The 'bejesus razor blades are expensive' thread.

OCLV74
OCLV74 Posts: 53
edited April 2013 in The Crudcatcher
Being a somewhat senior citizen, (well, rolling towards 40!) I was just shaving, and figured I'd pass on this tip. I currently use a 'fusion' (no power or any of that crap!), however I have noticed that 4 blades are like 8 squid! The current blade I am using is coming up to it's 12 months. I don't have bumfluff beard hair, far from it, it's like damn steel! However, I caught a tip from a random website last year and it's so easy. DON'T STORE YOUR RAZOR IN THE BATHROOM.

Thing that makes the blades blunt is the oxidisation on them, and guess where that can happen the best? In a nice humid/damp place everyday.. ie the bathroom. What I do, is shave, I use a nice shave oil, (can go all extravagant with the savings I make, lets face it, the lube strip on even an expensive blade is rubbish.) shave my visage, then wash the razor out, then tamp it dry with a towel etc, then keep in bedside cupboard. Honestly, when you consider how much these damn things cost, I think £8 quid a year (changing blade every 3 months) is not too bad at all. Oh, I shall add, I shave every other day, can't shave everyday, face goes nuts.

Sorry it's random, but try it, if you are like a mate of mine who throws them away after 2 shaves, saves plenty of beer-tokens.
It is written in The Bible, wasps were born from Satan's butthole and must be cleansed with fire, firearms, or vacuum cleaners.

Comments

• rgliniany
    rgliniany Posts: 753
    2966300813_107e905b3f.jpg

^ this plus..... tumblr_m3pmdaPJgg1qgksvxo1_500.gif
    It's a boy , It's a boy , I Shouted Running Into The Street With Tears Running Down My Face.....

That's The Last Time I Holiday In Thailand

URL Pinkbike
  • steve6690
    steve6690 Posts: 190
    Or, as I've recently done, scrap those stupid multi blade gizmos and get a DE razor. Then learn how to shave properly. Currently costing me 10p a fortnight in blades.
  • thekickingmule
    thekickingmule Posts: 7,957
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTTJBwO2OtPUuB8eo18vbTU56LjLVGOnZzwEERyieT920X2-kT7-g
    It takes as much courage to have tried and failed as it does to have tried and succeeded.
    Join us on UK-MTB we won't bite, but bring cake!
    Blender Cube AMS Pro
  • gavbarron
    gavbarron Posts: 824
    Cut throat razor, or straight edge if you prefer to call it that. Either learn to sharpen on a strap and then your only cost is a bit of shaving soap every now and then, or get one with replaceable blades and buy a pack for a few quid every now and then. I changed a few years back and saved a packet since compared to using Gillette Quattro Super Turbo Fusion Gold Edition Special Limited Edition Face Massaging razors.
    And once you have the hang of it it's a close shave and just as quick as a guarded blade
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What do you use on your legs?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • gavbarron
    Imac or whatever it's called, lasts longer than shaving. Would wax but I figure I suffer enough on the bike to have to suffer off it too
  • bwfc4eva868
    bwfc4eva868 Posts: 717
    I'm too lazy do all that farting about. I rinse it off and shove it in the soap dish. If I come to shave and it hacks my face off I whack a new blade on. I'm not rich but don't find a tenner for some blades too bad.
  • gavbarron
    I'm too lazy do all that farting about. I rinse it off and shove it in the soap dish. If I come to shave and it hacks my face off I don't care.

Fixed that for you because you're northern. :wink: I moved south and instantly went soft. For the ultimate cheap no frills shave, my uncle (still a 'proper' Manc) dry shaves with a disposable. Rather him than me
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    dafuq-is-this-shit.jpg
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,861
    just buy a merkur futur, eventually you save money as the blades are so cheap
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    I am going to look for Emo Kiddie groups on Facebook and link this Thread, thus ensuring those over sensitive, self destructive little basterds bleed out efficiently and quickly when they feel the need to bleed for attention..
  • Gazlar
    Gazlar Posts: 8,084
    Fortunately, after reading this thread, I only needed to use my raor blades twice......once on each wrist as I bleed to death slowly in my bathtub so as to forget having ever read this thread

Disclaimer:- Just incase anyone was worried about me, I havent really slit my wrists, so dont worry

I took an overdose instead

not really, I'm fine
    Mountain biking is like sex.......more fun when someone else is getting hurt
    Amy
    Farnsworth
    Zapp
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Hahaha
  • Bishbosh10
    Bishbosh10 Posts: 268
    Sorry to do something as stupid as quote some facts in here, but aren't razor blades stainless steel............?
    2011 Giant Trance Ltd, 2016 Revs, XT bits etc.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    You tell us, you're the self proclaimed expert.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Passive oxide layer. They do not rust. But this is the best way:

knife-shave.jpg
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    cooldad wrote:
    What do you use on your legs?

Or aarrse of course?
  • Lagrange
    Lagrange Posts: 652
    [quote="Gazlar

not really, I'm fine[/size][/quote]

Pity.

Actually I did have a question my boy was on the bridge and waved at the Stansted Express and the driver just ignored him. Was that you?