1.2mm gear cables

team47b
team47b Posts: 6,425
edited May 2013 in Road buying advice
Why are they all different diameters?

I have three in front of me from different bikes, each is a different diameter, all claim to be 1.2mm, but some are significantly larger than others, don't suppose it makes a difference. Shimano MTB gear cables and their road ones are stated as requiring all the same spec ie 1.2mm. All the outer casings are the same diameter.

All brake cables are 1.6mm but MTB (hybrid/flat bar etc) and road ones have a different nipple. Actual Shimano brand brake cables come with the two different nipples, one at each end so depending on which of your bikes need a new brake cable you can cut off the one you don't need, clever.

Not really any point to this drivel just wanted to share my small world, off to watch some paint vapour evaporate :D
my isetta is a 300cc bike

Comments

• Have you ever been to Las Vegas?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • team47b
    No.

Are you saying I maybe should get out more? :D
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    team 47 b...

this thread is completely pointless and in the wrong section of the forum. If you agree, I will either move it, or delete it
    left the forum March 2023
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    well it's not completely pointless if you want buy some new cables for your road bike :wink:

Sram run thinner ones - 1.1mm but most of the others state 1.2mm. In reality they are interchangeable - I've run 1.2mm on Sram setups before without problems. They may be a tad harder to thread though the tortuous internals of a doubletap shifter though... :roll:
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • team47b
    team 47 b...

this thread is completely pointless and in the wrong section of the forum. If you agree, I will either move it, or delete it

Please feel free to move this to the 'completely pointless' section of the forum or delete it depending on how offended you are :roll: