Triban 5 B'Twin

whitestar1
whitestar1 Posts: 530
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
Hi all
I am new to road racing but have been communting on a mountain bike for over a year now. I am planning to buy a B'Twin Triban 5 road bike (Decathlon) £500 if failing to acquire that total by Christmas I will go for the Triban 3 (it does look nice in red). What are the views on these bikes? Decathlon has a store on my daily communte so its my lbs.
Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
Specialized Roubaix Comp 2017
Cube Agree Pro 2014
Triban 7 2013
RockRider 8.0 2011
http://www.whitestar1.co.uk

Comments

• woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Great starter bike. Buy the cheaper one and use it as a winter hack when you eventually upgrade. Get to know your bike over the next year or so - the parts, how they all work, how to service it, how to ride it in different circumstances (solo/groups/long distance etc). Then, some day, enjoy picking the bike of your dreams based on what you've learned. Enjoy.
  • whitestar1 wrote:
    Hi all
    I am new to road racing but have been communting on a mountain bike for over a year now. I am planning to buy a B'Twin Triban 5 road bike (Decathlon) £500 if failing to acquire that total by Christmas I will go for the Triban 3 (it does look nice in red). What are the views on these bikes? Decathlon has a store on my daily communte so its my lbs.
    There are loads of threads on the Triban 3 here
    http://www.cyclechat.net/forums/beginners.4/
  • I'd wait and see if the Triban gets the 2013 sora shifters - in which case go for that because it won't have annoying paddle shifters
  • Just got my triban 3 yesterday, and had it out once up to the top of the road and I am in love! Meh to the 2300 shifters, but they will do for now... Can't afford tiagra just now!

Feels just as nice as bikes I've ridden which have cost 3x as much.
    It rave reviews online too on cycling active... The 5 seems to be much and such the same but with carbon seat stays and sora groupset all round...
    It's been a while...
  • Woodywmb wrote:
    Great starter bike. Buy the cheaper one and use it as a winter hack when you eventually upgrade. Get to know your bike over the next year or so - the parts, how they all work, how to service it, how to ride it in different circumstances (solo/groups/long distance etc). Then, some day, enjoy picking the bike of your dreams based on what you've learned. Enjoy.
    That is really great advice! Mentioned to my wife today that I need a road bike and its about £400 and she blew her top off. Really cant blame her there are things to do in the house. But I really want to ride on the road with the chaps at the club. B'Twin 3 it's going to be.
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
  • Thanks for the replies chaps. What can I do to improve the 3?
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
  • Mr Will
    Mr Will Posts: 216
    whitestar1 wrote:
    Thanks for the replies chaps. What can I do to improve the 3?

Buy the 5 in the first place, tell SWMBO that it was reduced to just £50 more than the cheap one.

It's okay to bend the truth like this because it'll be cheaper than buying the 3 and then upgrading it...
    2010 Cannondale CAAD9 Tiagra
  • I went with the 5 a couple of weeks back. The guy in Decathlon i spoke with seemed to know his stuff and he said he would go for the 5 over the 3. (did speak with another guy in there and he said the three but to be honest there only seems to be the one guy in there with decent road bike knowledge).

What i can tell you is if they don't have your size then don't expect to get one before early Nov as they're not expecting any deliveries before then. Also the new models are due around June next year and apparently there's going to be a new bike slightly more expensive than the 5 but a lot more bike for the money. How true this is i really don't know.
  • goffski wrote:
    I went with the 5 a couple of weeks back. The guy in Decathlon i spoke with seemed to know his stuff and he said he would go for the 5 over the 3. (did speak with another guy in there and he said the three but to be honest there only seems to be the one guy in there with decent road bike knowledge).

What i can tell you is if they don't have your size then don't expect to get one before early Nov as they're not expecting any deliveries before then. Also the new models are due around June next year and apparently there's going to be a new bike slightly more expensive than the 5 but a lot more bike for the money. How true this is i really don't know.
    I am going for the 5 on the C2W plan. Can't wait any longer. Joined a club and I want to join the peleton. I like the look of the 5 too, although I think the red is great.
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
  • triban
    triban Posts: 149
    i Bought the 5 a few months ago, if anyone is thinking about picking one up, i would recommend it.

its a really good ride, and the spec is excellent. btwin are actually a really well known and respected brand in europe (they have a TDF team!), they're just new to most brits so i think there is a bit of snobbery from some riders.

i've posted some info and pictures about my triban 5 on a blog, please take a look if you have time!

