£300 road bike, only one choice?

chris_bass
chris_bass Posts: 4,913
edited May 2013 in Road buying advice
Is there any point in looking for anything other than the Triban 3 at the £300 price point?

i'm keeping my eyes peeled for 2nd hand ones as well but if I was going to get a new bike (its for my dad's birthday) is there anything that comes close to value for money around the £300 mark?
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

Comments

• englander
    englander Posts: 232
    Time and time again, the answer is always the Triban 3!
    Specialized Allez 2010
    Strava
  • chris_bass
    yeah I know, but thought I'd check in case something new and exciting had snuck out without me noticing!
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    Our family just chipped in and bought my nephew a Triban 3. The budget was £300. I did loads of research and it came back to the only choice in the end. I got the steel-forked one so that it will stand a bit more rough abuse (he's taking it to Uni) and it cost £280. Bargain.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    You have to question, why would anyone want to buy a second hand triban when a new one is 300 ?
    I realise people have budgets but even second hand fetch 250-260 so who would realistically forgo a warranty for such a small saving ?

To answer the question though, I cant see any other option, the triban is a wicked bike.
    Living MY dream.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    Can I just say what a nice son you are :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Appreciate everyone has a budget, but if you have £300 that's a nice deposit against a bike for twice that amount. Most places offer 0% finance. £300 / 12 months = is £25 per month. Widens your options somewhat.....
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    removed
  • chris_bass
    Appreciate everyone has a budget, but if you have £300 that's a nice deposit against a bike for twice that amount. Most places offer 0% finance. £300 / 12 months = is £25 per month. Widens your options somewhat.....

I agree completely, and if the bike was for me then i'd be upping the budget!

but its for my dad's 60th birthday! he's not going to be doing anything too serious but he definitely needs an upgrade from his old mountain bike he uses and he never goes off road!
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Is there a £600 bike that's twice as good as a triban ?
    Living MY dream.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I bought my bike for £300...2nd hand from ebay about 2 years ago.

Ok it has a generic Alu frame, but:

It was immaculate - like a race bike, sunday best
    Carbon forks
    Full ultegra groupset (6500 - including wheel hubs, which were handbuilt, so have replaced the rims now, at low cost)
    Great saddle, superlight (USE Alien) seatpost

the guy even chucked in a spare Dura Ace cassette and stem.

The other plus side is that it is a bit different and certainly turns heads, it gets a few compliments and isn't a common/popular bike (for good or for bad reasons!) which makes me like it a bit more.

And without trying to sound too cocky, I was zooming past the other superbikes in the Ups and Downs sportive this weekend, so I can assure you it doesn't hold me back!
  • chris_bass
    coriordan wrote:
    I bought my bike for £300...2nd hand from ebay about 2 years ago.

Ok it has a generic Alu frame, but:

It was immaculate - like a race bike, sunday best
    Carbon forks
    Full ultegra groupset (6500 - including wheel hubs, which were handbuilt, so have replaced the rims now, at low cost)
    Great saddle, superlight (USE Alien) seatpost

the guy even chucked in a spare Dura Ace cassette and stem.

The other plus side is that it is a bit different and certainly turns heads, it gets a few compliments and isn't a common/popular bike (for good or for bad reasons!) which makes me like it a bit more.

And without trying to sound too cocky, I was zooming past the other superbikes in the Ups and Downs sportive this weekend, so I can assure you it doesn't hold me back!

sounds stolen to me!!! :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    300 for a 10yr old generic Alu bike? Others would say I'd been had!