LBS who can true straight-pull spoked front wheel Nr Oxted?

barrybridges
barrybridges Posts: 420
edited April 2013 in Workshop
I'm having a bit of a nightmare and wonder if anyone can help.

I need to get my front wheel (Fulcrum racing 5) trued but I can't find anywhere who will do it, as it has straight-pull spokes. Most of the LBS near me are mass-market offerings who scratched their head when I brought the wheel in.

No broken spokes, just slightly wobbled owing to potholes.

I live near Oxted and can't find anywhere who can do it.

Bigg In Bikes in Biggin Hill said no.
Petra Cycles in Oxted said no.

Someone recommended Bigfoot Bikes in Bromley, but their phone line is dead and their website says they've moved (but doesn't say where to).

C&N cycles in Reigate said "no problem - there're just normal spikes aren't they" and sounded like they didn't know what they were doing, so I'd rather not take them there.

Cycle Sport in Caterham bloke said he'd only ever trued 3 wheels in his life and wasn't sure what a straight-pull spoke was.

Really struggling here. Surely it's not that unusual a request?

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,272
    If you are desperate and can drag yourself to Richmond this sunday afternoon, I can do it for you... I have a few people coming over.
    Drop me a PM if interested
    left the forum March 2023
  • Thanks Ugo - Richmond's a bit of a long drive for me I'm afraid, but I may take you up on your offer if I'm unable to find somewhere nearby.

Bigfoot Bikes are now gone, it seems. Really frustrating!
  • ugo.santalucia
    Thanks Ugo - Richmond's a bit of a long drive for me I'm afraid, but I may take you up on your offer if I'm unable to find somewhere nearby.

I know, I am getting more and more people asking to fix/true/rebuild wheels... it seems shops these days have abandoned any job that is more demanding than changing a bottom bracket...
  • onbike 1939
    onbike 1939 Posts: 708
    Thanks Ugo - Richmond's a bit of a long drive for me I'm afraid, but I may take you up on your offer if I'm unable to find somewhere nearby.

I know, I am getting more and more people asking to fix/true/rebuild wheels... it seems shops these days have abandoned any job that is more demanding than changing a bottom bracket...

More shops are farming their wheels out for work and it does seem something that they are unwilling/unable to do. I suppose that's better than accepting the job and then making a hash of it as was often the case.
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    Not sure whether it is local enough, but it may be worth giving a call to Corridori Cycles at Epsom.

http://www.corridori.co.uk/#!repairs/cuy0
  • ugo.santalucia

More shops are farming their wheels out for work and it does seem something that they are unwilling/unable to do. I suppose that's better than accepting the job and then making a hash of it as was often the case.

Yes, but that still leaves the LBS cut out of the market... if you can't repair a wheel, in which way you are different from Wiggle who sell wheels too? And more of them... and cheaper?
    A world class workshop is the difference between being an LBS and being a high street retailer...
  • rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361

I need to get my front wheel (Fulcrum racing 5) trued but I can't find anywhere who will do it, as it has straight-pull spokes. Most of the LBS near me are mass-market offerings who scratched their head when I brought the wheel in.

Someone recommended Bigfoot Bikes in Bromley, but their phone line is dead and their website says they've moved (but doesn't say where to).

C&N cycles in Reigate said "no problem - there're just normal spikes aren't they"
    and sounded like they didn't know what they were doing, so I'd rather not take them there.

Cycle Sport in Caterham bloke said he'd only ever trued 3 wheels in his life and wasn't sure what a straight-pull spoke was.

The fact that they are strait pull spokes and not J-bend is neither here nor there - they are exactly the same to true. I'd say this comment from the shop is entirely legit and should not be any cause for consern - take it there! I true many many wheels for all of my club mates and I have no idea why any shop COULDN'T true a wheel because of strait pull spokes. They may not have replacement spokes but thats another story...
  • ugo.santalucia
    RPD Steve wrote:

C&N cycles in Reigate said "no problem - there're just normal spikes aren't they"
    and sounded like they didn't know what they were doing, so I'd rather not take them there.

The fact that they are strait pull spokes and not J-bend is neither here nor there - they are exactly the same to true. I'd say this comment from the shop is entirely legit and should not be any cause for consern - take it there! I true many many wheels for all of my club mates and I have no idea why any shop COULDN'T true a wheel because of strait pull spokes. They may not have replacement spokes but thats another story...

Straight pull bladed is not a problem, as you say, same thing... straight pull and round spokes is a problem, as they are often seized and simply spin in the flange when you turn the nipple, with no way to hold them... typical case are the Easton EA 90, which can become untruable
  • Tried cycle ops at tonbridge?
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Still the spoke may not spin and there for it is trueable. I would try your 'LBS first. There are tools for gripping round spoke like the twist resist. I have never tried them but they exist.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Still the spoke may not spin and there for it is trueable. I would try your 'LBS first. There are tools for gripping round spoke like the twist resist. I have never tried them but they exist.

Racing 5 are bladed, so no problem...

Twist resist? Bah... I have tried pliers and pliers with a rubber tube for grip, no chance... maybe black spokes might do as they are more grippy then stainless silver ones... Easton are silver Sapim
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Tried cycle ops at tonbridge?
    If you dare!
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974

Racing 5 are bladed, so no problem...

Twist resist? Bah... I have tried pliers and pliers with a rubber tube for grip, no chance... maybe black spokes might do as they are more grippy then stainless silver ones... Easton are silver Sapim
    Dont think R5 are bladed. R3s are
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    R5s are bar the 2 round ones. Not very bladed though, a bit less than a CX-ray I believe.

Good point Ugo... I normally just mark with a permanent marker, wrap some tesa tape around the spoke and grip with the edge of a machine vice I have with a small V slot I filed into the jaws- most are held this way, but I may well never have had a stubborn one yet!
  • Hello - I thought you might like to hear what happened as the eventual outcome.

In the end, I took the wheel to the Giant shop in Bromley/Hayes, which is a 90 minute round trip.

The R5s are bladed (apart from 2 spokes near the valve) but I think the issue was that they have a propensity to spin around when you're trying to tighten them, unless you have 'the right tool', if that makes sense.

I didn't want to take to Cycle Ops as I'd heard terrible things about them on here.

I found Bromley Bike Company were able to do it, but they had a 5 days waiting time. I tried Evernden Bikes in Paddock Wood - which is now an Evans - and they had a 2 week wait.

Giant did it in about an hour and I got my wheel back within the day.

So, what did I learn:

Probably the saddest thing I learnt was that a proper LBS is an absolute dying breed. Most of the shops I phoned sold more skateboards and scooters than bikes, which tends to be the way these days.

Anyway, I'd thoroughly recommend Giant bikes of Bromley.
  • ugo.santalucia
    H

So, what did I learn:

Probably the saddest thing I learnt was that a proper LBS is an absolute dying breed. Most of the shops I phoned sold more skateboards and scooters than bikes, which tends to be the way these days.

Yeah, they are a bunch of fucxxrs, aren't they? They don't want to do anything... now I found out yesterday that even Sigma Sport in Kingston can't/don't want to true a wheel

http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com/
  • onbike 1939
    I know that the trade have to move with the times and do need to make a profit, but at the risk of sounding like an oldie living in the past I do long for the days when you could choose your frame from dozens hanging in the shop and then go on to choose your components and build your new bike.
    Things change, but I much prefer the time when all components, however small, could be found stored in some dark corner in a tatty cardboard box. Rack after rack of latex in bright colours doesn't quite cut it for me.
  • ugo.santalucia
    I know that the trade have to move with the times and do need to make a profit, but at the risk of sounding like an oldie living in the past I do long for the days when you could choose your frame from dozens hanging in the shop and then go on to choose your components and build your new bike.
    Things change, but I much prefer the time when all components, however small, could be found stored in some dark corner in a tatty cardboard box. Rack after rack of latex in bright colours doesn't quite cut it for me.

If you give me your address I can send you a Campagnolo seatpost box from the days and a Regina freewheel one... :wink:

I know what you mean... a lot of choice, but no choice really, as it is all crap
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Rack after rack of latex in bright colours doesn't quite cut it for me.
    Do you mean lycra ?
    Or is this a strange sort of bike shop ? :D

Agree with what you mean though, every bike shop should have an Aladdin's cave at the back full of dusty boxes, so you can repair rather than just scrap it and replace.
  • onbike 1939
    andy_wrx wrote:
    Rack after rack of latex in bright colours doesn't quite cut it for me.
    Do you mean lycra ?
    Or is this a strange sort of bike shop ? :D

I find that Latex is superior when it comes to showing off my manly figure in glorious detail. 8)