Vittoria open corsa

roogster
roogster Posts: 31
edited May 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi anyone had any experience with the open corsa evo cx,they are £19.99 on planet x,might get a pair
Cheers

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Just seen and you are looking at the 19mm clincher tyre:
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/TYV ... lding_tyre

Not sure what the difference is what what I have, but they might be uncomfortable if that narrow.

I have the Open Corsa Evo CX II 23mm tyres on my bike at the moment and they are lovely. I usually ride GP4000s but these are really nice and do feel a lot softer over bumpy terrain and cornering. This makes them feel a lot faster and smoother, particularly on less than ideal roads. I save them for longer rides and best, as they aren't cheap and don't last long.

As for punctures, done 600 miles on them and nothing yet.
  • Anonymous
    Edit:

Or there's this, which looks good:
    and

much better as a 23mm. Good prices too. Not sure what the difference between the 2 above are (one appears to be slick vs the other). The Evo CX II has a higher threadcount at 320 TPI compared to 290 on the above 2
  • Tpi means treads per inch, the more threads normally means a better tyre however do not last as long as lower tpi as higher are more racy
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    I have a pair of them on my summer bike, got mine for £24each from Ribble, not sure they have any left. They have been great tyres so far, fast, grippy and smooth on rough surfaces. I used the front on sunday in a TT when I flatted during my warm up and had to quickly change wheels, glad I did as the road was a nightmare.
  • roogster
    roogster Posts: 31
    just had a look at the planet x links you have posted and there are quite a few different types of open corsa,not sure what the difference is between any of them
  • Anonymous
    I would go for one of the 2 in my second link.

Which one? Your guess is as good as mine! haha. Maybe ask PX?
  • gryfon23
    gryfon23 Posts: 64
    edited April 2013
    The planet x are an older model. In the last couple of years they changed from 290 tpi to 320. It is supposed to make quite a difference in ride quality, but I cannot back this up as I've never tried the old model.

The 320tpi open corsa is however an awesome tyre especially fitted with latex tubes. Worth the extra pumping :D

These are the ones that I think most people refer to when talking of open corsa tyres http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-open-c ... cher-tyre/
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I have the Open Corse Evo CX 320tpi and they are awesome.

Not the most puncture proof or long living, but the ride is noticably better than anything else I have had.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,432
    with 'evo' in the name, they'll be the older ones with pre-isogrip compound, really low rolling resistance but some reported them slippy in the wet

without 'evo', just 'open corsa cx', is the current model using the isogrip compound, much better in the wet
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    gryfon23 wrote:
    The 320tpi open corsa is however an awesome tyre especially fitted with latex tubes. Worth the extra pumping :D/
    I run them like that, been very impressed. Smooth rolling and a lovely feel.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Best tyre I've ever used.
    Just make sure that you scrub them in before you go out in the wet, I went out on a new set and it was like riding on ice, but once you scrub them in they're faultless wet or dry.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    sungod wrote:
    with 'evo' in the name, they'll be the older ones with pre-isogrip compound, really low rolling resistance but some reported them slippy in the wet

without 'evo', just 'open corsa cx', is the current model using the isogrip compound, much better in the wet

Not sure you are correct there.

Vittoria Open Corsa EvoCX(320Tpi) Tyre
    Corsa CX has proved successful in road races all over the world, but the new EVO version is bound to have even greater success.
    With a "handmade" structure for superior performance and comfort, it has also got a special latex inner tube that increases its elasticity and puncture resistance. Further features are the Kevlar® SiO2 3D Compound with added silica - for reduced rolling resistance and better grip in the wet. - New high density casing - a true 320 tpi - delivers unbeatable comfort and superior performance with inflation pressure of up to 145psi
    - New PRB 2.0 puncture resistant belting placed underneath the tread increases the flat prevention properties of the Corsa Evo CX up to 40%, even while reducing the weight
    - The new Corsa Evo CX is tougher and faster than ever before
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • pkripper
    pkripper Posts: 652
    smidsy wrote:
    I have the Open Corse Evo CX 320tpi and they are awesome.

Not the most puncture proof or long living, but the ride is noticably better than anything else I have had.

