Buckingham palace this morning.

spursn17
spursn17 Posts: 284
edited April 2013 in Commuting chat
Apparently my bike is now a WMD.

Cycling past the palace about half eleven this morning (middle lane, surrounded by coaches and taxi's) I got told to walk my bike across to Birdcage Walk as it could contain a bomb. I pointed out that every vehicle and tourist outside the palace could have a bomb on them.

Did this happen to anyone else?

Comments

• tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    When did you last clean it?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,283
    Anything going on there that made this a bit less random? 1000's of bikes go past Buckingham palace every day :?
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • pangolin wrote:
    Anything going on there that made this a bit less random? 1000's of bikes go past Buckingham palace every day :?

There's a state visit happening in Windsor tomorrow which is probably related to this
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,487
    spursn17 wrote:

Cycling past the palace about half eleven this morning (middle lane, surrounded by coaches and taxi's) I got told to walk my bike across to Birdcage Walk as it could contain a bomb. I pointed out that every vehicle and tourist outside the palace could have a bomb on them.

More disturbingly, what kind of mind thinks that walking a bike (with a suspected bomb) rather than riding it would reduce it's efficacy as an explosive device?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    rjsterry wrote:
    spursn17 wrote:

More disturbingly, what kind of mind thinks that walking a bike (with a suspected bomb) rather than riding it would reduce it's efficacy as an explosive device?
    Because you can walk it *across* the road, away from the palace. If you're riding, you're supposed to go *along* the road (unless you're on a scruffy fixie with 6" wide handlebars and a messenger bag).
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • spursn17 wrote:

Not to me, but then I was riding the Thorn Sterling with Marathon XC tyres, and that is pretty bomb proof

oh, yes and I'm over 200 miles away from the Palace :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    spursn17 wrote:
    Maybe him? :lol:

gun.jpg
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    daviesee wrote:
    spursn17 wrote:
    Maybe him? :lol:

gun.jpg

He should be stopped (shot?) just for his choice of kit...
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,487
    edited April 2013
    TGOTB wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    spursn17 wrote:

Because you can walk it *across* the road, away from the palace. If you're riding, you're supposed to go *along* the road (unless you're on a scruffy fixie with 6" wide handlebars and a messenger bag).
    Ah, didn't twig that bit, although what stops you walking along the pavement parallel to your original route? Maybe that extra 4 feet is what makes the difference.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,283
    Surely you can just say no to that kind of request. Fair enough for going along with it, but they have no actual right to order you off a public road without reasonable suspicion do they? And if they had reasonable suspicion that you had a bomb then they would hopefully do a bit more than just make you use a different route.

*goes off to do laps of Buckingham Palace for lunch hour*
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • spursn17
    Surely you can just say no to that kind of request. Fair enough for going along with it, but they have no actual right to order you off a public road without reasonable suspicion do they? And if they had reasonable suspicion that you had a bomb then they would hopefully do a bit more than just make you use a different route.

I did ride on the road after having a roadside 'discussion' with the officer, a lot of cyclists got off and walked though.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    so the coaches full of foreigners and 1000's of kilos of potential explosives are ok...but the cyclist with maybe a backpack is not?!??!

Did they also ask tourist pedestrians with a bag to f**k off too??

Just amazing.

Someone should do something ;)
  • spursn17
    so the coaches full of foreigners and 1000's of kilos of potential explosives are ok...but the cyclist with maybe a backpack is not?!??!

Just amazing.

This was the argument that I put to the officer, the choice I gave him was let me ride on the road or put me in a van to the nick.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    spursn17 wrote:

Just amazing.

This was the argument that I put to the officer, the choice I gave him was let me ride on the road or put me in a van to the nick.

Did you call him a pleb?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • spursn17
    I think I'm more of a pleb than most people :D