http://www.triban5.theresnonamesleft.com
  • triban wrote:
    i Bought the 5 a few months ago, if anyone is thinking about picking one up, i would recommend it.

its a really good ride, and the spec is excellent. btwin are actually a really well known and respected brand in europe (they have a TDF team!), they're just new to most brits so i think there is a bit of snobbery from some riders.

i've posted some info and pictures about my triban 5 on a blog, please take a look if you have time!

http://www.triban5.theresnonamesleft.com

I really love the pictures! Let you see mine when I get it next month!
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
  • goffski
    goffski Posts: 72
    I mentioned in another thread about the guy in Decathlon telling me about a new bike coming this year, more expensive than the Triban 5. Might be this one;

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/fc-3-black-r ... 21749.html
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    goffski wrote:
    I mentioned in another thread about the guy in Decathlon telling me about a new bike coming this year, more expensive than the Triban 5. Might be this one;

That looks pretty cheap for a 9kg bike. I wonder if it really will weigh that much.

If it's as good value as the Triban 3 I could see this becoming the default entry level carbon bike.
  • lotus49 wrote:
    goffski wrote:

That looks pretty cheap for a 9kg bike. I wonder if it really will weigh that much.

If it's as good value as the Triban 3 I could see this becoming the default entry level carbon bike.
    I have had a good look at it this week. It's so tempting but a extra £350 is anywhere to be found. Have to stick with the '5. I notice its still using the B'twin wheels and tires along with an upgrade on the breaks but its still theres. The carbon frame is just lovely though.
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
  • Makes you wonder what is the Triban 7
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
  • Don't know if anyone saw the review I posted on the decathlon website but this is 'the worst bike I've ever bought, the brakes were all but useless striaght away and then during my first ride the chain broke and had to wait for it to stop by itself as the brakes had stopped working. After i had paid to have them both fixed i went out again and they were fine for about a month but after that the gearing broke during a ride on a flat and smooth road surface. My advice do not buy this bike it is the worst that i have ever ridden!'
  • Don't know if anyone saw the review I posted on the decathlon website but this is 'the worst bike I've ever bought, the brakes were all but useless striaght away and then during my first ride the chain broke and had to wait for it to stop by itself as the brakes had stopped working. After i had paid to have them both fixed i went out again and they were fine for about a month but after that the gearing broke during a ride on a flat and smooth road surface. My advice do not buy this bike it is the worst that i have ever ridden!'

Why did you pay to have it fixed?
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • KevChallis
    KevChallis Posts: 646
    I wonder if he is just going round forums typing this on them all, not a bad first post haha :D
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • I smell a rat!!
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • I smell a rat!!
    a rat? im majorly scratching my chin here thinking what the boys agenda could have been
    if he paid to have the work done, at best hes an idiot who has never heard of a warranty, never mind decathlons 'fix without fuss' policy
    its possible he could have got a friday afternoon build hence brake failure and chain issue but its unlikley that you would fail to notice both brakes are knackered before you set off on it

hes probably one of those dudes who has a 3 grand garage ornament and a wardrobe full of tagged rapha gear that doesnt like the ordinary man getting into the exclusive world of cycling AND seeing all those cheap red3's running about boils his blood

long live BTWIN, the more the merrier, wouldnt you agree?
    PS - Are you pedalling on parliament Chumster? Go on :wink:
    http://pedalonparliament.org/the-pedal-on-parliament/
  • KevChallis
    He works at Halfords and is a test rider for Carrera?? :D
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • hey dont knock carrera, their range at the upper level is fantastic, like really fantastic

its a pity they jumped into bed with the 'frauds, where indeed he probably works
  • KevChallis
    hey dont knock carrera, their range at the upper level is fantastic, like really fantastic

its a pity they jumped into bed with the 'frauds, where indeed he probably works

Dude, I didn't knock them :D

My MTB is a carrera lol, just saying he probably works for the competition HAHA
    Kev
    PlanetX Pro Carbon
    Voodoo Bizango
  • KevChallis wrote:
    I wonder if he is just going round forums typing this on them all, not a bad first post haha :D
    Firstly I have only posted a review on decathlon to try and warn people about the bike and decathlon refused to pay for repairs as they said I caused the fault when the bike shop I took to get it fixed ghe second time said it was a manufacturering fault and I only posted on this website to see if anyone else has had the same problem
  • whitestar1
    Don't know if anyone saw the review I posted on the decathlon website but this is 'the worst bike I've ever bought, the brakes were all but useless striaght away and then during my first ride the chain broke and had to wait for it to stop by itself as the brakes had stopped working. After i had paid to have them both fixed i went out again and they were fine for about a month but after that the gearing broke during a ride on a flat and smooth road surface. My advice do not buy this bike it is the worst that i have ever ridden!'

