Pinarello Decision

WarlKicken
WarlKicken Posts: 224
edited April 2013 in Road buying advice
HulloThere!

...so after muchos saving, overtime and much hardwork (haha) I'm finally there at the doorstep of grabbing a Pinarello :*)

I'm no serious racer but love cranking up some miles (usually try and get the best part of 100-150km in where i can) on a weekend round rural Surrey/ Kent from my base in SouthWest London. I'm currently using my one and only true love, SCOTT S40. She's my commuter gal, battered and bruised from multiple encounters with buses, lorries (that one hurt) and a rather shocked looking Ford Focus driver. It's painful but I keep her clean, serviced and she does the trick. Time has come to give it the weekends off though and get a little something for the weekend.

Two main protagonists for my lengthy weekend cycles;

Pinarello ROKH 105 2013 model - £2,549
Pinarello QUATTRO Ultegra 2012 model - £2,499

Any suggestions from people that might know? There is also a ROKH Ultegra for 500smackers more than the 105 but I'm not trying to win any Tours or even weekend amateur races so didn't see the point of forking out a bit more....unless there is a decent reason??

I'm 5'10 and no idea what sizing ill be, looks of it a 54-56? I like to be hunched up when I ride (for better or worse, it's my comfort style :D)

Any suggestions on purchasing establishments as well would be ace. London based so London would be best.

Many thanks, as usual, for all your help.

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I'd peronally go for something that's a bit different. How about a look 566? 105 for 2k and ultegra for 2.5 absolutely lovely to ride.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Pinarello are pricey for what you get. Is your heart set on that make ?
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Unless you have ridden both and think they are both wonderful - they both look drastically over priced in comparison to other brands. If both of these bikes are your undisputable choice then Evans stocks both models. I note you like the Scott -I have noticed a fantastic deal on the CR1 recently and you have a good idea on Scott sizing.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    The CR1 is lovely, it's not as buttery smooth as some but is nice if you want something a bit less harsh but still sporty feeling.
  • redcard
    redcard Posts: 15
    I would avoid Pinarello as well. Too expensive and too heavy. A Specialized Roubaix Comp is better specced though probably still overpriced compared to some other brands.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Okay more expensive but imho a far better buy with interest free credit:

http://www.hargrovescycles.co.uk/produc ... egory=Sale Bikes&product=CR1 SL 20sp - 2012 Road Bike

The Scott CR1 at £2999 that is!
  • I wouldn't be a hard ass, saying that pinarello is not worth the money. It's pretty ace in my opinion. But that scott cr1 SL really does seem to do the trick for me. What a ride!

Factor in the wheels that come with the bike (the ksyrium sl's simply don't need upgrading).

Most importantly verify if Pinarello is really all you want by giving it a good long test ride before buying and compare it to the ones that others mentioned. the Rokh is fairly similar to other more relaxed geometry bikes. so you're of to a good start.
  • WarlKicken
    cougie wrote:
    Pinarello are pricey for what you get. Is your heart set on that make ?

Unfortunately, and its a stubborn bastard my heart. I've looked about, liked some BMCs, even a big brother for my SCOTT with their pricey carbon models.....but just end up back at Pinarello.
  • The Pinarello Quattro and Rokh are brother and sister, same spec and level of carbon but the Quattro has the typical Pinarello geometry and the Rokh is slightly more relaxed. You'll need double check what size you need as a 55cm Quattro is the same as a 53.5cm Rokh.

You might not get as much for your money in terms of groupset and wheels, but the money has been spent on the most important bit; the frame.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    You might not get as much for your money in terms of groupset and wheels, but the money has been spent on the most important bit; the frame.

But a high retail price on the frame doesn't actually mean that the frame is better than another frame of similar or lesser price; and with Pinarello prices are disproportionately high. At that level, unless you are pushing a huge wattage or are really heavy, I doubt that the frame will make much difference beyond what feels right and good to you, personally, on the road.

Ultimately, as long as it fits, what matters is what turns the OP on. And somebody has to desire a Pinarello! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    FWIW Pinarello are one of the last brands I would go for when looking for a new bike, but it's your money ...
  • Vintage Pinarello's though, nice! :D

http://www.lfgss.com/thread105032.html
  • everyone has there own preference... some like giant, some like spesh, some like BMC - I personally have a Pinarello and absolutely love it, and it makes me go out on my bike more than i would if it were another bike as i just love to look at it and ride it... so buy the bike that fits and makes you want to ride it!
  • Rolf F wrote:

But a high retail price on the frame doesn't actually mean that the frame is better than another frame of similar or lesser price; and with Pinarello prices are disproportionately high. At that level, unless you are pushing a huge wattage or are really heavy, I doubt that the frame will make much difference beyond what feels right and good to you, personally, on the road.

Ultimately, as long as it fits, what matters is what turns the OP on. And somebody has to desire a Pinarello! :lol:

Sorry I don't agree that you have to be at a high level to tell the difference between two different carbon road bikes. You've only got to go out for a few hours on any two bikes to appreciate the difference. And in my personnal opinion, as many other Pinarello owners share, there is a massive difference.
  • rolf_f
    Rolf F wrote:

Sorry I don't agree that you have to be at a high level to tell the difference between two different carbon road bikes. You've only got to go out for a few hours on any two bikes to appreciate the difference. And in my personnal opinion, as many other Pinarello owners share, there is a massive difference.

Read the post. That isn't what I said - what I said was at a high level the differences between expensive frames are less noticeable; they will all be as stiff as they are designed to be and as light as they can be (except Pinarellos of course). The point is that at the cheaper end there is probably more difference and there are some very bendy frames out there; therefore it's easier to end up with a duffer frame at the lower end. On that basis, the decision is down to what fits (and, obviously, the geometry you want). Ultimately, if you want to pay thousands for a production line monocoque frame (and there is nothing wrong with that if that's what turns you on) then do so and get a Pinarello but don't assume because the retail price of that frame is a couple of hundred quid higher than that of an alternative frame that you are actually getting a better frame because of it.
  • small_bloke
    small_bloke Posts: 222
    I have a Pinarello FP2 2011 with 105 which I bought for £1200 brand new (I know its only their basic entry model). I love looking at it , its shiny gloss paint with flashy graphics and bendy shaped forks & seats stays.

However that's all I end up doing - looking at it!

I still prefer my Boardman Team Carbon 2010 with Sram Rival. The Pinarello is heavy and doesn't climb very good for some reason.

My advice, buy a Pinarello because you actually really think its the best bike after a test ride. Don't buy it because its a Pinarello. You may end up like me, just looking at it and not riding it!
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Read the post. That isn't what I said - what I said was at a high level the differences between expensive frames are less noticeable; they will all be as stiff as they are designed to be and as light as they can be (except Pinarellos of course). The point is that at the cheaper end there is probably more difference and there are some very bendy frames out there; therefore it's easier to end up with a duffer frame at the lower end. On that basis, the decision is down to what fits (and, obviously, the geometry you want). Ultimately, if you want to pay thousands for a production line monocoque frame (and there is nothing wrong with that if that's what turns you on) then do so and get a Pinarello but don't assume because the retail price of that frame is a couple of hundred quid higher than that of an alternative frame that you are actually getting a better frame because of it.

So anyone spending a good bit of money on their next bike can just assume the expensive bikes all ride the same?! Just pick your size and favourite colour and off you go???

And I never made that assumption. I was simply implying that Pinarello spend more money than most on the R&D and materials in their frames, which is reflected in the price, compared with other manufacturers who prioritise groupsets and profit margins.
  • rolf_f
    And I never made that assumption. I was simply implying that Pinarello spend more money than most on the R&D and materials in their frames, which is reflected in the price, compared with other manufacturers who prioritise groupsets and profit margins.

Well that's the nub of it isn't it? On what basis are you implying that Pinarello spend more money than most on R&D and materials? Pinarellos own advertising or a detailed research of different manufacturers R&D activities? Genuine question - do you know or do you think?

And, of course, unlike most top end frame manufacturers who do still manufacture top end frames in their home country, Pinarello make nothing in Italy so the unit cost per 4k frame won't be very high.

