Wilier

bez3211
bez3211 Posts: 2
edited May 2013 in Road beginners
Hello all, after some help please.
I have been riding a Carrera hybrid for a year and am now looking to get into the sport full time and want to purchase a road bike. I have been researching for months and been to several bike shops. I think I have made my mind up to go for a Wilier Montegrappa. There are 2 versions, the sora which runs Shimano and the Xenon which runs Campag. I don't want to get into the whole debate about which is best, I'm told that Campag is better at the top end, but Shimano is better at entry level. They have the same frame, the shimano is 18 speed and the campag is 20. I'm also told that traditionalists would say that a Wilier should run Campag, but will it in all reality make any difference to someone starting out? Which should I go for?
Thanks

Comments

• None.

Put Campagnolo on an Italian ........ it's plain wrong to do anything else.
  • Xenon may well be Campag's lowest groupset but it's actually a decent entry to the world of Campag, I used to have it on my Bianchi and I never had any issues with it, its a relaible cheap to run set up and its easy to upgrade if you ever decide to as its 20 speed already. Sora on a Wiler is just plain wrong with cables sprouting out everywhere. Best bet though is to try both out and see which you prefer.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    None.

Personal opinion. I have SRAM on my Italian frame. You fit what you're happy with.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    None.

That.

My first road bike was the Montegrappa's predecessor, the Escape, with a mixture of Xenon and Veloce. Really good bike and now doing sterling service (over 3k kms last season) in Ireland. Buy with confidence.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    philthy3 wrote:
    None.

Personal opinion. I have SRAM on my Italian frame.

That's like putting a Chevy engine in an Alfa Romeo :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I have no experience of Campag but would love to try it.

Is it 2013 Sora? That might sway me but otherwise I would go for the 20 speed Campag. You might find it cheaper/easier to get sale wheels for campag (if you go down the route) too ;-)
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    Wiliers are cool but really should be specced with Campagnolo in my opinion. As an aside, I am not sure how much you are paying for your Montegrappa but I would advise considering looking in the 2nd hand market. Wiliers arent as common as some brands and occasionally you can get a real bargain. Yesterday a mint condition Mortirolo with Centaur on it sold for £815 on Ebay. That for me is a good bargain and would be a huge step up from your current bike. Not so sure about the step from Carerra to Montegrappa particularly if its got entry groupset.

For example
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wilier-Carbon-Road-Bike-/111063439597?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item19dbe598ed
  • StillGoing
    Rolf F wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    None.

What, you mean has more torque and breaks down a lot less? :D
  • derosa
    derosa Posts: 2,819
    SRAM Force on my Wilier. I prefer stuff that works.

Big H

May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind always be at your back.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    derosa wrote:
    SRAM Force on my Wilier. I prefer stuff that works.

Probably worth changing it for Campag then ;)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    philthy3 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    None.

You're missing the point :P

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    philthy3 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

And is so heavy that the engine weight ahead of the front wheels lifts the back wheels off the road. All those side valves and other agricultural parts are heavy.
  • StillGoing
    lotus49 wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

And is so heavy that the engine weight ahead of the front wheels lifts the back wheels off the road. All those side valves and other agricultural parts are heavy.

If you're referring to SRAM what absolute rubbish. Brand loyalty is one thing, but ignorance is another.
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    Er, no. You completely missed the point of my post. I was talking about a Chevy engine in an Alfa.

I have no doubt that SRAM make excellent groupsets.
  • id stick microshift on it to really p off the 'purists'

shimano never lets you down
    campagnolo allows you to service individual parts so if a bit of your rear mech goes you can fix it rather than have to replace it as you would have to do if shimano ever let you down, which they dont
    sram are very light and some like the double tap system, cant see the point to it and as they are american id rather not - we all know how poor american engineering is - i think chevys were mentioned earlier, rest my case
    microshift are new tiawanese shimano clones but cheap and with some excellent looking grupposans - check the arsis and the white gruppos, look great

whatever you put on your wilier someone will complain, christ folk complain if you use the dustcaps for your innertubes during summer months

do what you like, its your cash and your bike

if it was me, id stick to shimano, they never let you down :wink:
  • StillGoing
    lotus49 wrote:
    Er, no. You completely missed the point of my post. I was talking about a Chevy engine in an Alfa.

I have no doubt that SRAM make excellent groupsets.

Fair enough. I wasn't sure as there are quite a few numpties out there who have very distorted views on SRAM with absolutely no evidence to support their view. The post above epitomizes that exactly, jeez. :roll: