Rotor edge rubbing

Bnewsom
Bnewsom Posts: 21
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I just moved a set of Deore M575 disc brakes from a Stumpjumper to a Rockhopper and I am getting rubbing front and rear (rear most). I have realigned both sets several times following the normal technique of loosening the calliper nuts, squeezing the the lever and retightening whilst holding the lever down. But I still get rubbing. Then on close inspection of the rotors I noticed they were shiny on the outermost edges, suggesting they were rubbing on something, the calliper housing presumably. I confirmed this by using a marker pen to ink over the shiny patches and spun the wheel, sure enough the ink was immediately scuffed off.

Has anyone seen this before? Could I have refitted the callipers wrongly or do I need a different mounting bracket for the Stumpy frame? I could put washers between the frame and the bracket but this doesn't seem like a good idea as there wont then be a continuous flat contact along the length of the bracket and for some reason that seems important.

Advice please?

Comments

• gazeddy
    gazeddy Posts: 305
    what rotors?
    you may get away with just putting a small .5mm washer under each side of caliper to lift it
    I rode what you dug last summer
  • Bnewsom
    The rotors are Ashima but I used them with the Shimano calipers before fine.
  • gazeddy
    gazeddy Posts: 305
    ok try spacing the caliper off the mount with a pair of small washers 1/2 mm or even 1mm
    I rode what you dug last summer
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    have you bedded them in yet?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Bnewsom
    nicklouse wrote:

No I haven't but both the brakes and rotors were transferred from another bike where the worked perfectly together and did not rub.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    New brakes have to bed in, then they often stop rubbing.
  • nicklouse
    Bnewsom wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

No I haven't but both the brakes and rotors were transferred from another bike where the worked perfectly together and did not rub.
    So go bed them in.

they worked fine on one set up and now you have messed it all up and need to do it all again.

every time they are messed with they need bedding in.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Bnewsom
    Ok, bedded them in tonight, front now a lot better though not perfect and the rear still drags, looks like I'm gonna have to put some kind of shim in between the frame and the bracket.
  • nicklouse
    Bnewsom wrote:
    Ok, bedded them in tonight, front now a lot better though not perfect and the rear still drags, looks like I'm gonna have to put some kind of shim in between the frame and the bracket.
    adjust and bed in again.

no need for shims unless old IS mount and these are not.

what happens to the disc when you pull the lever?