I'm not saying they aren't any good - just that assuming that because they are expensive for what they appear to be means that there is some intangible superiority in the frame is a bit optimistic.
    So anyone spending a good bit of money on their next bike can just assume the expensive bikes all ride the same?! Just pick your size and favourite colour and off you go???

No - what I mean is that they are generally all good at a high level so it is probably wrong to assume that a 3k frame will necessarily work better for you than a 2k frame. You need to try out what works for you personally. When I bought my Look, I also tested a Scott CR1. That gave a beautifully smooth ride but the Look somehow excited me more. As it happens, in this case the Look was the rather more expensive frame but someone else might entirely reasonably have preferred the CR1.
  • Nickoo
    Nickoo Posts: 85
    I have a pinarello fp due (last years) and love it. Excellent bike. Or you be one of these sheep who go around on giants and treks
  • heathy_76
    heathy_76 Posts: 213
    edited April 2013
    I'd go for the quattro personally.

Absolutely love my Pinarello (upgraded from an alu Bianchi). Got no issues with the weight and the frame handles wonderfully, it feels very stable.

If you want a Pinarello get a Pinarello. You will only regret it if you don't.

Forgot to say that I got mine for an absolute bargain in the Wiggle sale. Shop around.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I think £2.5K is a lot of cash for a bike with Shimano Ultegra fitted. Now there's nothing wrong with Ultegra (it's bloody good), but move away from Pinarello and you can probably land a similar level frame with Dura Ace.

But you have to buy what you like. And to answer your specific question... ride one of each and go from there.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • WarlKicken
    Everyones opinion is much appreciated, thought I'd add here.

I know I could probably get 'more for my money', maybe the groupset on the bike isn't the best I do understand that. A lot of people will think I'm dumb BUT, Pinarello has my heart and ultimately, I want to want to get out on it. It is a real drag to haul myself up onto my SCOTT at the moment and haul it around the beautiful Kent/ Surrey countryside.

The way it seems to go then, is QUATTRO seems to be leading the race. I do love the ROKH, however I feel I might just love the name...it sounds tough! Haha. I am no elite rider, not even an amateur racer just ride for the love of it.

Heading to Windsor tomorrow to get some miles in the Sun and heading to a small shop named 7Hundred...anyone heard of them from around that area? Only going there as they seem to have a decent supply of Pinarello online and seem friendly. All else fails I know a damned good coffee house there that have a cracking slab of Chocolate Fudge cake with my name on it! :D

Many thanks again all. Very much appreciated.
  • Ben6899
    WarlKicken wrote:
    I am no elite rider, not even an amateur racer just ride for the love of it.

Don't let anyone tell you that you can't have a certain frame because you don't race. I once had a guy in a shop (I won't name names) telling me "no that's not for you" and quite forcibly moving me away from it after I explained that I don't race. Nice!

The bike I am currently speccing is around a race frame. Simply because I get on better with that kind of geometry.

Best of luck!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • WarlKicken
    Ben6899 wrote:
    WarlKicken wrote:

Don't let anyone tell you that you can't have a certain frame because you don't race. I once had a guy in a shop (I won't name names) telling me "no that's not for you" and quite forcibly moving me away from it after I explained that I don't race. Nice!

The bike I am currently speccing is around a race frame. Simply because I get on better with that kind of geometry.

Best of luck!

Thanks buddy. I absolutely love riding all over the place, long rides (for me anyway) I did just under four hours in the saddle the other Saturday and just loved it all (apart from when I realised I was cycling past ChelseaFC's training ground) Pah! My SCOTT has been smashed about and I'll never not love it but the feeling in the back of my neck and lower back when I was done, wow...you'd have thought I was 87 the way I was going on.

I read about ROKH's being decent for longer distances because of the more 'relaxed' geometry compared to the racer QUATTRO etc. Ah well, I'll hope they have my size to get out on tomorrow and have a ride.

Cheers though :D I duno what all the odd attitude is with riding sometimes. If you got the money and want to spend it...I bloody will :-D I'd get a DOGMA if I could :D
  • Ben6899
    WarlKicken wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    WarlKicken wrote:

Best of luck!