I have been riding a Decathlon mountain bike the Rockrider 8.0 for two years one month and a few hours and never have I had the experience you have had! I have had problems most certainly, but the staff fixed them without a fuss. I have had the front mech giving trouble and they upgraded it from an X5 to X7 no extra cost. So what exactly is your story? If it was such a rubbish bike way didn't you return it and have it exchanged? I know every staff at the M6/J9 store and all the managers since I got my bike and I know they would have worked with you or even exchanged the bike with another. So once again why didn't you return it? Or is there more to this story than what you are willing to disclose? Did you get it second hand?
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
  • whitestar1
    I ended up buying the Triban 7 (£600) due to the changes in the new Triban 5a specs and I liked the fact that the Triban 7 spec was actually selling for £850 to £1000 in the other brands!

Specifications
    Frame
    The sloping aluminium frame is very sturdy and easy to handle. It has shorter geometry for a comfortable riding position. The tubes are shaped to optimise performance. The carbon stays filter out vibrations. The shape of the chainstays and seat stay means more lateral stiffness.

Fork/suspension
    Carbon blade, aluminium steerer, 1"1/8 aheadset, with a combination of strength, low weight and precision.
    Drive train
    The Shimano Tiagra compact groupset is sturdy and reliable. . Compact double chainwheel, 10 gears
    Brakes
    This Btwin design, fitted with brake shoes, makes it possible to change rubber pads. The double pivot, offers powerful braking, and is made from cast aluminium and covered with powder coating, highly resistant to regular washing.
    Crankset / cassette
    Shimano Tiagra 2012 2-piece chainset with hollow axle technology and built-in bottom bracket is very rigid and the cranks are anodised to reduce corrosion. The Hyperdrive SG-X compact 50-tooth and 34-tooth chainrings are designed for faster chainring changes. The cassette has a 12 to 27mm range, which allows less powerful cyclists to effortlessly tackle difficult routes.
    Handlebar / stem / steering
    The compact Btwin handlebar is suited to the bike's size. It is made of aluminium 6061 T6 and its compact shape is starting to be widely used in the peloton, allowing you to place your hands at the bottom of the handlebar without any discomfort. The handlebar weighs 320 grammes in size 420mm. The Btwin stem, made from aluminium 6061 T6, is also suited to the bike's size, weighing 180 grammes in size 110mm. The steering uses long life sealed bearings
    Wheels
    The BTWIN Allround 28 wheels are sturdy and versatile: perfect for flat or hilly roads. The rim has 28 holes in it for superior spoke stability. It is 24mm high which gives it a level of rigidity that cannot be denied. weight: front wheel 910 grammes and rear wheel 1150 grammes
    Tyres
    Hutchinson Equinox is an excellent tyre for fast-paced training outings
    Saddle / seat post
    BTWIN Sport saddle. This saddle is anatomically shaped, weighing 288 grammes. The seat post is shorter because the frame is made with an extended seat tube, the top and tube of which are made from aluminium, weighing 260 grammes
    Pedals
    Welgo 40 clipless pedals, tension adjustable, pair: 295 g.

That's a huge savings for me and I love my new bike to bits. Her name is Whitney.
    Ride Safe! Keep Safe!
    Cube Agree Pro 2014
    Triban 7 2013
    RockRider 8.0 2011
  • No i didn't buy it second hand i bought it from the Decathlon store in Southampton, the staff were good when i bought it but turned sour when i tried to get it fixed i got the impression that it was a common fault as they knew what was wrong even before i told them and they told me it has happened to quite a few people and that they couldn't be held resonsible for it a it was because of poor maintenance of the bike
  • I smell a rat!!
    Have you got back from the job centre yet?
  • No i didn't buy it second hand i bought it from the Decathlon store in Southampton, the staff were good when i bought it but turned sour when i tried to get it fixed i got the impression that it was a common fault as they knew what was wrong even before i told them and they told me it has happened to quite a few people and that they couldn't be held resonsible for it a it was because of poor maintenance of the bike

Personally, I think you're lying! :wink:

Why? I don't know but something doesn't add up. :roll:
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
This discussion has been closed.