Chain slap on a single speed?

FatMikeUK
FatMikeUK Posts: 51
edited April 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Just recently invested in my first ever dirt jump bike which also happens to be my first ever single speed. I've found that the chain is loose enough to move about and rattle on the bottom of the chain stay. I had been under the impression that a single speed when tensioned properly shouldn't be able to rattle. I've tried putting a bit more tension in the chain but can't seem to get enough manually. So to the actual question: Is this something that just happens and I should just stick a chain stay protector on, or is getting a chain tug going to definitely eliminate the problem? I'm pretty sure a chain tug is the way to go, but as I already mentioned I'm a single speed n00b so don't want to spend money on useless gear. Cheers guys!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    should be about 1/2" of movement in one run of chain.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • FatMikeUK
    nicklouse wrote:
    should be about 1/2" of movement in one run of chain.

By movement do you mean vertically (ie perpendicular to the direction of the chain)? If that's the case then it's probably as it should be since the chain does run pretty close to the stay.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yep perpendicular. any less and you risk over loading the bearings.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • FatMikeUK
    nicklouse wrote:
    yep perpendicular. any less and you risk over loading the bearings.

That's great thanks. I did wonder that, hence I asked here. Fair enough, sounds like the best bet is to wrap an old tube around the stay and carry on. Thanks again!