Low duration / high intensity

CptKernow
CptKernow Posts: 467
Not having as much time as I'd like (5-6 hrs per week) I end up riding hard but not doing any great distances, i.e. nothing much over 50 miles.
I'll usually try and get a 30-40 miles ride in and a 40-50 mile ride in at some point in the week plus a spinning class or equivalent. Where I live (Cornwall) is pretty hilly too (100ft up per mile) so the intensity I ride at is pretty high.

My question really is how is this going to set me up for longer rides? I'm hoping to do a couple of 100 milers this summer. Will the kind of riding I do translate into longer easier rides or do I really need to put in the miles?

Comments

• Setarkos
    Setarkos Posts: 239
    As long as you make sure you drink and eat enough and you pace yourself, you should be fine without doing longer rides.
    If those 100 milers are events you want to do particularly well in, it might help to have ridden a similar distance in advance but in terms of finishing decently you shouldn't run into problems with the right nutrition and pacing.
    If you have a specific goal for your summer rides or if they pose a certain challenge other than the distance (eg. climbs), please specify.
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    You seem to be doing ok. So, because of the terrain where you live try riding for time rather than distance. That is, a flatish 100 if not racing could be done in 7 hours including stops. If you get to ride with others,draughting with them will will make it a lot easier. Start slowly and drink more than usual.
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.
  • grazza_e
    grazza_e Posts: 36
    From my own experience, nothing will truly replace getting the miles in. I was in a similar situation to yours a while back, most of my training rides restricted to 3-4 hours max, and no surprise on a century, after that 4 hr mark my legs started to wane. It won't stop you finishing, might make the last couple hours a bit of a grind though.

You are doing the right thing though in terms of trying to ride higher-intensity sessions in what time you have available. In your century you need to make sure you ride at an intensity level you can sustain (which is a bit of guesswork given you can't train the same distance) - don't try to ride a century at your 50 mile pace, I have made that mistake too many times, I probably should learn. You can always start out easy and blast home the last 30 miles if you feel good.

I'd definitely try to get some longer rides in though, even if only once a month, ramp up the distance gradually. It helps a lot to understand your fuelling, pacing etc. plus just the mental confidence you know what's needed. But this may require time you don't have, good luck anyway!
  • CptKernow
    CptKernow Posts: 467
    Thanks for the replies.

I think nutrition might be something I need to work on. Did a 60 miler at the weekend and felt like I was approaching fairy land towards the end even though it was only 10 miles outside my comfortable distance.

That and the legs. Legs start feeling weak even though I still feel like there's plenty more left in the tank.