How far is your commute ?

stumpym4
stumpym4 Posts: 216
edited June 2013 in Commuting general
Looking at riding maybe twice a week to work, its just under 20 miles each way and a mix of city and quiet-ish country roads., I'm looking into this as i need to get some decent miles in my legs for a few big rides later in the year :) ...
Ill be using my road bike with some guards fitted
So how fars your commute ?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
On One 853 single speed
Pinnacle Arkose 2 - cross bike
Pinnacle Ramin 3 plus - Bike packing bike
Cube attain GTC Pro road bike - more relaxed road bike
Giant scr1 road bike

Comments

• Azhar
    Azhar Posts: 247
    16.5 miles each way. mix of city and country side roads, similar to what you ride. once you've done it a few times its amazing then how quick you can recover (as your fitness improves) and do it all again the same day. major money saved on petrol :D
  • anthdci
    anthdci Posts: 543
    13 miles each way, 600ft climb on a morning, 480ft climb on afternoon. It takes me anything from 40mins upto 55mins depending on the wind. That is on a road bike and 100% on roads.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Not far at all - it starts as soon as I get out of the house! :lol:

The route is 6.5 miles at shortest but usually I do 20 on the way in and 10 on the way home - increasing during the summer. 40 a day in all weathers is a bit of a psychological strain but it helps if it is a nice route and not too hilly. Mine is hilly.......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    11 miles each way - only 500' of climbing - that's the shortest and flatest route ..
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Shortest round trip distance is 15.5 miles though this is usually 20 miles.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    32 mile round trip, but it has been as high as 43 miles.

43 miles, 5 days a week is a recipe for sofa bound weekends.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    30 Mile RT for me,

Although i plan to up this to 40 shortly with an extra 10 miles on the way home
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • A shade under eight miles each way. So easy enough to do without thinking about it.

But (to echo comments above) the good thing is that can easily be added to and sometimes gets doubled. I'm lucky in that it's rural and I can get easily distracted by a pub stop or an elongated ride back through the woods.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • littleprawn
    littleprawn Posts: 135
    14 miles ish each way. Climbing is about 250 - 500 feet of climb each way depending on route which I take.
    Cannondale CAADX 5 105
    Trek T10
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Used to do just under 20 miles each way every day into brum, small world 8) packed the commuting in now though, it was wearing me down (and costing a fortune in bits).

Planning on doing two or three days a week over the summer again though. 20 miles is a nice distance, wouldn't really want to do any further though, and the winter was a killer.

Where you riding from/to?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • stumpym4
    stumpym4 Posts: 216
    prawny wrote:
    Used to do just under 20 miles each way every day into brum, small world 8) packed the commuting in now though, it was wearing me down (and costing a fortune in bits).

Planning on doing two or three days a week over the summer again though. 20 miles is a nice distance, wouldn't really want to do any further though, and the winter was a killer.

Where you riding from/to?

Hi, when i do commute , its from kings heath ( south brum) to Coventry .... Warwick uni to be exact ;)
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    On One 853 single speed
    Pinnacle Arkose 2 - cross bike
    Pinnacle Ramin 3 plus - Bike packing bike
    Cube attain GTC Pro road bike - more relaxed road bike
    Giant scr1 road bike
  • bungalballs
    bungalballs Posts: 193
    Shortest route I have found is 23 miles each way using quiet roads. Would rather do a couple of extra miles than use busy bits so normally around 24-25 miles each way.

Just to put this in context, this is massive for me as only got my road bike last June and my longest total ride to date is about 60miles, so started last year doing this once a week. Also wasn't confident to carry on over winter, so about to start again and do at least once a week, hopefully twice to three times this summer. When I did it last year I could see my fitness go far further than it has ever been before, particularly noticeable on the mountain bike with the usual crowd where I went from the back of the group to the front.

It's brilliant - feel so much better for doing it, I'm the only one in the office not drinking coffee on the days I do it!
  • stu-bim
    stu-bim Posts: 384
    14.5 RT straight there and back. Been doing 9 in and 13 home, might need better GPS, shouldn't be getting lost everyday. Usually 4 of 5 days.
    Raleigh RX 2.0
    Diamondback Outlook
    Planet X Pro Carbon
  • My fastest route is a paltry 4.5 miles e/w Horbury to Wakefield, so it's little more than an urban sprint. That makes me feel justified using a knobbly-encumbered Rockhopper because it adds that bit extra effort. On the other hand, my current bike building project, whenever I get round to finishing it, is going to be a lot quicker. I've also found a couple of minor detours that add a little more distance and some more interest as they are on some metaled tracks and a small bit of genuine off-road. The route is takes me through a dip so I get a reasonable climb at the end, in either direction, so it lets me work up a sweat.

I also go to Dewsbury once a week which is about 7 miles and has a mile-long hill to reach the hospital I work at. I've not ventured that way on my bike so far, partly because I'm lazy, but mainly because I don't have the showering paraphenalia at the other end as I do in Wakefield. Thinking about giving it a go when I'm there this Friday, mind.

I'm getting back into riding my bike to work because we just adopted a little boy in January which means I can't carry on with my previous gym regime. Now, if I can only find some time to fit in some leisure riding....
  • vs4b
    vs4b Posts: 257
    50mile round trip. Currently doing it twice a week, aiming for three. Its dead flat and mainly traffic free - love it, but i am always very tired and lacking sleep - very tough if i do it on consecutive days which i tend to avoid.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    My commute fars very well thankyou, how does yours far?

Farwell from me
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Just under 20 miles round trip shortest most direct distance.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • 1.5 miles door to door, two sets of lights 2 mini roundabouts a three corners!
    12 year old claud butler MTB
    2012 giant defy 0 (black is slimming you know!)
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    1.5 miles door to door, two sets of lights 2 mini roundabouts a three corners!

That's not a commute, that is a walk.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    rubertoe wrote:
    1.5 miles door to door, two sets of lights 2 mini roundabouts a three corners!

That's not a commute, that is a walk.

He is probably at work before I even get the bike out of the shed ande ready to move off! :lol:
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • IanREmery
    IanREmery Posts: 148
    17 miles each way. 200 odd feet of climbing on the way in (so basically downhill), just under 700 feet climbing on way home.

3 miles of the 17 is on a main road (which is dead when I go along it just before 7am, usually clocking about 23mph), the rest is on the Taff Trail. Completely off the roads, fully tarmac, in the countryside where the only problems are usually rabbits and squirrels. Goes from Pontypridd all the way into Cardiff. Absolute bliss!

Used to feel like a chore on my hybrid (particularly the ride home), now it's a piece of cake on my roadbike. Great way to start and finish the working day :-)
  • 1.5 miles door to door, two sets of lights 2 mini roundabouts a three corners!

Mine's a massive 2.5 miles each way! I HATE walking.
  • I would add that I try to do a 6 mile route home when time allows!
  • shyretirer
    shyretirer Posts: 26
    About 12 miles. Through Slough, along the Jubilee River to Eton Dorney, then over the Thames, down some country roads and a village, then up hill along a fairly main road, and then to work.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    My short and flat direct route is about 6.5miles.

But I like to take the long way and usually get out for a 10 miler at lunch time as well, which usually involves 700-800ft of climbing.

I used to just ride to work and back, now I go out looking for bigger and bigger hills...
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    28-35miles round trip, depending which way I go, 2500-2900ft of climbing, no way to avoid that
  • It's 9 miles each way with 200ft of climbing for me if I take the direct route.

I try to vary my trip in to add a couple of extra miles if the weather's nice.
  • Shorter the better, then if you need to be home 5 minutes later you are. Or if you have time 10 miles to see the folks for a coffee is fine. I also don't have weather issues as 6 minutes in the rain or snow is not a problem!
  • jacknorell
    jacknorell Posts: 62
    Only about 7 miles. Good stop & go interval training in London traffic though!
  • option_click
    option_click Posts: 169
    50 mile round trip for me.

Varies with the demands of work, but anything from one to three days a week.
    Any more than that and you'd find me a hobbling, snoozing wreck of a man come Fridays.