29er With Double Crankset

alesupper
alesupper Posts: 286
edited May 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi All

I'm in the market for a 29er hardtail and a lot of the bikes that I fancy (e.g. Grand Canyon AL 9.9) come with a double crankset rather than a triple. I live on the edge of the Lake District and tend to ride on the road for 10-20 miles to get into the Lakes before riding off road. My concern is that a 38 chainring will be too small for the road? My current MTB has a 44/32/22 crankset.

Opinions welcomed?

Comments

• Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    It probably won't be. You just up your cadence a bit, which is very good for your fitness levels (not that schlepping up a load of hills in the Lakes won't be)
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • alesupper
    Thanks Giraffoto. I agree, I think it will be rare for me to be spinning out on a 38/11. Especially with the larger 29" wheels which will increase the gearing anyway.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Giraffoto wrote:
    It probably won't be. You just up your cadence a bit, which is very good for your fitness levels (not that schlepping up a load of hills in the Lakes won't be)

A mixture of that and also allowing for the larger gearing of a 29er (big wheels/tyres etc.) it'll be fine.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    I find my 29er, which has 38/24 at the front and 11/34 rear slightly high geared in bottom gear (24-34), I think a 11/36 rear would be better. I'm in the yorkshire Dales, which isn't that different to the Lakes.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • alesupper
    I find my 29er, which has 38/24 at the front and 11/34 rear slightly high geared in bottom gear (24-34), I think a 11/36 rear would be better. I'm in the yorkshire Dales, which isn't that different to the Lakes.

I agree. I will be using a 36-11 cassette.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    You'll be fine - that's almost equivalent to a 42/11 on 26" wheels, which is plenty.
  • alesupper
    njee20 wrote:
    You'll be fine - that's almost equivalent to a 42/11 on 26" wheels, which is plenty.

Thanks for your reply. I have to admit, initially, I hadn't taken that fact that the larger wheels will increase the gearing into account.