Shimano Wheels

monkeyeatsps3
monkeyeatsps3 Posts: 46
edited April 2013 in Road buying advice
Hi

I've been looking for a set of rims for my road bike which at the moment is standard. I have decided on the shimano dura-ace but I'm not sure if 1) to get tubular or clincher, tubular being better but harder to replace the tyre and the tyres are more expensive than clincher's or 2) what depth of rim to get.

I normally ride on both hilly and flat roads, the wheels needing to handle lots of rider weight isn't a problem and I like speed and sprinting :D

Cheers, Theo

EDIT: here are the wheels :http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/publish/content/global_cycle/en/nl/index/components/wheels/road_wheels.html

Comments

• In my opinion and experience there are two very viable options:

1: c50 tubs, use them on nice (race) days and pack a bottle of vittoria pitstop.
    2: c35 clinchers, use them every day and enjoy them every day.

what bike?
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Nothing hard about replacing a tub. In fact it is easier than replacing an inner tube. I went ot on a club ride with tubs once and predicably punctured (gator skin tub had it's side wall destroyed by a flint!) It was of and replaced in minutes. Everyone was suprised at how quick the change was. Take a can of pit stop and a spare tub with you.

As for rim depth be honest with your self about how fast yo ride. If you can sstain 25+ mph speeds on the flat then a deep rim will help a little. If you are a mere mortal then you will be wasting your money on deep rims as they will give almost no benefit. Physics is universal.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • My average speed is about 18mph but I think that's pretty good considering I'm only 13.

And in reply to chris, the name of the bike doesn't spring to mind at the moment, it was about £400 but hoping to upgrade the frame soon to properly a spezialed or giant keeping the shimano wheels.

Thanks for the quick replies!
  • duckson
    duckson Posts: 961
    Bought some DuraAce C24's clinchers last week, done about 60 miles on them and they are fantastic, they feel light (they are) and make a big difference to my previous American Classic Victory 30's on the rough stuff plus they give more confidence in the corners.
    Cheers, Stu
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    You're prepared to spend almost 2k (of someones money) for a wheelset that's going on a 400 quid bike? Really?
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Grill wrote:
    You're prepared to spend almost 2k (of someones money) for a wheelset that's going on a 400 quid bike? Really?

...and for a lad who is 13 and doesn't even know the manufacturer of the bike he rides but wants to drop huge chunks of cash on wheels. Unbelievable. Those marketing men have a lot to answer for.

Edit: Theo, go back to basics. Work out what you want to achieve and see what is stopping you achieve what your objective. It could be your bike (or some part of it), then again it could be your fitness, training, etc.
  • all I can say monkeyeatsps3... I have admiration for you dedication!!
    I started young too, and all the steps I took till this point have helped me,
    no matter how ridiculous other people may have believed them to be.
    (like buying the my first carbon soled shoes from a whole years savings!)

Wheels (as well as a good frame) are a good thing to invest in but it doesn't have to cost you a grand or more.
    Get a LBS you trust or hear good things about to build you a pair for half the prize and you'll be laughing..
    If you're thinking about racing in the near future get them tubs..
  • Thanks chris

After some more research I'm going to go for some Chinese carbon wheels for £150 (£200 with p8p)for mostly sunny runs

Theo
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,234
    Thanks chris

After some more research I'm going to go for some Chinese carbon wheels for £150 (£200 with p8p)for mostly sunny runs

Theo

Seems a bit too little... make sure you buy from one of the recommended sellers, as many of these Chinese wheels are junk... Read the long Chinese wheels thread on this section and go for those which are well reviewed (possibly by people who have ridden them well beyond the end of their drive)... if in doubt, Planet X is your best friend, at least you are dealing with someone who can honour a warranty
    left the forum March 2023
  • I did look at the Chinese wheel tread which is where i found the deal. The deal is with carbon zone on ebay who seem to have great reviews on here. Thanks anyway ugo,I Check in Plant x as well