Schwable Rapid Rob tyres

Stoney01
Stoney01 Posts: 7
edited April 2013 in MTB general
Has anyone had problems with Schwable Rapid Rob 26 x 2.25" tyres being less than expected width......<2.1"???

Comments

• benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Tyres are rarely the size on the packet. Rapid robs are cheaper end, so probably likely to come up small to save a bit on rubber. Depends on rim width too.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and then there is the meathod of measurement.
    carcass or Knobs.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Stoney01
    Sorry but i thought this was a serious question be to shared with knowledgeable persons for a sensible response....not friggin muppets!

Yes, these are low end spec but thats not the point. several tyres were Measured at same pressures on identical rims against original tyres using a digital vernier caliper by a competent person!

No problems found with older tyres but 3 brand new tyres from different sources were found to be all under 2.1", which is less than the ETRTO minimum tolerances. Awaiting a response from Manufacturer.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Stoney01 wrote:
    Sorry but i thought this was a serious question be to shared with knowledgeable persons for a sensible response....not friggin muppets!

I don't see anything wrong with the 2 answers you received.
    Benpinnick is stating observations and nicklouse is questioning where the measurement datum points are.

Calling them 'friggin muppets' isn't the best way to introduce yourself to a forum.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Wow, wind your neck in a bit eh!?

There is no standard way of measuring a tyre, and very very few come up exactly as sized. This is nothing new. I don't really know what you expect from the manufacturer, sure they'll have a way of measuring them as claimed. A 2.25" Schwalbe is bigger than a 2.1" and smaller than a 2.4", that's about it...

Compare an old Tioga Factory DH 2.1" to an old Panaracer Fire XC 2.1" and they're not even close to being the same size. It's not the age of the tyre, there's just no standard.
  • Stoney01
    Fair point and a little over reaction to a Knob comment but my grovelling apologies for any offence!

Totally understand comments on different tyres, variance in manufacturing process and other factors. These are all the same make, measured accurately across carcass width, clear of any tread profile. Very noticeable difference visually and although stamped as 2.25 they are equal or less than the 2.1 versions.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Stoney01 wrote:
    Fair point and a little over reaction to a Knob comment but my grovelling apologies for any offence!

Totally understand comments on different tyres, variance in manufacturing process and other factors. These are all the same make, measured accurately across carcass width, clear of any tread profile. Very noticeable difference visually and although stamped as 2.25 they are equal or less than the 2.1 versions.
    are they on the same rim? and highlighted above is your possible problem.

some reading for you http://www.schwalbetires.com/tech_info/ ... ions#ETRTO
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Fit a 2.25" tyre to a 17mm rim and then a 28mm rim and you get 2 different widths....which would you like to be used when quoting the width?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Stoney01
    Identical rims and tubes used to eliminate error
    Fill volume to pressurise new tyres versus old is also far less
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    So we come full circle to this
    njee20 wrote:
    This is nothing new. I don't really know what you expect from the manufacturer, sure they'll have a way of measuring them as claimed. A 2.25" Schwalbe is bigger than a 2.1" and smaller than a 2.4"
  • The Rookie
    Stoney01 wrote:
    Identical rims and tubes used to eliminate error
    Fill volume to pressurise new tyres versus old is also far less
    As some tyres won't fit some rims, that fails at the very first step.
    There are no accepted standards, so maybe each manufacturer already does the fitting of each size to a matching rim size - just no need to tell us what.

Write a standard that will work and then you'll get some credability.......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Stoney01 wrote:
    Awaiting a response from Manufacturer.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

wait...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I suggest a strongly worded letter to the Mail.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • milko9000
    milko9000 Posts: 533
    Stoney01 wrote:

Haha wait a minute did you think he was calling you a knob? He's stating that it depends also on if you're measuring the tyre carcass itself or from how wide the knobs extend beyond that. As different manufacturers likely do or don't do this. Maybe tread instead of knobs would've been a better choice!
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Nope, knob was about right
  • Stoney01
    Thanks for those who gave the constructive comments.

Doesn't really matter where the width was measured in this particular case, carcass, treads or "knobs" for that matter. The purpose was was a genuine post to see if anyone had come across the same problem with the same tyre.
    The difference was around 6mm less in width on 3 recently supplied new tyres against 3 older tyres of the same make/model on the same rims at the same pressure, with the wider tyre appearing to be no different to the narrower version of the same make/model being sold. Looked a bit suspect, hence the straight question if anyone else had noticed.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,396
    Yes we have, yes it's the same for every tyre, from every manufacturer, at every price level and across every discipline.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • The Rookie
    Maybe if you'd put the wider tyres on the wider rims the manufacturer measures it on it would have come up wider.....

Nothing your saying is news (as in new information).....
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    To be fair I think some people are misreading it, I must say I've never seen a marked variation in a single tyre - I've had about 5 pairs of Rocket Rons and whilst they vary hugely compared to other 2.1"s they're all about the same as each other.

If there's a significant time gap perhaps they've changed the carcass, but Robs haven't been around very long.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,396
    I ve never measured a tire before...why would you?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Stoney01
    ddraver wrote:
    I ve never measured a tire before...why would you?

Raised by a customer, side by side they were visually and very noticeably different, not what was considered to be a minor or typical variation, hence asking the question. Age between old and new tyres was <12 months. If they were different makes on different rims we wouldn't have bothered!
  • milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    Probably produced in completely different factories with different tooling.
    6mm is hardly going to be noticeable when riding though. Put the fatter one on the front and jobs a good'n.
  • lbalony
    lbalony Posts: 301
    I have had the same problem. I bought 16 Rapid robs and when. I opened one of the boxes it was a 1.2 with no 'knobs'.

Its thinner than the rim. I look a right knob. :D