Goddammit brakes y u no work!

unquestioned
unquestioned Posts: 172
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Ok, new bike, beeded brakes in, front brake was spongy, buy bleed kit, bleed brakes, no better, repeat 2 times.
Lever has much too much travel & you can't lock the front up no matter what. Cleaned & all the usual stuff. Appears to be a leak in the lever along the reservoir cover when bleeding, removed, cleaned, replaced, bled, seems to have stopped.

Considering taking it back to the shop as I'm not keen of face planting a tree this weekend.

Anyone have any advice for me to avoid dragging it all the way into town?

Should maybe add that they are Hayes Dyno sports.

Comments

• gazeddy
    gazeddy Posts: 305
    Have you cured the spongyness?
    Are your pads contaminated with anything?
    Is your rotor clean too?

If your pads are contaminated bin them dont waste your time tryig to clean them
    I rode what you dug last summer
  • gazeddy wrote:
    Have you cured the spongyness?
    Are your pads contaminated with anything?
    Is your rotor clean too?

If your pads are contaminated bin them dont waste your time trying to clean them

Still a bit spongy, travel is the worst though, pads were removed for the bleeding, used a block, cleaned the block & rotors anyway just to eliminate the possibility.

To be honest, brake bleeding has always been a weak point with me with cars, I usually get a mate to do it, reckon I should just drop it into a workshop to have it done by someone that has more of a clue?
    It's not that I don't know how, just that I don't seem to have the knack, can chuck an engine together though :S
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    So when you pull the lever what happen to he disc?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    So when you pull the lever what happen to he disc?

It grabs fine, just nowhere near enough power. Caliper is set up correctly.
    Lever travels about twice as far as the rear lever, as if there is still air or not enough fluid.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Did you try just centreing the caliper and advancing the pads?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Did you try just centreing the caliper and advancing the pads?

Yup, same result.

I'm thinking I should give it to someone who knows what they are doing to fix, brakes just aren't my thing.

Anyone up in Aberdeen or north of it able to help me out or know of a place?
  • gazeddy
    gazeddy Posts: 305
    yeh id take it in brakes arent something to be messing with if you dont have the "knack" i know what you mean i dont do gearboxes
    I rode what you dug last summer