Cycle insurance within the home required

mtb_mark_uk
mtb_mark_uk Posts: 222
edited May 2013 in Road general
Hi,

As my contents insurance is up for renewal I thought that it would be a good time to have another look for policies that are "bike friendly" so to speak. By that, I mean do not have a £1K limit and do not required you to pay approx 10% of the bikes value per year when you specify the value of a bike above that limit.

I do not require cover outside of the home and the bikes are kept in the house, not the garage.

My two bikes are each worth more than £1K, although I don't want to go into details on a public forum for obvious reasons.

Any recommendations would be gratefully received.

Thanks, Mark

Comments

• I told Aviva mine was worth £1200 (slight exaggeration obviously) and it added £1 a month to my policy. That covers me outside the home too.
  • mtb_mark_uk
    Unfortunately that amount is nowhere near enough to cover the value of the bikes if they're stolen.
  • xloly
    xloly Posts: 140
    I use a broker who is actually a neighbour too. He covers mine up to £4200. I'll send you his contact details if you like.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    BC insurance. It's not the cheapest, but the coverage is well worth the money.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Also with Aviva. Mine are covered up to full value in the home or garage and up to £2500 when away from home. The extra was £16pa.

They must be locked with Gold Standard locks when away from the house, so I just don't leave them anywhere.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I'm with Direct Line, in a 2 bed flat and my contents insurance costs abot £40 per year and all bikes are covered whilst inside (including my £5k Rourke). I phoned them to confirm :-)
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • mtb_mark_uk
    Thanks for all the advice! Aviva was perfect and I've signed up with them for my renewal! :)