, get to the top and use the return as a recovery, repeat this 3 times and do this session a few times then just up to 4 and up to 5. Will work on your hill climbing fitness, aid with technique, build the mental 'I can do this' strength, teach about good pacing etc.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.