Rigid 29er SS

kevinscott
kevinscott Posts: 49
edited April 2013 in MTB beginners
Ok, Hi guys. This may be a completely noobish kinda idea. Not having owned a mountain bike in a few years and not seen a muddy trail in about 10 years.

However, looking at the BikeRadars Mountain Bikes for under £500 I noticed the Vitus Vee 29...

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... 9-13-46662

So, in all honestly before I spend 300 quid on a bike would this bike actually be useful as a Off Roader as well as a general dogs body bike. I love how the thing looks and its simpleness has got be a bit smitten.

The review states changing the front chainring would require changing. Would that be worth it? And obvious question..is it difficult?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Chainrings are easy to change. But the thought of taking a fully rigid bike with no gears off road is not for me. Unless the trails are flat and the terrain easy, I would be looking elsewhere.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I have a mate who rides (and races) a rigid 29er SS and he doesn't even have a beard or wear sandals.
    He also generally stays ahead of me riding a full sus geared bike, but that might say more about my riding skills that the suitability of his bike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have a lot of friends who ride SS 29ers (rigid and HT), in fact on some group rides my geared 26er is in a minority in both respects, can't say they struggle when leaving me looking fat old and unfit (I am not - I am not fat!), except uphills - god I love uphills!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kevinscott
    kevinscott Posts: 49
    edited April 2013
    Thanks for the replies, however I am still deciding on what bike to get...
    There is still this Vitus Vee 29 £292 from Chain Reaction Cycles
    or the Kona Splice 29er £349 from Chain Reaction Cycles.
    I love the simplicity of the Vitus however the Kona would probably be a better "mountain bike".

Which do I follow? My head or my heart?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=81000

or

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=95400
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Who knows. Post some links.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • IT66T
    IT66T Posts: 377
    You should try and get a test ride on both of them before deciding as you'll find one suits your style of riding better than the other ..
    You must treat others with respect in order to be respected ..
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604
  • Would be nice to get a chance to give each a test, however both are available mail order from Chain Reaction Cycles. No where else sells the Vitus at least
  • IT66T
    IT66T Posts: 377
    Dam , that puts a spanner in the works :cry: so the only other route you can go down is trying to find a couple of bike shops that could come up with similar bikes you could try but you'd need measurements of the 2 bikes to go off :( ..
    You must treat others with respect in order to be respected ..
    09 5.2 Rockrider budget rescue . viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=13033836&p=19671152#p19670604
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    kevinscott wrote:
    Would be nice to get a chance to give each a test, however both are available mail order from Chain Reaction Cycles. No where else sells the Vitus at least
    That's because Vitus is CRC's own brand......

Add gears and better other parts for £60 more with the Voodoo Marasa?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Dont think a 700c wheels are suitable for what I want to use the bike for. Wanting a 29er preferably...
  • dhobiwallah
    dhobiwallah Posts: 272
    People eulogise about how a hard tail sharpens your skills, forcing you to pick better lines and then pooh pooh a rigid. Same thing but moreso.

Main problem I found with a ss is riding with geared riders (if you are all of similar fitness levels). SS tend to be faster uphill (as you have no choice but to push a high gear - no spinning in the granny ring!). But after you have your breath back at the top waiting for your mates you run out of legs on the downs spinning till your cranks can't keep up with your coasting speed and everyone leaves you in the dust... This means I tend to ride my SS only if I am out on my own...
  • All this and I still cant decide over a Rigid Single speed or a half decent Hard Trail with some gears!!
  • kevinscott wrote:
    Dont think a 700c wheels are suitable for what I want to use the bike for. Wanting a 29er preferably...

in fact it's the same...

kona unit.

not need to say more