Agreed, mine are my go to race tyre, purely as they ride so well. GP4000s for everything else, but if I had lots of cash I would use the CX's for everything, they're just not as durable tho. :cry:
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    I run the 25 mm Corsa EVO CX really nice tyre, rear lasts about 5,000 K the front about 8-10,000 K,
    Prefer them to the Conti's I have tried, may look at the Michelin Pro4 next.
    Vittoria Pave did not last for me and kicked up a lot of spray for people following me!
  • Roll well, corner well. I have them as clinchers and tubs. Fronts have worn out in 3000 miles though. The last couple of years I've had 2 punctures in about 10000 miles.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • nick300zx
    nick300zx Posts: 219
    I've had mine on for a few weeks, with latex tubes. Done about 350 miles.
    They are a big improvement in feel and comfort over previous Rubino pros. Very confidence inspiring.
    However, I've already had two deep cuts on rear. Both down to the tube but did not touch the latex.
    So great tyre for performance and comfort but not great on Surrey roads, definitely for best (or wealthy people).
  • sungod
    smidsy wrote:
    sungod wrote:

Corsa CX has proved successful in road races all over the world, but the new EVO version is bound to have even greater success.
    With a "handmade" structure for superior performance and comfort, it has also got a special latex inner tube that increases its elasticity and puncture resistance. Further features are the Kevlar® SiO2 3D Compound with added silica - for reduced rolling resistance and better grip in the wet. - New high density casing - a true 320 tpi - delivers unbeatable comfort and superior performance with inflation pressure of up to 145psi
    - New PRB 2.0 puncture resistant belting placed underneath the tread increases the flat prevention properties of the Corsa Evo CX up to 40%, even while reducing the weight

if you look on vittoria's website, there is no evo, the evo with 3d compound is the older, pre-isogrip compound, the new one is "corsa cx"...

http://www.vittoria.com/en/product/cott ... oduct-4472

...in the previous generation, i think it was the corsa sc that first had isogrip, but now they've updated the cx and other road tyres with it

imho vittoria don't make it easy to keep track, and many online shops still post the old info
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    I'm on my third rear to one front and I bet that front will last longer than the new rear, you can still make out the tread in the centre of the tyre and the rubber still looks great, I'd guess a rear lasts for roughly 2500 miles of country lane abuse.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    sungod wrote:
    smidsy wrote:
    sungod wrote:

if you look on vittoria's website, there is no evo, the evo with 3d compound is the older, pre-isogrip compound, the new one is "corsa cx"...

http://www.vittoria.com/en/product/cott ... oduct-4472

...in the previous generation, i think it was the corsa sc that first had isogrip, but now they've updated the cx and other road tyres with it

imho vittoria don't make it easy to keep track, and many online shops still post the old info

I bought a pair from PX a few months back. According to the box, they are Corsa Evo CX II with the Kevlar SiO2 3d compound and PRB2.0 protection plus 320 tpi casing. Infact, not only does it say this on the box but it says it on the tyre as well!
    I'm pretty sure it is exactly what Smidsy quotes. I think where you are going wrong is in assuming that an Italian company website editor is going to list his companies products and specs accurately........ :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • sungod
    no, it's the other way round...

sio2 3d is the *old* compound, if your tyres use this, they are old stock

isogrip is the *new* compound, first used on the sc, now used on the others...
    ISOgrip been secretly tested during Giro d’Italia and Tour de France by pro teams such as Rabobank and is now available to the public. Vittoria’s entire cotton family, from Corsa CX to Pavé CG, has the new innovative compound.

According to Vittoria the new tires have spectacular test results saying, "“By comparing the laboratory tests with the previous developed compound Kevlar SiO2, ISOgrip holds the identical mechanical properties, improves cut resistance, increases wet grip and reaches a level of adherence to the ground never felt before, without any increase in the rolling resistance. ISOgrip defines maximum grip and speed in performance tires. On dry or wet road conditions, ISOgrip® will take you beyond your limits. ISOgrip is our new reference standard”
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I am really liking my Open Corsas and the grip levels are amazing. A little mistake last night (blush) meant I needed more than I have ever asked of any tyre. They delivered and didn't feel like I was close to the limit of grip. Finding the limit of grip would involve speeds/G forces that would result in serious injury or death.

I find them best pressure wise at around 95. The roll advantage is very evident when rolling down hill, next to friends.