Thanks buddy. I absolutely love riding all over the place, long rides (for me anyway) I did just under four hours in the saddle the other Saturday and just loved it all (apart from when I realised I was cycling past ChelseaFC's training ground) Pah! My SCOTT has been smashed about and I'll never not love it but the feeling in the back of my neck and lower back when I was done, wow...you'd have thought I was 87 the way I was going on.

I read about ROKH's being decent for longer distances because of the more 'relaxed' geometry compared to the racer QUATTRO etc. Ah well, I'll hope they have my size to get out on tomorrow and have a ride.

Cheers though :D I duno what all the odd attitude is with riding sometimes. If you got the money and want to spend it...I bloody will :-D I'd get a DOGMA if I could :D

Nice one, just keep them wheels spinning.

And I agree, but you get used to it.
    Ben

• Rolf F wrote:

Well that's the nub of it isn't it? On what basis are you implying that Pinarello spend more money than most on R&D and materials? Pinarellos own advertising or a detailed research of different manufacturers R&D activities? Genuine question - do you know or do you think?

And, of course, unlike most top end frame manufacturers who do still manufacture top end frames in their home country, Pinarello make nothing in Italy so the unit cost per 4k frame won't be very high.

I'm not saying they aren't any good - just that assuming that because they are expensive for what they appear to be means that there is some intangible superiority in the frame is a bit optimistic.

No - what I mean is that they are generally all good at a high level so it is probably wrong to assume that a 3k frame will necessarily work better for you than a 2k frame. You need to try out what works for you personally. When I bought my Look, I also tested a Scott CR1. That gave a beautifully smooth ride but the Look somehow excited me more. As it happens, in this case the Look was the rather more expensive frame but someone else might entirely reasonably have preferred the CR1.

No I dont just read the Pinarello advertising blurb.

Most bicycle brands even the high end ones are manufactured in the far east. This doesn't mean the frames are manufactured any cheaper.

And no I have never made the assumption that a 3k bike must ride better than a 2k bike.

Returning right back around to the start, the Pinarello Rokh really rides well when compared with other branded bikes in the same price bracket currently available.
  • SoSimple
    SoSimple Posts: 301
    everyone has there own preference... some like giant, some like spesh, some like BMC - I personally have a Pinarello and absolutely love it, and it makes me go out on my bike more than i would if it were another bike as i just love to look at it and ride it... so buy the bike that fits and makes you want to ride it!

Isn't this what it's all about?

Did my first sportive yesterday and when I turned up was both overawed and intimidated by all the bikes on show as I sneaked in with my Defy 3. What struck me was that everyone was loved up with their bike and over a certain price there aren't any bad bikes, so why not buy with your heart?
  • WarlKicken
    SoSimple wrote:
    everyone has there own preference... some like giant, some like spesh, some like BMC - I personally have a Pinarello and absolutely love it, and it makes me go out on my bike more than i would if it were another bike as i just love to look at it and ride it... so buy the bike that fits and makes you want to ride it!

Isn't this what it's all about?

Did my first sportive yesterday and when I turned up was both overawed and intimidated by all the bikes on show as I sneaked in with my Defy 3. What struck me was that everyone was loved up with their bike and over a certain price there aren't any bad bikes, so why not buy with your heart?

Awh, cheers chap. I remember doing a sportive last year and seeing a Pinarello ROKH, fell in love. Never looked back! Off to Windsor tomorrow to, hopefully, test ride or at least get my hands on a couple.

Just still unsure over ROKH or QUATTRO?????
  • rolf_f
    Most bicycle brands even the high end ones are manufactured in the far east. This doesn't mean the frames are manufactured any cheaper.

Most top end brands do still manufacturer their top end bikes in their country of origin. Pinarello is one of a smaller number that have sold out entirely though no doubt more will follow (sadly).

Still, it is an interesting point. I wonder what difference in cost per unit to Pinarello is between, say, a FP Uno and a Dogma. I suspect it isn't actually that much but I'd be happy to be proved wrong. :wink: