Is there anything better than a Rockrider 8.1?

jdskinner82
jdskinner82 Posts: 9
edited May 2013 in MTB beginners
Hi Guys,

Been looking at a HT for the last few months. Lots of searching and forum trawling has got me a conclusions that for the £500 ish price point there is no better bike than the Rockrider 8.1. am I right??????

Pauls cycles have some nice brands at a decent discount but do any of them really stack up to the RR?

I want to ride mainly through trials with some down hill stuff now and again

I'm 5'8", weigh 11 and half stone and have a 31 inch inside leg so going for a medium 18"

I appreciate all your help!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Probably not at the price, but if you link to some you might get better advice. Halfords also have some nice stuff at that sort of price.
    And depends what you mean by down hill. If you mean riding down hills it will be fine. If you mean DH it will break, and so will you, probably.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks

With regards to down hill, I mean I want to do trails that are down hill, not races, or anything mega fast but still gravity assisted. Maybe only once a month

here some links of some of the bikes I've been considering, my fav is the RR 8.1 at the mo

Rider 8.1
    Voodoo Hoodoo
    GT Avalanche 2.0.2013
    GT Karakoram 3.0 (HYDRAULIC)
    GT ZASKAR SPORT

Thanks and any advice and comments greatly appreciated
  • cooldad
    The Voodoo might be more suited to your DH aspirations, and probably the best value with the Rockrider, but I'd be really tempted by the Zaskar.
    The other two aren't worth it.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Thanks a lot,

As I'm a complete n00b could you give your reasons for why you think the 3 bikes you said are decent (Voodoo, RR and Zaskar)

Just trying to get an idea. I really liked the Voodoo, but its heavier so wasn't sure if the 1KG ish made that much difference?

If you had £600 to spend which one would you go for?

Thanks again, really appreciate your comments
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    If you're using gravity, 1 kg is fine, plus that 1kg goes mostly into strength so perhaps for your purposes that's a good thing.
  • cooldad
    All have decent damped forks and hydraulic brakes. My money - probably the GT as I've always wanted one, and that's as cheap as you'll get a decent one new - the other two GT's you linked to are a bit rubbish.
    The Voodoo is a very good deal.
    I'd be happy to ride any of the three but prefer the adjustability of air forks.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    If your already thinking about 'gravity' riding once a month I'd look for something a bit more suited to that i.e more travel and slacker

Commencal used to do a interesting bike called a Ramones 1 for that kinda price. Dunno if you can still get hold of them though.

...or a used On-One 456?
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • cooldad
    I think you guys are putting too much emphasis on the 'gravity' thing.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    I think you guys are putting too much emphasis on the 'gravity' thing.

You might be right, i'm local to sherwood pines (10 minute ride to get to red route) and will be riding the routes around there 95% of the time, now and again i'll go to somewhere like revolution or cannock chase
  • MrM
    MrM Posts: 60
    If you do decide on the rockrider 8.1 perhaps budget for different tyres. The tyres supplied with the bike are rubbish when its wet. I ride mine in places that break bikes, its survived so far :shock:
  • cooldad
    Most OE tyres are rubbish.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Thanks guys, think I'm swaying towards the Voodoo

Has decent tyres on, no SPD's over ther RR
    Handlebar lockout over the Zaskar
    Also 120mm travel on the fork where as the other 2 have 100mm

Does anyone think otherwise?
    Halfords also has a £40 web offer until tomorrow so will be £460, so £90 & £140 cheaper than the other 2
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I would've said the RR just because of the better components but if you're saying you can get the VooDoo for £90 less I think you might be right; Longer travel & air fork (remote lock-out isn't really that useful if you ask me and def not a deal maker/breaker) but looks like better tyres and you get 180mm brake rotors

...talking of which - I'd be tempted to spend the £90 saved on a set of new Shimano Deore brakes (£80) and sell the Tektro's to recoup some funds (for a shorter stem :wink: )

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=67246
    67246.jpg
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Thanks, for the info I'll leave extras just at the moment.

I'll get the bike paid for first and then start adding a few bits to it. I see this as my warm up bike. Use it for a year and then if I'm still as eager get a better bike, perhaps a full suss.

Thanks again
  • xmadxmoex
    xmadxmoex Posts: 135
    Ive not long got the RR after some debating, im using it partly for commuting and partly for riding blue/red trails, Im pretty happy with it so far but do agree with the comment of rubbish tyres!
  • MrM
    MrM Posts: 60
    xmadxmoex wrote:
    do agree with the comment of rubbish tyres!

Only takes a bit of rain and the bike becomes a deathrider. I found out how bad the tyres was when the weather suddenly changed when I was going down a 25% country lane in the dark. :shock: Tyres do seem fine when its dry.