I was always a GP4000S fan and would still go back to them but the Corsas are certainly right up there with them, may be slightly ahead.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    I'm running the 320tpi version with latex tubes. Excellent combination and great tyres. As mentioned they won't last very long and are more prone to cuts, but you can't have everything! I ride on some very rough roads and these tyres have transformed my bike from a bone shaker to a bike that feels like it has suspension! I fill any larger cuts with super glue, does the job.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    Bozman wrote:
    I'm on my third rear to one front and I bet that front will last longer than the new rear, you can still make out the tread in the centre of the tyre and the rubber still looks great, I'd guess a rear lasts for roughly 2500 miles of country lane abuse.

The one on the front of my bike has been on since Sept 2011 and I'm on my second rear (the first died after getting a monster slash down the sidewall after riding into a gap in the road). They were originally on my best bike but that's now wearing Corsa tubs, so they've been moved to the weekday/club bike.
  • rolf_f
    I fill any larger cuts with super glue, does the job.

Why would you repair cuts in something that is soft and flexible with a totally inflexible glue that forms a sharp edge when it dries? :wink:
  • mitchgixer6
    mitchgixer6 Posts: 729
    Rolf F wrote:

Why would you repair cuts in something that is soft and flexible with a totally inflexible glue that forms a sharp edge when it dries? :wink:

In order to stop them getting any bigger and ruining the tyre! Not much of an issue about in flexibility when we're talking about 1-2mm on the tyre surface. Not sure what you mean about a sharp edge, any extra glue gets worn off the surface once you ride on it.

I actually saved my rear open corsa from the bin recently. I hit a sharp stone and got about a 1 cm gash in the tyre right through creating a hole. I super glued the flap of rubber on the outside back down and held a small section I cut out of an old water bottle on the inside with masking tape. Obviously not ideal but it saved a £40 tyre (that only had 600 miles on it) from going in the bin. Happy days!
  • andi1363
    andi1363 Posts: 350
    Just to temper this Open Corsa love fest, I will share my last and final expirience of Vittoria products. I have used their tyres for racing and summer training for years with great satisfaction. However the last pair I bought were aweful. No grip in the damp which caused me to crash twice. Wrecked a pair Assos shorts and an Ultegra rear mech. I later found out that production had been moved to the far East and there had been some initial quality issues. Despite these known issues, Vittoria decided to release these dangerous tyres for general sale.
  • Mettan
    Mettan Posts: 2,103
    I had a pair of the 290 KS's many moons ago - lovely plush ride (about as comfy as I've experienced) - look forward to trying the 320 CX's at some point.
  • sungod
    andi1363 wrote:
    Just to temper this Open Corsa love fest, I will share my last and final expirience of Vittoria products. I have used their tyres for racing and summer training for years with great satisfaction. However the last pair I bought were aweful. No grip in the damp which caused me to crash twice. Wrecked a pair Assos shorts and an Ultegra rear mech. I later found out that production had been moved to the far East and there had been some initial quality issues. Despite these known issues, Vittoria decided to release these dangerous tyres for general sale.

that'll be the sio2 3d compound, nasty in the wet, many have made the same complaint

unfortunately these are now being sold off cheap, i wouldn't touch them with a bargepole

but i would use the new ones with isogrip, and plan to once i run out of contis, all reports i've seen from people who used the old corsa sc (first with isogrip i think) or the new corsa cx (now isogrip) say they're fine
  • rolf_f
    Rolf F wrote:

In order to stop them getting any bigger and ruining the tyre! Not much of an issue about in flexibility when we're talking about 1-2mm on the tyre surface. Not sure what you mean about a sharp edge, any extra glue gets worn off the surface once you ride on it.

It's the inner surface. You have filled a slit with a rigid glue that will be pressed into the inner edge of the slit each time the tyre goes round. It's like you've removed the glass from the tyre and glued in more glass to repair it! It's really not the right glue for the job.

FWIW, I don't bother repairing cuts and they don't get any bigger! If I did bother, I'd use rubber solution - flexible so it will last longer and it won't damage the tyre any more like superglue.
  • rolf_f
    sungod wrote:
    andi1363 wrote:

that'll be the sio2 3d compound, nasty in the wet, many have made the same complaint

That doesn't appear to make sense. Andi1363 is referring to a quality control issue - you are referring to the spec of the rubber which has been used for several years afaik. The issue can't be the same.