Which of these 3 tyres? Stress!!

neil_uk
neil_uk Posts: 289
edited April 2013 in MTB buying advice
I don't know why but I always find choosing a new tyre a really stressful experience.... maybe because it isn't a cheap investment, and that they play a big part in making or breaking your ride!

I'm stuck between three tubeless tyres for my bontrager race-lite tubeless ready rims on my trek full susser.

1. nobby nics
2. kenda nevegals
3. vedestein Black Panther Xtreme

I usually ride with 30psi up front and 35psi back. I ride mixed terrain (never deep gloop though), typically Dalby red, Hamsterley, and the lakes.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Hey I'm getting a tight chest here - no joke! lol

I'm ditching my Maxxis ignitors- I've been a big fan of them for ages, until Friday when I looked at the bike to find both the front and rear tyres have sprouted huge blebs at some point over the last fortnight!?!?! weird huh?

Anyway thanks guys
Neil

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    How did you melt them?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    I use a Nobby Nic on the front, Racing Ralph on the back, in all conditions. Doesn't mean there aren't better tyres out there, I'm just happy with them and can't be bothered changing!
  • neil_uk
    cooldad wrote:
    How did you melt them?

I really don't know! I've had them fitted quite a while, and rode allsorts. I last went out on them two weeks ago rode 16 miles, bought a pork pie, nommed the pie, rode 16 miles home, bike was fine, put it away, then discovered these on Friday! Maybe I should stay off the pies!! lol
  • neil_uk
    Greer_ wrote:
    I use a Nobby Nic on the front, Racing Ralph on the back, in all conditions. Doesn't mean there aren't better tyres out there, I'm just happy with them and can't be bothered changing!

Hi, are you running the nobby nic tubeless?
    cheers
    neil
  • neil_uk
    cyd190468 wrote:
    Did you have sealant in your Ignitors?

Yeah, I am using stan's.

I've just deflated one of the tyres and the sealant has sealed the bleb. so the tyre is flat, but the bleb has stayed lol.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    neil_uk wrote:
    Greer_ wrote:

Hi, are you running the nobby nic tubeless?
    cheers
    neil

Yep, both of them.
  • neil_uk
    Cheers - I think I'll go for the nobby nics!
  • neil_uk
    cyd190468 wrote:
    Don't Maxxis say you shouldn't put sealant in Lust tyres as it is unnecessary and can react with the rubber?

Hmm..... I didn't realise that?!?!?!
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I *think* Stans with standard Maxis tyres is fine.

I've been running standard (non LUST) Maxis tyre with sealant for years now and not had any bubbling. While a friend of mine had LUST tyre which bubbled.

For what its worth I love my Ignitors, for me they work great.
  • neil_uk
    jairaj wrote:
    I *think* Stans with standard Maxis tyres is fine.

I've been running standard (non LUST) Maxis tyre with sealant for years now and not had any bubbling. While a friend of mine had LUST tyre which bubbled.

For what its worth I love my Ignitors, for me they work great.

I agree - I've used a few pairs of these, and apart from 'in deep mud', these pretty much do everything extremely well!