Octalink bottom bracket question.

ricktabor1
ricktabor1 Posts: 272
edited April 2013 in Workshop
I recently bought an Octalink bottom bracket for my road bike. The chainset is an ultegra fr-6505. Bottom bracket was 68 x 118.5.

I bought a bb from crc ES25 (below) not realising that Octalink bb's can have with two different size splines
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=34653

Anyway, I was wondering if I can use a 105 octalink with it (link below):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/shimano-octal ... 1192487273

I want to avoid paying 35 quid for the ultegra one if possible.
Does anyone know of any cheaper alternatives if the 105 one isn't suitable?

Thanks
Got to get up to get down

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you can use any octalink BB as long as the axle is the correct length. the thread is the correct one, the splines are correct and it is for the correct shell width.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ricktabor1
    ricktabor1 Posts: 272
    Ok thanks.
    I'm not sure how to find out if the splines are correct though. That's my question really, will the 105 bb have the correct splines? I looked at the tech docs and couldn't see any info on spline sizes (other than the axle width obviously).
    Got to get up to get down
  • nicklouse
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • bill57
    bill57 Posts: 454
    ES-25 was Shimano's second version of Octalink, with longer splines. It won't fit either 105 or Ultegra. The earlier (V1) Octalink had shorter splines, and BB-5500 (105) and BB-6500 (Ultegra) are dimensionally identical. 6500 is better finished with a polished spindle, but 5500 will do the same job.
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    Just for clarity, the difference is that one, the longer splined one, is for mountain bike chainsets and the other is for road bikes.
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks
  • nicklouse
    Just for clarity, the difference is that one, the longer splined one, is for mountain bike chainsets and the other is for road bikes.
    Incorrect.

both can be found on either road or MTB cranksets.
  • mister p
    mister p Posts: 405
    Dura Ace 7700, Ultegra 6500 and 105 5500 series chainsets all use the same spline patterned bottom bracket axle. So yes, you can use a BB-5500 105 bottom bracket with a 6500 series Ultegra chainset. The 105 was the cheapest compatible model Shimano made.