cleat positioning & multi bike question

nunowoolmez
nunowoolmez Posts: 865
edited April 2013 in Road general
I recently had a bike fitting & my cleat position was tweaked from it's previous position I had set up for other bikes. The fitting was for my new bike build & the cleat position will therefore be different. So my query is really this. Will the new cleat position make much difference when riding the other bikes? I haven't done any test runs yet. Or will it be a case of having a pair of shoes for one bike & another for the new build? My previous cleat position was set up from a previous bike fitting for another build.

Any thoughts appreciated folks.

Nuno

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Depends if they have different q-factors.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • themekon
    themekon Posts: 197
    I genuinely don't think it will make that much difference. As long as all your bikes are set up about the same. Seat height,saddle to bar distance.
    I really do think folk worry too much about things like this.
  • dnwhite88
    dnwhite88 Posts: 285
    themekon wrote:
    I genuinely don't think it will make that much difference. As long as all your bikes are set up about the same. Seat height,saddle to bar distance.
    I really do think folk worry too much about things like this.
    +1
    I had a professional bike fit on the summer bike and he adjusted my cleats as well as the bike. I was given a sheet of measurements from my newly set up bike so I could set up the winter bike to be as close as possible. I've put 1000+ miles on the winter bike since and no problems
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • jouxplan
    jouxplan Posts: 147
    You don't need different shoes / cleat positions for each bike. If you are happy with your new cleat position on your new bike, then that cleat position applies to all your other bikes, even if they are set up differently (which ideally they won't be).

If you don't get on with your new cleat position, go back to your old cleat position, and apply that to all bikes including your new bike. Cleat position is mostly independent of bike set up - it is much more about where YOU need YOUR foot to connect to a pedal.
    Trek Project One Series 6 Madone 2010
    Trek Madone 5.9 2006
    Trek Madone 5.2 2004
    Cougar Custom 1995
    Viscount Aerospace 1982
    Some mountain bikes gathering dust
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    The back/forward positioning can make a massive difference. I had terrible calf cramp problems on an allegedly perfect set up. I moved my cleats back about 5mm in the shoes and the long-term problem was solved never to return.
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I had my cleats tweaked when I had my bike fit. They weren't moved much but I have found the new position causes much less damage to my achilles tendons, which I wrecked this time last year and have never quite recovered.

I feel the tendons may now fully recover despite pushing harder than I ever have.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro