Fitting Boxxers

trigger118
trigger118 Posts: 191
edited May 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

Hopefully a very simple yes or no question

will these fit
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=85113

It's to go on my Norco Shore 2 which currently has a set of Domains with a 1.5 steerer, I know I would have to get a reducer headset as the Boxxers are 1 1/8th

My main question is dont Boxxers usually have a short/tall crown option? or is that not the case anymore?

My current axle is a 20mm too so no problem there as far as I see it

Have I missed anything?

Thanks
2010 Norco Shore 2
2007 Commencal MaxMax
2013 Nukeproof Mega AM

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    measure your stack height and then ask CRC what the forks will fit. as they may not be aftermarket ones.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • trigger118
    cheers Nick, is the stack height just the headtube height or including spacers or what? Never needed to measure it before!
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Including headset.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • trigger118
    so from lower race to top of top cap?
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • trigger118
    its ok I've found this page

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... and-sizing

cheers guys :)
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • trigger118
    As I would need to get a new headset anyway could I not get the forks and then get the headset to work with it?
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • nicklouse
    first download the fitting instructions from Srams webby.

they list the stack heights that the flat and drop crowns work with. them measure yours and see.

not all frames designed to work with single crown forks will work with dual crown forks.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • trigger118
    Ok cheers Nick, I'm pretty confident that it could work as there are pictures of them with dual crown forks on, including some with boxxers, just need to find the matching headset etc I guess! Never replaced a headset or looked at stack heights or anything so it's a whole new world to me!

From reading around all new headsets should say the stack height on them, correct?
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • trigger118
    Sorry somehow I've still not managed to grasp this! If I take the total stack height of a headset on CRC e.g.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=25722
    so 28.7mm in this case

and if I add that to the total measurement of my headtube, not including races then thats my stack height, maybe?

haha sorry guys!
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes, length of head tube plus advertise headset stack height has to be within what that particular set of forks can work with.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    With a 1.5" head tube and a 1 1/8" steerer you'll be able to get rid of a hell of a lot of the headset stack height by using integral top and bottom cups. Check out Hope Pick 'n' Mix headsets
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • trigger118
    Ok so I've been measuring, my current total height from crown to top cap is 224mm, thats with a 50mm stem in there and a headtube of 129mm. A new direct mount stem would remove the stem width from the equation (correct me if I'm wrong here please!)

and a new reducer headset like this one
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=25722

That would leave me with a headtube of 129mm and a stack height of 28.7 mm so 157.7mm altogether.

I'm struggling to find the 2013 Boxxer manual on the Sram site but it seems to be the case that under 160mm is a short crown and over 160mm is a tall crown. I rang CRC this morning and they are seeing which crown it will come with and are going to ring me back. Hopefully with the measurements of what sizes they work with too.

Correct or have I missed something?

Cheers for all your help guys I'm almost there!
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • nicklouse
    why measure to the top cap?

you only need crown race to top of headset. stem etc are not measured.
  • trigger118
    Luckily I measured everything I could find before coming home.

Top of Headtube to top cap is 82mm, minus the 50mm from the stem leaves 32mm and then minus a few for the top cap I guess. How important is this as I will need a new headset anyway?

(edit) I'm stupid, just realised that will obviously included any spacers. But I'm wondering how much the old headset height matters?

(another edit) I'm officially an idiot, sorry Nick I clearly didnt read your post properly.

Bottom Race = 10mm
    Headtube = 129mm
    Top of headtube - top cap = 82mm
    Stem = 50mm

So I make that:
    10mm + 129mm + (82mm - 50mm - top cap and spacers)
    =171mm - top cap and spacers

Thats for the current headset however which would be replaced by the reducer one.
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM
  • trigger118
    Ok so CRC say that the forks come with both crowns and the short crown is for up to 148mm and the tall up to 168mm.

I would rather use the short crown (purely for aesthetic reasons) and I would need a new headset anyway as my current is a 1.5 steerer. Therefore considering a zero stack headset as Felix suggested earlier, been looking at this one :
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=18085
    Can anyone reccomend anything else, preferably not as pricey?

Cheers
    2010 Norco Shore 2
    2007 Commencal MaxMax
    2013 Nukeproof Mega AM