Going to See TdF 2013 - advice please

Redhog14
Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
edited April 2013 in Road general
If there is another thread on this please direct me to it..I have been to the Alps before but not whilst the race is on and it was about 12 years ago.

Otherwise I am off to the Alps 15-21 July this year staying near Annecy does anyone have any tips for viewing the race stages?

Aim is to take in at least two from Stages 17/18/19 I have a notion that I could watch the start of S19 in Annecy town centre and then ride to the top by the shortest route possible in order to see the finish or am I dreaming?

I also would want to ride up Alpe D'Huez probably on the Tuesday (the race goes up it on the Thursday) what are the restrictions likely to be?

Cheers for any advice :D

Comments

• dgunthor
    dgunthor Posts: 644
    should be fine to ride up alpe dhuez on the tuesday. they'll close the climb off to traffic early on the day and cyclists a few hours before, will be able to walk up it though
  • Redhog14 wrote:
    I also would want to ride up Alpe D'Huez probably on the Tuesday (the race goes up it on the Thursday) what are the restrictions likely to be?

Drunk Dutchmen getting in your way? :D
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    Redhog14 wrote:

Drunk Dutchmen getting in your way? :D

Yeah forgot about that...
  • Redhog14 wrote:
    Aim is to take in at least two from Stages 17/18/19 I have a notion that I could watch the start of S19 in Annecy town centre and then ride to the top by the shortest route possible in order to see the finish or am I dreaming?

Think this is do-able, depends on road closures, race/caravan timings and so on. Reckon alot of other people will be trying to do it as well.
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    Watching in the mountains is fantastic, especially if you stand with the Dutch on Alpe D'Huez :D

Watch out for flying 80 year olds though when the caravan comes through. I've been to several stages when the kids were younger and the old men stood next to us were attempting to break the high jump record to grab freebies. They would then calmly turn to my kids and ask in a funny accent, "would you like these?" handing them caps, tshirts etc.
    It really is a fantastic day out, whole villages come to a stand still and have carnivals starting the afternoon before.
    This year we are having a weekend in Paris as I have never been to the finish. Would love to do what you are doing though, as Annecy is my favourite place in Europe.
  • YIMan
    YIMan Posts: 576
    I'm doing a similar trip.

Does anyone know what the score with camping is close enough to ride to Alpe D'Huez (I'm going in my Vw T4 camper)? Official sites are all booked up but I've heard lot's of people open fields for TdF campers?
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    We're staying in La Giettaz from Sunday 14th to Sunday 21st so aim to ride Mon, Tue and Wed, drive down for the Huez stage on the Thu and then watch stage 19 on the Col de la Croix Fry as it's practically on our doorstep. Another day of riding on the Sat then home.