Wearing underwear under padded bib or shorts

P34RC3
P34RC3 Posts: 37
edited May 2013 in Road general
Abit of a personal one lol but I'm in 2 minds weather to or not. Are u supposed to wear pants under them lol? Just seem to strangle me abit.

Comments

• Wirral_paul
    Wirral_paul Posts: 2,476
    Absolutely not - they arent designed to be worn with underwear. Go Commando!! :mrgreen:

Seriously though - some may get away with it but you're risking your underwear rubbing and causing huge problems.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Never.

The pad is designed to go directly next to the skin. Only wear them once though and then wash them as infections can be had by repeated use between washes.

Chafing will occur if you use underwear.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Jon_1976
    Jon_1976 Posts: 690
    I got told to MTFU last time :D but I dont go commando. Without going into too much detail, but I wear jersey type boxers and dont experience any chaffing or discomfort at all, even after 3-4 hours. I probably have an arse like rhino hide though :oops: I can imagine cotton woven underwear would be cause a LOT of chaffing though.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The only thing you should wear between pad and butt is butt butter :-)
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    It's like a kilt. You aren't doing it properly if you keep your kecks on :D .
  • You should wear your pants over your bibshorts shouldnt you !!? :lol:
  • Wirral_paul
    ant.rocket wrote:
    You should wear your pants over your bibshorts shouldnt you !!? :lol:

Blue bibshorts / red pants??
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    No pants, much to my wifes amusement.

The first time I wore shorts I wore my pants under them and I cycked to Paris in 24hrs and did not experience any discomfort at all. Although I dont need any creams or anything when wearing padded shorts either. Must have been all those beatings I got as a kid that toughened up my rear.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I don't always need the cream either 8)
  • goonz
    ant.rocket wrote:

Dont give me any ideas! :lol:
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Been riding 8 months and only in last couple of weeks have I gone commando. It's about 10000000000 times better.
  • P34RC3
    P34RC3 Posts: 37
    Just went commando. It was better thanks for your feedback s. the old lad wasnt so sure about it when the wind picked up tho lol!
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    The first pair of bibshorts I bought I asked the guy at the bike shop the very question...his reply...

"Tell you what mate, put underpants under your shorts go for a ten mile ride and then come back and tell me why you'll never do that again!!"

I never have worn pants under my bibshorts.
  • Wirral_paul
    goonz wrote:
    ant.rocket wrote:

Dont give me any ideas! :lol:

I'd never do that Goonz - and i'd never suggest you'd look better in a Spiderman outfit anyway!!! I sure as heck wouldnt post this link here ==> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HOT-2013-NEW-SpiderMan-Slim-Bicycle-Cycling-WEAR-Jersey-Bib-Shorts-M-XXL-/140911125206?pt=UK_Cycling_Clothing&var=&hash=item20cef522d6
  • littleprawn
    littleprawn Posts: 135
    edited May 2013
    On a cold day, like this morning I use a thermal baselayer pair from Lidl.

Does the trick and have used the thermal baselayer on cold weekend rides. Do not seem to get any issues but usually it is commando!
    Cannondale CAADX 5 105
    Trek T10
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I have padded shorts that I'll wear under the long (padded) tights ... but no - padded shorts next to the skin - if you're cold then you can layer up over that ...

Worst I've done is padded shorts, lycra 3/4 length & long fleece tights .... I didn't put the waterproofs on over the top - but may have been sensible!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Slowbike wrote:
    I have padded shorts that I'll wear under the long (padded) tights ... but no - padded shorts next to the skin - if you're cold then you can layer up over that ...

Worst I've done is padded shorts, lycra 3/4 length & long fleece tights .... I didn't put the waterproofs on over the top - but may have been sensible!

How are you settling down in Siberia? Are the locals nice?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

:D

They're fine - but a little puzzled by a bloke whizzing about on 2 wheels ....
    :p
  • goonz
    Slowbike wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

:D

They're fine - but a little puzzled by a bloke whizzing about on 2 wheels ....
    :p
    Whilst they ride about on polar bears....
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    Read this post with keen interest. Tried commando this morning for the first time and found that I had a sweatier a**e when I changed into work attire than I normally would with undies on.
  • ralphy1967
    ralphy1967 Posts: 40
    Hopefully not sounding like a tool but pants are trousers not underwear, that's why underwear are called underpants because they go under your pants. So please stop refering pants as underwear because they're not!!!!
  • goonz
    fatsmoker wrote:
    Read this post with keen interest. Tried commando this morning for the first time and found that I had a sweatier a**e when I changed into work attire than I normally would with undies on.

Dont you wash first?

Or at last wipe up before changing?
  • Gazspurs
    Gazspurs Posts: 122
    After reading this thread on Wednesday night I decided to go commando on my ride yesterday.

Personally I found it very uncomfortable & will be sticking with wearing tight/comfy boxers on rides.

I do however have freakishly large testicals & without the support found them moving round the saddle all over the place!
  • TKF
    TKF Posts: 279
    ralphy1967 wrote:
    Hopefully not sounding like a tool but pants are trousers not underwear, that's why underwear are called underpants because they go under your pants. So please stop refering pants as underwear because they're not!!!!
    Do you call a pavement a sidewalk too?
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    edited May 2013
    It's only 'going commando' if you were ever meant to wear underwear in the first place..
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Why is there even a debate about it? Bike shorts are designed to be worn without underwear, and the vast majority of us use them in the way they're designed to be used. If a handful of people don't get it and insist on wearing an extra layer for no good reason that's their issue. Carry on doing it wrong, but don't trouble us with some half-ar$ed justification for it. :wink:
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    CiB wrote:
    Why is there even a debate about it? Bike shorts are designed to be worn without underwear, and the vast majority of us use them in the way they're designed to be used. If a handful of people don't get it and insist on wearing an extra layer for no good reason that's their issue. Carry on doing it wrong, but don't trouble us with some half-ar$ed justification for it. :wink:
    +1 - thats it. It's something you don't do, as you realise when you do experience chafing. You won't do it again.
  • doug5_10
    doug5_10 Posts: 465
    CiB wrote:

+2 Hear hear!
    Edinburgh Revolution Curve
    http://app.strava.com/athletes/1920048
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    The only reason why I wear underwear, the family and I where driving somewhere and a cyclist out in front had obviously crashed and slid across the road. He was enjoying probably the most embarrassing and humiliating ride back home with full hairy ass on display and it really didn't look good!!! I can't bring myself to risk the same happening :wink::lol:
  • rob21
    rob21 Posts: 284
    Personally I found it very uncomfortable & will be sticking with wearing tight/comfy boxers on rides.
    me too.............