2nd 50 miler completed but need help

CleeRider
CleeRider Posts: 304
edited May 2013 in Road general
Did my 2nd 50 miler today - avg spd 17.6mph compared to 16.5mph last time, in very similar conditions on a pan flat route. So very happy with that improvement!

However as with last time, the last 5 miles were torture for my legs.
It was so bad that as I came down our road for the last mile, I tried to change down a gear to make it a bit easier, only to find that I was already in the biggest sprocket at the back. :). (big chainring tho obviously)

I don't think this is bonking (though I'm not sure of the symptoms of bonking) because I had a massive porridge (1200 calories) before I left and a Clif bar at the half way mark. Is this simply a sign of exhaustion meaning I need to build strength more?

I don't want to ease off and go slower as I get a buzz out of seeing my fitness progress, so is the answer to simply keep riding and my distances will continue to increase?

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Sounds like you gave everything you had and simply reached your limit.

You need to go steady for the last 10 minutes anyway (warm down) so seems perfect to me :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    CleeRider wrote:

I don't want to ease off and go slower as I get a buzz out of seeing my fitness progress, so is the answer to simply keep riding and my distances will continue to increase?

You caned it and ran out of gas. Its normal. next time you will be better. There are some good structured training programs available if you want to mix it up a bit but I don't see too much wrong with finding out where your limits are every now and then.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    CleeRider wrote:
    Did my 2nd 50 miler today - avg spd 17.6mph compared to 16.5mph last time, in very similar conditions on a pan flat route. So very happy with that improvement!

It was so bad that as I came down our road for the last mile, I tried to change down a gear to make it a bit easier, only to find that I was already in the biggest sprocket at the back. :). (big chainring tho obviously)

I don't think this is bonking (though I'm not sure of the symptoms of bonking) because I had a massive porridge (1200 calories) before I left and a Clif bar at the half way mark. Is this simply a sign of exhaustion meaning I need to build strength more?

:shock:
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • CleeRider
    Grill wrote:
    CleeRider wrote:

:shock:

Fuelled for a week ;)
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    That's way too much for a pre-ride meal of that distance, especially if it was less than 2 hours before your ride. The amount of time it would take to digest is prohibitive as well as your glycogen stores wouldn't be that low if you'd eaten the night before. But hey, nutrition is personal so as long as it works for you. Good call on the Clif bar.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • CleeRider
    Grill wrote:
    That's way too much for a pre-ride meal of that distance, especially if it was less than 2 hours before your ride. The amount of time it would take to digest is prohibitive as well as your glycogen stores wouldn't be that low if you'd eaten the night before. But hey, nutrition is personal so as long as it works for you. Good call on the Clif bar.
    Don't normally do porridge. Read the box and thought hmm the usual small measurements for a portion - lets make enough for 2 people to be on the safe side. In the end it was a very big bowl of porridge and with the dried fruit and maple syrup I simply couldn't leave any lol. Oink Oink! :)
  • Steve236
    Steve236 Posts: 212
    That sounds like bonking to me. The one time it happened to me was after a big bowl of porridge. Not familiar with Clif bars but I'd be looking to eat at least 3 or 4 times over 50 miles, usually a cereal bar, malt loaf and a banana.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Steve236 wrote:
    That sounds like bonking to me. The one time it happened to me was after a big bowl of porridge. Not familiar with Clif bars but I'd be looking to eat at least 3 or 4 times over 50 miles, usually a cereal bar, malt loaf and a banana.
    No...this is not bonking!!
    Symptoms of depletion include general weakness, fatigue, and manifestations of hypoglycemia, such as dizziness and even hallucinations. This condition will not be relieved by brief periods of rest
    This is just needing to build up your strength and getting used to longer rides. Only 2nd time of doing this distance means it is further than your body is used to! Not bonking!!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,949
    Not bonking imo. You'll only (hopefully!) be daft enough to bonk properly once because it's a horrible feeling and you won't forget it. You don't just shift into an easier gear, even sitting upright on the bike and keeping it going is difficult as your legs don't just go, everything does..think of those marathon runners doing zig-zags across the road with a vacant stare. I struggled to even lift the kettle on my return when it happened to me.

Sounds like you've just given your legs a good going over and pushed their limits so keep at it.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    The main symptoms associated with bonking or hypoglycemia are:

1 Sweating
    2 Fatigue
    3 Feeling dizzy
    4 Being pale
    5 Feeling weak
    6 Feeling hungry
    7 A higher heart rate than usual
    8 Blurred vision
    9 Temporary loss of consciousness
    10 Confusion
    11 Convulsions
    12 Coma

I think 1 to 7 are normal for most of us :D

8 to 11 are a proper bonk, been there got the T shirt.

12 can I have yer bike :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • I bonk as soon as I start pedaling if that list is anything to go by!
  • stueyboy
    stueyboy Posts: 108
    This has happened to me a couple of times; once on a 50 mile training ride and then on a 75 mile sportive. On both occasions the last 10 miles were nasty. Not bonking as I think that my legs just weren't used to the distance. I just had to coast the last few miles and going up hills were pretty grim. As I understand it, if you bonk, you can hardly pedal let along get up a hill.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    I bonk as soon as I start pedaling if that list is anything to go by!
    I usually start bonking after I finish pedaling...the wife prefers it that way :wink::wink:
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    CleeRider wrote:
    I was already in the biggest sprocket at the back. :). (big chainring tho obviously)
    Just to pick up on what may be a throwaway line but...

You're ok to use the small ring. No-one points and laughs, it's there for a reason. Could be that you're spending too much time grinding in the big ring instead of making use of the full range of gears that the bike came with, hence the early onset of bonk. Maybe.
  • I also eat a bowl of porridge before going for my weekend ride (around 50 miles as well) but I found that I need to eat more solids to feel "well" throughout the ride. I used to eat mostly bananas and stuff but I found making myself a nice big sandwich as my "midpoint" meal resulted in my feeling (a) less tired/exhausted at the end, (b) less hungry at the end as opposed to eating lots of bananas throughout the ride, and generally a more settled stomach. I still eat a banana or two but with the big sammich I feel a lot better.