Advice on what to carry with you?

barrygti
barrygti Posts: 4
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
Hi there

This is my first post on the forum after buying a Viking Peloton 2012 road bike (slate me if you must)

I'll be doing roughly 3-4 miles to work and back a day so not a massive journey but i was wondering if anyone had any tips on what i should be carrying with me on my journey? So for instance if the chain happens to come off, what would be handy to have with me etc.

Cheers

Comments

• Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Not a common issue but a chain tool and a spare link... Lots of vids around to show you how to do it. Quite straightforward.. Even I managed it! Spare tube/patch kit and a couple of tyre levers for punctures. Mini pump or co2 inflator. Mobile phone, spare cash and card for emergency. Erm not much else I would have thought...
  • Hi Barry, welcome to the forum. For a short journey like that you shouldn't need much, if the chain comes off all you need is a pair of hands to lift it back on again and maybe a pair of disposable gloves if you've got white handlebar tape to save getting it oily. Other than that a spare innertube, some tyre levers, pump and a multi-tool.
  • londoncommuter
    londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
    With that sort of distance I don't think it's worth lugging too much around with you as a two mile walk at worst isn't going to kill you.

I'd carry a pump, spare tube and tyre levers and leave it at that. If you're unlucky (or haven't properly picked the glass out of your tyre when fixing the first puncture!) you could also take some tube patches in case you have to fix it again:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/park-tools-punc ... per-patch/.

This might depend on what shoes you're wearing though as I'd go a bit more overboard with mini-tools, tyre boots etc if you'll be walking in SPD-SL cleats!
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    If you're wearing cleats a walk of any distance is a pain in the backside and likely to ruin the cleats. Me, I carry 2 x spare tubes (if it's raining or freezing the last thing I want to be doing is faffing around patching holes) tyre levers, instant patches (in case I run out of tubes or it isn't raining or freezing) a Co2 inflator and spare cartridge, chain tool and a spare link. It all fits in one rear pocket without problem and I'd sooner carry it and not need it than not carry it and find I do need it.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Hi, I would say its better to have stuff at work so you can sort it out there as you have such a short journey.

Agree on the rubber gloves though.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,434
    if you're wearing trainers, you could get away with carrying nothing, 3-4 mile walk if you get a puncture or other problem isn't fun but aside from time lost is no big deal

but assuming you'll want to ride further at times, getting a saddle bag with the usual stuff will make you self-sufficient for common repairs and basic maintenance tasks

pump
    spare tube
    rema tip top puncture repair kit - http://www.probikekit.co.uk/bicycle-tyr ... 79755.html
    minitool with a chain tool on it
    tyre lever if you can't do it with fingers
    pair of kmc missing links
    plastic gloves
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    barrygti wrote:
    Hi there

This is my first post on the forum after buying a Viking Peloton 2012 road bike (slate me if you must)

I'll be doing roughly 3-4 miles to work and back a day so not a massive journey but i was wondering if anyone had any tips on what i should be carrying with me on my journey? So for instance if the chain happens to come off, what would be handy to have with me etc.

Cheers

I'm a viking rider too, so you won't get any slating from me!

For journeys of that distance, assuming its not raining, I usually only carry a hopeful outlook and a cheery laugh in the face of adversity/bad luck. If you are not riding clipless, I'd carry nothing and use it as an excuse to run, in the event of a puncture. You can mostly avoid the chain coming off by never changing gear :D

For longer journeys I carry:

Multitool (allen keys, screwdriver)
    Tyre levers
    Inner tube
    C02 cannister
    Light waterproof
    Something to nibble o
    Insert bike here:
  • DRBB
    DRBB Posts: 85
    I bought a small neoprene camera case (padded, zipped) and I keep a spare inner tube, tyre levers, 1 CO2 inflator and a multitool in it. Measures 15x11x2cm, weighs about 350gms and fits into a rear pocket on a cycling jersey. That and a mobile phone - also agree on the surgical gloves!
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    For < 2 miles I carry no bike kit.
    For >2-4 miles I carry my general repair kit but really I don't need it all, just the puncture kit with a spare inner.
    >4 miles you probably do need to carry a general repair kit.
  • Buckie2k5
    Buckie2k5 Posts: 600
    get yourself a small saddle bag. Stick a spare tube, multi tool and tyre levers in it and forget about it.
  • barrygti
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll look into getting these bits and see how i go.

What the hell are cleats? Lol.
  • doug5_10
    doug5_10 Posts: 465
    Cleats attach to the bottom of cycling shoes for clipping in to clipless pedals, not what Americans call football boots! They result in much stiff-legged duck walking
    Edinburgh Revolution Curve
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/1920048
  • Hi Barry, welcome to the forum. For a short journey like that you shouldn't need much, if the chain comes off all you need is a pair of hands to lift it back on again and maybe a pair of disposable gloves if you've got white handlebar tape to save getting it oily. Other than that a spare innertube, some tyre levers, pump and a multi-tool.

That. Some people like to take two inner tubes (I have never needed to), and a puncture repair kit is a good idea (self-adhesive patches are very convenient). Framefits are the best pumps.

To be honest, you don't really need the multi-tool; you could just take a chain tool. Having allen keys and screwdrivers (etc) can occasionally be handy, but you have to ask yourself what you'd want them for and whether or not you'd actually make that repair/adjustment whilst out.

Other than that, take some bonk rations/emergency food. For me that's generally a bag of jelly babies, as thankfully I generally don't need them often and don't want to worry about them going off.
  • Anonymous
    barrygti wrote:

What the hell is a Viking? Lol.
  • + Mobile phone

It can be a life saver.
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • + Mobile phone

It can be a life saver.

Forgot that. When I was a Cub Scout we were encouraged to carry 50p for a payphone. A £10 note for a taxi if the worst really does come to the worst is probably a good idea as well; I'm sure I should carry one.
  • barrygti
    Carbonator wrote:
    barrygti wrote:

What the hell is a Viking? Lol.

Easy! Stick to the topic. Lol.

I'll do some research. Thanks for the replys people, i'll try not to be too much of a noob and research before i ask too many questions that have been asked before.

Cheers
  • Anonymous
    Sorry lol, could not resist, and you did say we could ;-)

Welcome to the forum :-)
  • When I was a Cub Scout we were encouraged to carry 50p for a payphone.

When I was a cub scout we were encouraged to carry 2p for a payphone :shock:

:mrgreen:

And today's Cub Scouts probably don't know what a payphone is. :lol:

And today's Cub Scouts probably don't know what a payphone is. :lol:

You're not wrong :D
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • What's a pay phone? :)
    12 year old claud butler MTB
    2012 giant defy 0 (black is slimming you know!)