Clothes For 100mile Ride In May?

kampernaut
kampernaut Posts: 27
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
I'm new to this cycling stuff and haven't bought much gear yet. I hope you can provide some advice on what to wear for a 100mile charity ride I've got coming up in May. Its going to take me all day and so I should probably equip myself for a wide range of weather conditions. Anything can happen in Wales at that time of year! :lol:

Due to the bad weather up until now I've been wearing bib shorts with old running leggings over them, a couple of running shirts on top and then a waterproof hi-viz jacket (nutters on the road around here). Last weekend the sun came out for a change and I was OK with just the bib shorts on my legs although it was a bit chilly in the shade when the wind blew.

However we're going to be starting this event early in the morning and it can be a bit nippy then in May even if the sun does come out later in the day (fingers crossed). So I don't know whether to buy a long or short sleeve jersey. What would you recommend?

Shorts or tights?

Also what if it hammers down with rain? Do you guys carry waterproofs with you? If so, where do you pack them?

So far I've done 68 miles in one day and so I think I'm physically capable of completing the ride. I just don't want to fail because I didn't have the right clothes.

All suggestions greatly appreciated.

Comments

• chuckla
    chuckla Posts: 132
    Assuming you're doing the Carten100? Im doing that aswell, and Im pretty new to road cycling! I'll be wearing bib shorts, jersey and a windproof lightweight jacket to start with, been considering some leg and arm warmers as they can be removed easily once hot. As far as waterproofs, I'll pack a light weight waterproof jacket, I probably wont bother with waterproof trousers!

Starts off a bit nippy, but I warm up relatively quick, as long as my top half is warm im ok!
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Shorts will be fine I would guess. If its pouring you'll get wet but I find bare legs dry better anyway. For the top half I would be baselayer, Cycling jersey and arm warmers. I also prefer a wind proof gilet vs a light jacket. I bought a castelli squadra showerproof thing and quite honestly I doubt I will wear it again. Its boil in the bag unless its bucketing down and cold. A gilet and armwarmers will pack down into your jersey pocket if you carry tubes, co2 etc in a saddle pack. Alternatively shove em up your jersey.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Good luck with the ride.
    I would go with arm warmers (unless it really is long sleeve weather) and a decent windproof lightweight gilet or jacket if you can get a decent half breathable one.
    I have found knee warmers useful. They offer good protection/warmth but are easier to take on/off and carry than leg warmers.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    If you're doing a 100 miles in the saddle I'd be more concerned about chamois cream than clothing....

Ride commando if you don't already and get some cream to stop chafing - you need to be doing yourself and the pad in the shorts to make sure you keep 'smooth' to the end.

As to clothing: shorts and short-sleeved top with lightweight arm warmers. Showerproof jacket that can be folded up and put in the middle pocket of your top (or shoved under the saddle)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Calpol wrote:
    Shorts will be fine I would guess. If its pouring you'll get wet but I find bare legs dry better anyway. For the top half I would be baselayer, Cycling jersey and arm warmers. I also prefer a wind proof gilet vs a light jacket. I bought a castelli squadra showerproof thing and quite honestly I doubt I will wear it again. Its boil in the bag unless its bucketing down and cold. A gilet and armwarmers will pack down into your jersey pocket if you carry tubes, co2 etc in a saddle pack. Alternatively shove em up your jersey.

Forgot to add - A cycling cap can be really useful if it rains - keeps water out your eyes and off your glasses. It will also keep your napper warm in the morning.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,372
    I've just posted this on another thread but its the Aldi Cycling Day on Thursday - reasonable gear, cheaply priced from what I gather.

I understand that the offers are for one day only . . .
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I would rather be too warm than too cold. Recently I've been wearing shorts with leg warmers, long sleeve jersey and baselayer (mesh + thick long sleeve base layers). Only if its hot would I go short sleeved, if its raining then its a balance of keeping dry and keeping warm.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Wow, I didn't expect so many responses so quickly! Thank you everyone for your replies!

@chuckla, yes I am doing the Carten100. I've ordered the ride's jersey but I imagine that even a size too large, "race fit" may not be commensurate with my portly build. I was also pessimistic about the weather so ordered the long sleeve one. Didn't know arm warmers even existed. Suppose I could always cut the sleeves off! :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Long sleeve should be fine. Its probably only thin and not a warm long sleeved one anyway.
    I have put arm warmers under a thin long sleeved jersey before.
    There are a lot of layering combinations ;-)
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    I'd suggest checking the forecast. The weather is looking really good this weekend, I'm also doing a 100 mile Sportive, I think sun tan cream may be the order of the day. Sure it might be a little nippy at 8:30am but 2 miles down the road i'll be fine. I'll be ditching the leg warmers and skull cap. Short sleeve jersey, bib shorts and some will power is what I'll be packing! :)
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Just my view - better to wear long sleeves/too much clothing and be a tad warm, than to have short sleeves/too little clothing and get chilly.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    A few folk are going to have you sweating cobs, check the weather first and then you'll know if you need a waterproof, otherwise - bib shorts, s/s base layer and a s/s jersey plus a cotton cap. If there's a chill, add arm warmers and a lightweight gilet which you can pocket when it warms up. If you wear a long sleeve jersey you're shafted if you warm up, but there's no issue with arm warmers.

It amazes me when you see folk still wearing jackets, tights and winter hats now, you must end up losing your body weight in sweat.
  • bushu
    bushu Posts: 711
    Bozman wrote:
    It amazes me when you see folk still wearing jackets, tights and winter hats now, you must end up losing your body weight in sweat.
    up until yesterday i was in my biemme winter bibtights, base layer, merino top & windproof jacket (though it has been converted to gilet on the way home a while now) 8) yes i get a bit sweaty if going at a pace, but would rather have warmth when i have to stop for traffic and the wind cuts through any get up & go i may have.. "brrrrr.."

EDIT - racing, obviously be avoiding the traffic problem so I wouldn't be too worried, just make sure your plenty warm at the start of the race imho
  • JimboM
    JimboM Posts: 380
    As suggested above Aldi have got their cycling gear in today. I picked up jacket that has zip off sleeves for £15 and a ultra lightweight rain jacket for £10. With these 2 and mybe a pair of leg warmers you should be OK for pretty much all weather conditions.
    Cannondale Synapse 105
    Giant FCR3
    GT Avalanche 3.0
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0
  • JimboM
    JimboM Posts: 380
    As suggested above Aldi have got their cycling gear in today. I picked up jacket that has zip off sleeves for £15 and a ultra lightweight rain jacket for £10. With these 2 and mybe a pair of leg warmers you should be OK for pretty much all weather conditions.
    Cannondale Synapse 105
    Giant FCR3
    GT Avalanche 3.0
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0
  • kampernaut
    kampernaut Posts: 27
    Thanks very much again all. I bought one of those Aldi lightweight jackets and some knee & arm warmers. I reckon I'm equipped now :-)