Good choice of bike :)
  • Update. Ordered the Hoodoo online on Monday afternoon at 3.30pm got delivered Tuesday lunch to Halfords and I picked it up 6pm Tuesday night after work. Got it home and went straight out for a 5 mile ride.

Really liked the ride, bike wasn't too heavy and I went on a mixture of tarmac and trails so the handlebar lockout was much more useful than I thought it would be, especially when going up hilly tarmac roads.

Thanks for all your help and I'm looking forward to a good ride around Sherwood Pines this weekend
  • hi all.
    Just want some help to choose got it to rockrider 8.1 £549

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-81 ... 68918.html
    or the VooDoo Hoodoo Mountain bike £499 plus quidco 5% cashback
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499
    Which 1 should i go for. I am a novice but wanting the best for my cash. Using it for general trails and tracks plus mid week road use.
    Pleas egive me reason for and against
    cheers graham
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    These are both the best bikes for this cash. Simply go with what fits best.
  • hi all.
    Just want some help to choose got it to rockrider 8.1 £549

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-81 ... 68918.html
    or the VooDoo Hoodoo Mountain bike £499 plus quidco 5% cashback
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499
    Which 1 should i go for. I am a novice but wanting the best for my cash. Using it for general trails and tracks plus mid week road use.
    Pleas egive me reason for and against
    cheers graham

I Went with the Hoodoo, it already had decent tyres whereas the RR 8.1 would need those adding. It was less expensive plus got Quidco Cash-back too. I'm really happy with it. The RR 8.1 is apparently also a really good bike but like I said I plumped for the Hoodoo
  • i also went for the hoodoo, lovely ride comfy. Had my first ride today after 12miles chain slipped a few times in top gears. This was ok until i thought the chain had come off. After a closer look one link had split open on one side. The front de railer had also jammed on the large front drive train.
    Had to get the BOSS to pick me up.
    Took the bike to the halfords. The guy was very helpful, commented on not seen this before.They have replaced the chain and reset the derailer.
    Any ideas what happened?
    Also they replaced the chain with a YBN with look like a 'S' on it. Is this a good replacement from the original shimano chain.
    Fingers crossed on the next ride, dont think my boss the wife wants to pick me up again.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Just unlucky. YBN are good chains.
  • AlexJo
    AlexJo Posts: 10
    I agree go with what fits best, it may seem like a lot of money, but ultimately it's an investment that's worth it in the long run!
  • SuperOwl86
    SuperOwl86 Posts: 23
    Glad I have seen this thread which is bit of an eye opener because everywhere I have looked people recommend the RR8.1.

My main uses would be Canal tow paths and trails never be on road due to my poor vision.

in last couple of days was struggling between the following

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499 £589 with current offer of £60 off

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165499 £459 with £40 off

But would I be right in thinking i could get the above bikes cheaper with the British cycling discount?

If so it makes the voodoo hoodoo tempting option at £415.

Just wondering if you guys could offer any advice in regards to the three?
  • I would of gone for the RR8.1, but with the cycling discount less traveling plus all good reviews I went for the hoodoo The speck is slightly better on the 8.1. But have a go and try them both.
    Just a warning when I bought my hoodoo last week. There was only 9 left in stock from the main wharehouse. Not sure if more will be available.
    The new 2013 model must be getting ready to be launched. The halfords I went to commented it was now listed on the computer but not available at the moment. FYI price at £450. So £50 cheaper but not sure on the spec.
    If you are buying a bike from halfords.
    You can get 3% cashback via Quidco.
    Let us all know on what you go for.
  • SuperOwl86
    SuperOwl86 Posts: 23
    I went for the Hoodoo from Halfords for £414. with £13 TCB tracked and also £10 quidco for using my registered card. maybe one will get declined not to worry was a good deal without the cashback.

Only had chance to have one ride and that was after buying to get home. Best bike i have ever riden felt very smooth unlike the £80 job i bought from Asda 8 years ago, the only thing i am unsure about is if the bike is a little to big for me.

When I sit on the seat for me to be able to touch the floor I have to be on tip toes. but when cycling my leg is almost straight on the pedals so not sure if that is right or not.
  • SuperOwl86 wrote:
    I went for the Hoodoo from Halfords for £414. with £13 TCB tracked and also £10 quidco for using my registered card. maybe one will get declined not to worry was a good deal without the cashback.

Only had chance to have one ride and that was after buying to get home. Best bike i have ever riden felt very smooth unlike the £80 job i bought from Asda 8 years ago, the only thing i am unsure about is if the bike is a little to big for me.

When I sit on the seat for me to be able to touch the floor I have to be on tip toes. but when cycling my leg is almost straight on the pedals so not sure if that is right or not.

This maybe useful to you.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/articl ... ght-14608/