Stiff Powerlink/powerlock?

blablablacksheep
blablablacksheep Posts: 1,377
edited April 2013 in Road beginners
Im trying to replace my Canyon SLX KMC SL 10 speed chain...

Ive got a replacement.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/mr-ride-2013- ... 1e76465bb1

Now im having issues removing the "link" from the bike to get the chain off.

Anyone who knows about the canyon bikes and the KMC chains, are they powerlock ones or normal missing link style ones??

Need some help

(the chain ive bought to replace it, has a missing link so i was assuming the canyon had one too..)
London2Brighton Challange 100k!
http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners

Comments

• schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    If it's a KMC chain, it'll be a standard missing link. Try pressing the plates of the links towards each other before you try to slide the link open. Failing that a pair of needle nose pliers. Failing that the KMC or Park Tool tool that has been made for the job.
  • JimboM
    JimboM Posts: 380
    I didn't think there ws any difference between the missing links and powerlocks?

I know when I tried to split the chain on my Canyon Nerve (MTB) it was bloody stiff and had to buy a pair of the pliers designed for this purpose, it's gradually loosened up since but I have had the chain on/off about 50 times since then !

The pliers were only a few quid but are probably the most used item in my toolbox so well worth the layout
    Cannondale Synapse 105
    Giant FCR3
    GT Avalanche 3.0
    Canyon Nerve AM 6.0
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    JimboM wrote:
    I didn't think there ws any difference between the missing links and powerlocks?
    there are reusable missing links and there are one time use missing links. and there are powerlinks (reusable) and powerlocks (one time use).
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Im trying to replace my Canyon SLX KMC SL 10 speed chain...

Ive got a replacement.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/mr-ride-2013- ... 1e76465bb1

Now im having issues removing the "link" from the bike to get the chain off.

Anyone who knows about the canyon bikes and the KMC chains, are they powerlock ones or normal missing link style ones??

Need some help

(the chain ive bought to replace it, has a missing link so i was assuming the canyon had one too..)

new chain. so get the cutters on the old one. does it matter what conector it has?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I was of the impression that 10 speed chains had powerLOCKS and are therefore 1 time use only. (8 and 9 are powerlinks)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    powerlocks are SRAM and are not reusable. Powerlinks are SRAM and are reusable.

KMC have missing links which are available in usable and unusable types. The 11 speed ones are not reusable and there are some non-reusable 10 speed ones, but the rest are all reusable. Remember that the link will wear with the chain so 're-usable' should only apply to one chain. i.e. new chain = new quick link!