New tattoo

tubbs_214
tubbs_214 Posts: 185
edited April 2013 in Road general
So I've just had a new tattoo on my calf muscle. I had it done 5 days ago and its scabbed over. I'm planning on heading out tomorrow for a hilly 40 miles. The reason behind the post is would you go out in bib tights or shall I use my shorts and put a layer of Vaseline over to protect it.

Cheers for any help.

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Tattoos shouldn't scab...
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • tubbs_214
    Well not a scab but it sheds the top layer of skin it's started doing that and all my tattoos have done this.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Grill wrote:
    Tattoos shouldn't scab...
    I have 13 tattoos and every one has scabbed over.
    OP personally I would vaseline it over and wear shorts which will stop any rubbing which will pull scabs off and ruin your tattoo.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I have 5 (1 has taken a lot of work) and they've never scabbed. Vitamin E ointment works a treat.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • I get tattooed on a weekly basis (my other half is a tattoo apprentice and im the practice skin :-s) I find that a bit of bepanthen works well as a barrier for sweat etc and as long as you don’t have a seam of your bib tights directly over the tattooed area it should be fine.
    Rose Carbon Pro SL 4400
    Cannondale Caad4
  • Davdandy
    Davdandy Posts: 571
    My tats haven't scabbed but the skin does go flaky.I don't think you need bepanthen now,i only used it in the first few days.But maybe a touch of Vaseline to protect it while out riding couldn't do it any harm as it easier to apply and not as thick on the skin as bepanthen is.But that's my take on it,i ain`t no doctor. :mrgreen:

And dont forget to post the pics after its healed.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • tubbs_214
    ha i will do, yeah ive got one on each calf the other on i didnt ride until it was fully healed but that was more down to a it band strain than anything, i usually just use aquaphor but ive got some cream that my tattooist gave me, heard vaseline was really bad as it clogs the pores and stops the tattoo from breathing, well suppose it wont matter if im gonna be washing it of when i get back

thanks everyone for the help so far
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    Is it a 'Rapha' tattoo?
  • What is it with Vaseline! Don't use it it will draw the ink out. Leave it be, wait until your are at the stage when normal moisturiser can be used then carry on as normal, essentially it's an open wound to start with then as it flakes or scabs if its been overworked or 1st stages of aftercare are questionable then it will uncomfortable to excessive anyway.
  • Davdandy
    I wouldn't use Vaseline for long periods agreed but as a protection while riding then to wash it off once home i don't see any problems.Only use a very small amount though.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    Never had an issue with cycling and tattoo's. Got my ribs done last year and rode a sportive the next day.

2nd the bepanthen use and your new tattoo really should not scab over
    Brian B.
  • Davdandy
    Bepanthen is the best cream to use i agree but only for the first few days.The OP has had his 5 days now so i don't see any more need to use it.
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1
  • deswahriff
    deswahriff Posts: 310
    ..slightly OT, but always fancied getting a nice "oily chain rash" tattoo on my calf just to panic folks at the swimming pool...!
  • mbthegreat
    mbthegreat Posts: 179
    I've got a nice scarification tattoo on my calf. It's the pattern a chain ring makes when it slams into the back of your calf. Very realistic looking, only took a second but bloody painful having it done though.
  • Davdandy
    How about this one to scare the kids in the swimming pool.

necktat_zpscf426552.jpg
    Cannondale CAAD 8 105
    Rockrider 8.1