Show us your spring bikes

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,052
edited May 2013 in Commuting chat
Yes some of us well me at least have a spring bike

IMG_20130501_164959.jpg
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Spring bike? Is that like something with rear suspension?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Mine is the same as my winter bike, only cleaner and with the lights and guards removed.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,249
    Asprilla wrote:
    No, it's one of these:
    spring-bike-thumb1328837.jpg
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Perfect :lol:
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:
    No, it's one of these:
    spring-bike-thumb1328837.jpg

Congratulations, you raised my first laugh of the day. You win one internet.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • anthdci
    anthdci Posts: 543
    rubertoe wrote:
    Mine is the same as my winter bike, only cleaner and with the lights and guards removed.

funny that is just what mine is, but I have mudguards fitted for when it invariably rains.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Do you call it Zebedee?
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • itboffin
    Have just fitted conti gp 24s to the spring bike, feels so different to the ZX I will wait and see how they perform. I'm hoping they're good because by all accounts the gp are in between 4000s and normal conti but considerably cheaper.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    itboffin wrote:
    Have just fitted conti gp 24s to the spring bike, feels so different to the ZX I will wait and see how they perform. I'm hoping they're good because by all accounts the gp are in between 4000s and normal conti but considerably cheaper.

I like the Grand Prix's, good value and often overlooked. Very grippy.
  • willy b
    willy b Posts: 4,125
    itboffin wrote:

I like the Grand Prix's, good value and often overlooked. Very grippy.

Agree. I swapped from Ultremos which were quick, but GPs seem very good and cheap!
  • itboffin
    yeh at £12 from bike-discount.com what's not to like although i did fit the rear the wrong way around, fixed now :roll:
  • veronese68
    Several things wrong with that bike:
    Firstly. Where's the spring?
    Secondly. You could have added the picture in a new post so our posts don't look as odd as they do now.
    Thirdly. I could grumble about valves not lining up or too many spacers but I can't be arsed.
  • itboffin
    Its made of 531 steel so there's the spring - nah!

OCD pics? you want the "other" part of the forum
  • veronese68
    itboffin wrote:
    Its made of 531 steel so there's the spring - nah!

OCD pics? you want the "other" part of the forum
    531, fair 'nuff.
    OCD, I agree hence can't be arsed.
  • itboffin
    but 20.35lbs in that setup ...not good
  • veronese68
    Sounds like you're getting OCD, but not about the pictures. I think how it rides is more important for something like that.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717

Mine is the same as my winter bike, just as dirty and with the lights and guards exactly where they were before :D

Seriously, I've been promising to give my bike a proper clean* and replace the brake pads for about, oh, 2 months and I might get round to it this weekend. Won't be bothered to take the guards off though. Why bother? Might treat it to a new chain with dry lube.

* disc brakes and hub gears mean cleaning is really optional!
  • itboffin
    Nope this does NOT fly, a spring bike must be a totally different bike, just modding your summer or winter bike will not cut it.

So if you dont have a spring bike I suggest you pop out this weekend and start looking for one, if anyone ask just say itboffin said I need one! :roll:
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    8705772781_9bda1020af_c.jpg

Beer! Sun! if that's not a spring bike I don't what isn't!

Is lovely not needing jackets etc nor lights.
  • itboffin
    Good show Roger, beer & FGSS you win
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    Spring Bike meaning 'a ride along the River Thames without having to use the mud-bike.'

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16624533@N07/8706866155
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • thiscocks
    thiscocks Posts: 549
    itboffin wrote:
    Yes some of us well me at least have a spring bike

IMG_20130501_164959.jpg
    Campag shifters and shimano wheels?
  • itboffin
    Yep I prefer them over Shimano and SRAM, works perfectly too. In fact I have several mixed groupset bikes.
  • My spring bike comes in the form of a car :(

I'm going to be one hell of a grumpy elephant by the time I'm well enough to get back on a bike.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,151
    Here you go:

StevebikepicsSept2011015.jpg

You didn't say it had to be a road bike...headed over to Wales to do a bit of downhilling later this month now it's stopped raining all the time :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]